Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

Simcity preview

Anyone else play the pre-launch "beta 3" tonight? It kind of blew me away....

It was basically just a pre-launch stress test of the server for 4 hours. Took a half hour to download and install, and I experienced a time warp -- skipped dinner, neglected the dogs, and apparently the woman came home from work all without me noticing.

The game's not simple or easy, like some people were claiming during the first 2 betas. Things get hairy fast, especially with the limited map space, and you can paint yourself into a corner. I barely even started to mess with other zones in the region when the test session ended abruptly, and holy crap, it's 11:00.

I'm going to waste some serious time on this, I can tell already.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
Nope. I tried to get into the beta and could not get in, and I usually get into them. I'm planning to get this though, along with the sims 3 university expansion and buying into the Arma 3 supporter thing.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
Conroe, TX
reply to jester121
Oh when you do play, btw, let us know about the graphics. I read some where else that people said the graphics were horrible, which I find very difficult to believe.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
SimCity is not a graphics game, its a numbers game. People are dumb.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

3 recommendations

Sim City 5 isn't a game.

It's DRM with a UI

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to jester121
Almost got interested then remembered EA.

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ
reply to jester121
Not a bad game... I will wait for a bit until the price comes down.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Sim City 5 isn't a game.

It's DRM with a UI

The hate is deep within this one.
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ
said by Savious:

said by Mike:

Sim City 5 isn't a game.

It's DRM with a UI

The hate is deep within this one.

LOL.... "What will I find in there..." "Only what you bring in"
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Sim City 5 isn't a game.

It's DRM with a UI

Now that's funny, / of thread
--
~ Project Hope ~

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to jester121
People are saying the graphics are horrible? What the hell is up with some of those promotional screenies I saw that looked so awesome?

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
You mean like the Alien Colonel Marines early screen shots?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Those weren't screenshots... it was gameplay* footage*!

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
True. I'm still mad, bro. Gearbox is balls.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
Conroe, TX
reply to jester121
Which edition are you getting?

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Sim City 5 isn't a game.

It's DRM with a UI

No kidding. Multi-layered DRM at that, like a fucking wedding cake. And each layer makes you puke a little more.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to atuarre
I got the whole magilla, it was my self-gift for Christmas this year (well, it was the only one the woman knows about -- we won't discuss the couple of new firearms that magically appeared in the safe downstairs...)

She used to play the Sims and has been watching over my shoulder a bit, I may end up buying her a copy too. The game's very approachable for newbies, I think more so than any previous Simcity title.

I'm not sure what to say about the graphics, I don't have a great card and it looked fine to me, but I may not have discerning taste. There was absolutely no lag on my (what was high end) 3 year old rig.

They're doing some 4 hour scenario demos and webcasting them this week, once you get past the annoying dweebs that are providing commentary it's pretty interesting. Some of the amazing details that are actually simulated are amazing, where before everything was a statistical calculation behind the scenes with a preprogrammed visual.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

said by Mike:

Sim City 5 isn't a game.

It's DRM with a UI

No kidding. Multi-layered DRM at that, like a fucking wedding cake. And each layer makes you puke a little more.

*yawn*

For me the fun factor far outweighs imaginary, speculative grievances against DRM or EA or communists or the dingo that ate my DRM baby. If it's a problem, I'll complain then. Until then, I guess haters gotta hate.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I stopped playing Battlefield 3 because I could never log in.

You can't play your game at all if you're not online. There is no offline play.

If EA's servers are down, you're toast.

Wait until you can't login for a few days since EA's login servers are Packard Bell 66mhz with 32mb of RAM.

I'll buy it when it's in the $5 discount bin probably, then apply the offline "fix".

--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
I just went to the battlelog URL in my browser and skipped Origin. It'd have to sync briefly, but then you are totally inside the browser.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Wait until you can't login for a few days since EA's login servers are Packard Bell 66mhz with 32mb of RAM.

I'll buy it when it's in the $5 discount bin probably, then apply the offline "fix".

They're actually hosted on Amazon's S3. Not bulletproof, but probably pretty resilient. I play lots of online-only games... not a big deal to me personally, but I can understand the concern for others.

I'm not saying won't be cracked, but given the integration of the global marketplace stuff and other features, the offline sandbox mode seems like it would be a lot less fun.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Not sure what to tell you, I have played and continue to play a LOT of bf3 and I think with my entire time playing I was only unable to login once.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to jester121
No but I got into beta 2 which I had a lot of fun with!

Tuesday can not come quick enough!

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to Ryan
said by Ryan:

said by Mike:

Not sure what to tell you, I have played and continue to play a LOT of bf3 and I think with my entire time playing I was only unable to login once.

Same here.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
reply to jester121
This is EA. Most of their games are rushed products that are under-developed and over-hyped money grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if the game servers will be closed with every new annual "update". Be ready for SimCity 2014, SimCity 2015, ad nauseum.

Diablo 3 is the last always online game for me. I tried it, I hated it. No more Activision/Blizzard products for me unless I put in ton of research and wait for others to try it first. Same goes for EA products. I have already discovered enough info about this new iteration of SimCity to know that it will not be the wonderful new update to a most beloved game series from my past.

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by jmn1207:

This is EA. Most of their games are rushed products that are under-developed and over-hyped money grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if the game servers will be closed with every new annual "update". Be ready for SimCity 2014, SimCity 2015, ad nauseum.

Diablo 3 is the last always online game for me. I tried it, I hated it. No more Activision/Blizzard products for me unless I put in ton of research and wait for others to try it first. Same goes for EA products. I have already discovered enough info about this new iteration of SimCity to know that it will not be the wonderful new update to a most beloved game series from my past.

I disagree. You lose out in all the fun too.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207
said by jmn1207:

I have already discovered enough info about this new iteration of SimCity to know that it will not be the wonderful new update to a most beloved game series from my past.

Fair enough. I had enough fun in 4 hours of play the other night, multiple 1 hr session in beta 2, along with watching a bunch of webcasts, to know without a doubt that I'll get hundreds of hours of fun for my money.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to atuarre
said by atuarre:

Oh when you do play, btw, let us know about the graphics. I read some where else that people said the graphics were horrible, which I find very difficult to believe.

I felt the graphics were good enough. I did like the terrain better in Cities XL, and perhaps the graphics a bit nicer. However the SimCity gameplay and depth were definately much better. That being said I only played the initial beta with a mid-level GPU. I'm sure it won't be good enough for some. There's always one in a crowd.

The only common concern is that the maps do seem small. This may make the gameplay in later game more strategic and challenging. However if you've ever played larger maps in the older sim cities, you are definately going have to change expectations to avoid dissappointment. I did have fun with the 1 hour "beta" and plan to get the game.

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to jester121
Do you all think there will be any server problems when the game is released ?

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
Probably a couple here and there, they did a 4 hour stress test last week and I was getting good download speed and had no server problems. Unlike most games it's not latency sensitive so I'm not expecting problems, and any that do crop up probably won't linger.