jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Mike

Re: Simcity preview

said by Mike:

Wait until you can't login for a few days since EA's login servers are Packard Bell 66mhz with 32mb of RAM.

I'll buy it when it's in the $5 discount bin probably, then apply the offline "fix".

They're actually hosted on Amazon's S3. Not bulletproof, but probably pretty resilient. I play lots of online-only games... not a big deal to me personally, but I can understand the concern for others.

I'm not saying won't be cracked, but given the integration of the global marketplace stuff and other features, the offline sandbox mode seems like it would be a lot less fun.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike

said by Mike:

I stopped playing Battlefield 3 because I could never log in.

You can't play your game at all if you're not online. There is no offline play.

If EA's servers are down, you're toast.

Wait until you can't login for a few days since EA's login servers are Packard Bell 66mhz with 32mb of RAM.

I'll buy it when it's in the $5 discount bin probably, then apply the offline "fix".

Not sure what to tell you, I have played and continue to play a LOT of bf3 and I think with my entire time playing I was only unable to login once.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to jester121

No but I got into beta 2 which I had a lot of fun with!

Tuesday can not come quick enough!

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to Ryan

said by Ryan:

said by Mike:

I stopped playing Battlefield 3 because I could never log in.

You can't play your game at all if you're not online. There is no offline play.

If EA's servers are down, you're toast.

Not sure what to tell you, I have played and continue to play a LOT of bf3 and I think with my entire time playing I was only unable to login once.

Same here.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to jester121

This is EA. Most of their games are rushed products that are under-developed and over-hyped money grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if the game servers will be closed with every new annual "update". Be ready for SimCity 2014, SimCity 2015, ad nauseum.

Diablo 3 is the last always online game for me. I tried it, I hated it. No more Activision/Blizzard products for me unless I put in ton of research and wait for others to try it first. Same goes for EA products. I have already discovered enough info about this new iteration of SimCity to know that it will not be the wonderful new update to a most beloved game series from my past.

Premium
Kenner, LA

said by jmn1207:

This is EA. Most of their games are rushed products that are under-developed and over-hyped money grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if the game servers will be closed with every new annual "update". Be ready for SimCity 2014, SimCity 2015, ad nauseum.

Diablo 3 is the last always online game for me. I tried it, I hated it. No more Activision/Blizzard products for me unless I put in ton of research and wait for others to try it first. Same goes for EA products. I have already discovered enough info about this new iteration of SimCity to know that it will not be the wonderful new update to a most beloved game series from my past.

I disagree. You lose out in all the fun too.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

I have already discovered enough info about this new iteration of SimCity to know that it will not be the wonderful new update to a most beloved game series from my past.

Fair enough. I had enough fun in 4 hours of play the other night, multiple 1 hr session in beta 2, along with watching a bunch of webcasts, to know without a doubt that I'll get hundreds of hours of fun for my money.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to atuarre

said by atuarre:

Oh when you do play, btw, let us know about the graphics. I read some where else that people said the graphics were horrible, which I find very difficult to believe.

I felt the graphics were good enough. I did like the terrain better in Cities XL, and perhaps the graphics a bit nicer. However the SimCity gameplay and depth were definately much better. That being said I only played the initial beta with a mid-level GPU. I'm sure it won't be good enough for some. There's always one in a crowd.

The only common concern is that the maps do seem small. This may make the gameplay in later game more strategic and challenging. However if you've ever played larger maps in the older sim cities, you are definately going have to change expectations to avoid dissappointment. I did have fun with the 1 hour "beta" and plan to get the game.

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to jester121

Do you all think there will be any server problems when the game is released ?

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

Probably a couple here and there, they did a 4 hour stress test last week and I was getting good download speed and had no server problems. Unlike most games it's not latency sensitive so I'm not expecting problems, and any that do crop up probably won't linger.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to jester121

Sim City comes out tomorrow! You can get into the Arma 3 alpha.

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to jester121

Arma 3 alpha sucks.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to atuarre

I'm thinking about pre-ordering Simcity today. Origin currently has a deal that gives you $20 off your next purchase when you preorder the new Simcity.

The deal ends tonight (March 4th) at midnight though, so I have today to decide if I should do it or not. I've held off on the preorder up to this point but I might pull the trigger on this. $20 off another game isn't a bad deal.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to jester121

How much is this game going for?

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

$25.

There, anti-EA rant averted. Nothing to see here, move along.

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to jester121

Here I am playing simcity 5 right now. »www.twitch.tv/zulhardy

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to Archivis

$59.99

I just placed my preorder just now on Amazon. I do alot of shopping through Amazon and they're offering a $20 credit with the game. So for me, it was better to buy through Amazon because I use them on a daily basis. I can use the $20 towards anything I want without being limited by putting it towards another game like on Origin.

For me, thats a win. And because I'm an Amazon Prime member, I get 2 day shipping. I elected to get the physical disc (if I ever want to sell it later on) instead of downloading it and it will only take a day or two. I can wait, I have alot of things (games!!)on my plate right now.

@Jester - Where do you see it for $25? I don't know if you're being sarcastic or you really got it for that price, or from eBay or something.

ADD: I'll probably use the $20 credit on Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. Which means I'll have it for just $20 ($39.99 MSRP).

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to TruSm0ke

Early reviews are saying the area you can use to build your cities is very limited...., one dude said he reached 30,000 citizens and he was already out of space to build...

So..I don't know if he's just playing it wrong, or some thing is rotten in Denmark.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

He's playing it wrong. Not that you couldn't put sparsely-zoned residential from one end of the map to the other and end up having a full map with 30k, but that's not the idea of the game. I saw reports from the various beta testers of well north of 100K in just an hour. The game probably won't appeal to the spreadsheet nerds of previous Simcity releases, the min/maxer types, who get off on having the highest population with nearly limitless space and then not doing anything fun with it.

Unlike before, there's one level of zoning for each of RCI, and it's the type of road that determines max density. Zoning is also free (I can't remember if it was Simcity or CitiesXL or both that charged you to zone an area). Shacks get torn down on their own and upgraded to houses, townhomes, apartments, mansions, skycrapers, without needing to rezone.

said by TruSm0ke:

@Jester - Where do you see it for $25? I don't know if you're being sarcastic

Indeed, I was, after the ranting in that other EA thread.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to jester121

Game isn't out yet and there are bugs preventing you from accessing a city

»kotaku.com/5988286/simcity-won-a···culation

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to atuarre

said by atuarre:

So..I don't know if he's just playing it wrong, or some thing is rotten in Denmark.

Like my post says above. The maps do seem small. However it appears the small maps also create for more focused game play and strategy.

EA has lived streamed 4 hours * 7 days of game play highlighting various features and some interviews with the developers. The commentator get a bit loopy as the week goes on but it may be worth watching some of the videos and jumping around to look for the interesting parts. Watching the gameplay alleviated my concerns about the small maps. You can see it here: »new.livestream.com/accounts/2987···archives

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to TigerLord

TL, DR.

The game launched at midnight eastern time, they staged the initial release and some people weren't able to start the download right at 12:00:01 precisely so there was a lot of bitching on their Facebook/Twitter, but that's to be expected. I was downloading by 11:20 and in game playing by 11:45 (central), and nary a glitch or hiccup.

I think the biggest thing with the smaller maps is that the region-based play means you'll be juggling anywhere from 3-16 specialized cities, sharing stuff back and forth, etc.

I think my favorite part so far is being able to expand/customize stuff like the police/fire stations, instead of each one just having a circular radius and having to throw down more once you expanded in a certain direction. Just add on more truck bays and your city is covered, or upgrade your police station with a helipad and it's expanded. Oh, and not having to dick around with underground water pipes and electrical wire... that sucked a lot (it just follows the road now).

Premium
Kenner, LA

said by jester121:

TL, DR.

The game launched at midnight eastern time, they staged the initial release and some people weren't able to start the download right at 12:00:01 precisely so there was a lot of bitching on their Facebook/Twitter, but that's to be expected. I was downloading by 11:20 and in game playing by 11:45 (central), and nary a glitch or hiccup.

I think the biggest thing with the smaller maps is that the region-based play means you'll be juggling anywhere from 3-16 specialized cities, sharing stuff back and forth, etc.

I think my favorite part so far is being able to expand/customize stuff like the police/fire stations, instead of each one just having a circular radius and having to throw down more once you expanded in a certain direction. Just add on more truck bays and your city is covered, or upgrade your police station with a helipad and it's expanded. Oh, and not having to dick around with underground water pipes and electrical wire... that sucked a lot (it just follows the road now).

I totally agree!

Very good release. Went better than Blizzard that is for sure. I am happy with EA. Sure the download was late by 1 hour 30 mins but that is understandable. Once you got that email it was go time! I think fixing the problems in less than 2 hours is amazing.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

20 minutes for me, not 1:30. Weak sarcasm noted, and dismissed.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to jester121

»i.imgur.com/u4DVg94.png

Stop giving EA money.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

I would love to have this game so much, but I would rather not have it and not give them a dime than to support this shit.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to jester121

Maybe they will merge it with the next Need For Speed and Madden....

You have to buy everything with real money and everything links to Facebook/Twitter.

It could be called: "John Madden Need For Speed City Social Free"

You play the role of a football franchise owner that is also the mayor of a city that has a collection of fast cars. And the game actually links to your IRL checking account for easy in game purchasing.

EA can EAt me.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Mike

said by Mike:

»i.imgur.com/u4DVg94.png

Stop giving EA money.

Why? Sporadic problems on launch day for what is probably a vocal minority? If that was a death sentence none of us would ever buy any game ever.

I'm at about 6 hours of gameplay since last night and no problems.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Single player games should not require an internet connection or login server.

Sim City 5 has ruined the concept of single player gaming. Not everything has to be hooked up to the internet.

Each sale that occurs only promotes the movement.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Mike:

Single player games should not require an internet connection or login server.

Sim City 5 has ruined the concept of single player gaming. Not everything has to be hooked up to the internet.

Each sale that occurs only promotes the movement.

This is why Torchlight 2 is superior to Diablo 3. I can just play it. Internet or not.