Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121

Re: Simcity preview

I bought it. I love it. Servers are acting funky though. Erm, other than that, I have no complaints, except I do not know how to sell services, like trash service or sewage disposal to other cities.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to jester121

to jester121
Servers are running fine here.

I bet no one had the balls to say they added a server either.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to jester121

Mod

to jester121
reddit person has a good analogy...

Sim City DRM is like the soup nazi.

»www.reddit.com/r/Games/c ··· ontext=1

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
Took me 2 hrs to install after key validation problems. That ended around 2. Unable to play due to server load since.

In hindsight, I wonder if pirating the game would have been the better move. I took the day off to get many errands done, figuring I'd be home by noon to play the game, of which purchasing was one of errands. It all worked out, except for playing.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
It's not like you can return the game for a refund. EA is not going to buy enough servers to accommodate every player from day 1. In a few weeks, as people lose interest and move on the next thing, the servers should be able to handle the load better.

This is what happened with Diablo 3. Sure, millions could access the servers when the game was initially launched, but that left plenty that could not, or had significant issues with lag and disconnects. Just like with D3, there will be lots of players that will never experience an issue and fight to protect the publisher and claim that no problem exists at all.

EA knows exactly how many games are being made/sold, and they are fully aware that they have no hope in making the game available to play for everyone at the same time. They just need to ride out the first few weekends until the number of consecutive players accessing their servers drops a bit.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

to jester121
Like I said no one has the balls to admit they added servers.

to jester121
Click for full size
Even the two Busy servers I can still connect to so it is not a problem. No queue whatsoever.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
said by 90115534:

There are alot of people giving the game 0 because they don't like the DRM or are angry they can't make huge sweeping cities. Such ratings griefers are almost expected in a game this big and don't really do anything to help people looking for balanced opinions.

Off to play the game myself to see what I really think.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to jester121

to jester121
Good article:
»arstechnica.com/gaming/2 ··· or-this/

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
said by atuarre:

I bought it. I love it. Servers are acting funky though. Erm, other than that, I have no complaints, except I do not know how to sell services, like trash service or sewage disposal to other cities.

When you're in the city providing the service (not the purchasing one) pop out to region view and use the tabs at the bottom. For buses or trash or whatever, select how many units you want to offer up for sharing. That's it.

I've noticed a bit of lag at times before the server reconnects all the sharing stuff. I'd be careful sharing critical services like utilities or at least keep cash on hand for emergency fixes.
said by Mike:

As a non-gamer, this doesn't concern you.

Sure mike, whatever you say.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I got a good hour of game play in before the servers got overloaded. Which leads to probably the biggest criticism of this game: no offline mode.

That arstechnica article , while negative in tone, I think did accurately reflect some of the issues of game. (Except for the nuclear education issue. Their problem is what they hypothesized... no university). I did encounter a bug in which a fire station wouldn't open. I bulldozed it and built a new one and it was fine. Haven't gotten a city big enough to see if I encounter the same water and electric problems that they encountered.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the small maps. I definitely was initially disappointed but I am trying to keep an open mind to see how this multi-city regional map interplay makes up for this. The smaller maps will make for some challenges which will keep the game interesting. During the February Betas I definitely could fill the whole city in an hour... although it probably was highly inefficient. I do sincerely hope they will make some mega city maps for those times I just want relax and sprawl and not have to think too hard.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
Yeah...the north American east servers are a mess. I have been playing on the European server

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 edit

2 recommendations

Krisnatharok to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
Click for full size
***Please use the upload image feature.

lol

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0 to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
From what I've read so far, it sounds like this is another EA title I should pass on.

Big fan of the SimCity games growing up, it's a shame they let it stray away from what it should be.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

I just received my physical copy in the mail just now. Yeah baby!!

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by TRU:

I just received my physical copy in the mail just now. Yeah baby!!

And yet your copy is intangible, at the mercy of EA executives that are very proud to never green light a single-player game. It's all about the Benjamins. This is terrible for art.

»www.geek.com/articles/ga ··· 2012095/

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to jester121

to jester121
Not buying it until online DRM is deactivated and I can save my cities locally on my hard drive.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by TigerLord:

Not buying it until online DRM is deactivated and I can save my cities locally on my hard drive.

Good luck with that.

TigerLord

Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord

said by 90115534:

[
Good luck with that.

I give it a month before an offline pirated version exists.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
I got to play for a few hours today, i was having a good time, then the game crashed and when i started it back up the servers had gone down for a patch.

No warning no notification just Crash to desktop. :/

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Long Island

NaCl3

Premium Member

I was on the fence about pre-ordering but I'm glad I didn't. Since much of the data is kept server-side, I've been hearing about minutes to over half an hour of work being lost because the sync wouldn't work because the servers were overloaded and 20 minute queues. I'll wait on this until the servers are up to snuff.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

Yeah, I'd definitely wait.

I got a chance to play maybe 20 minutes before I lost connection to the servers. I have no idea how much progress was saved on my city. It was a piece of crap anyways...

I've played a total of 20 minutes today. I've tried to connect about 20 times but only got 1 chance to actually play. Things are pretty rough at this point.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

I did the tutorial, now I can't stay connected to any server. I don't play PC games much anymore, and this was one that I was really waiting for. What an unbelievable letdown so far, and such a poor start. I'm defeated. 8 hours of attempting yesterday, trying again this evening. I should have saved the $60 and spent it on beer.

eve8
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA

eve8

Premium Member

said by Jeff:

I did the tutorial, now I can't stay connected to any server. I don't play PC games much anymore, and this was one that I was really waiting for. What an unbelievable letdown so far, and such a poor start. I'm defeated. 8 hours of attempting yesterday, trying again this evening. I should have saved the $60 and spent it on beer.

It is frustrating... somewhat to be expected with a launch of a new game. I'm enjoying it even with the problematic servers.

I would just try again next week when things calm down.
eve8

eve8 to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
Click for full size
Click for full size
Just two screenies. The limited space does blow... I'm not sure how to expand after I get to about 85K in population.

Having said that, I love the strategy of it. Figuring out how to manage traffic is hell. As is maximizing resources without building residential zones downwind from the industrial zone... it's a challenge but a wonderful one.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

I had success building a dirty industrial/commercial city in one plot and a second education/residential/tourism city in the next town over, it's a delicate balance until you can get trains and big commuter buses set up but it it does work well.

One thing I did notice is having to move stuff around a lot more, like bulldozing big chunks to rearrange things. That's a hard adjustment, in previous games you could just keep expanding farther out and just play the waiting game for upgrades in the rest of the city.

Nice use of curvy roads, btw -- I've been doing a lot of big wedge-shaped zones and it so much more fun than the old X by X grid of perfect uniformity.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to jester121

to jester121
More problems:
»ca.ign.com/articles/2013 ··· progress

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

We get it... for some reason you hate EA....

The reviewer actually gave the game a really good review. I am sure the server issue will be fixed soon.

I am waiting til then to buy.

You know this is no different than many online games these days were launch day/week is usually really difficult.

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Long Island

NaCl3

Premium Member

I'm concerned with this trend of releasing completely unplayable AAA games and just saying "wait, it's an awesome game". It's not like EA got blindsided by the number of sales, they had a ton of pre-release promotions and 3 stress tests.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

to Mcrobrewer
said by Mcrobrewer:

You know this is no different than many online games these days were launch day/week is usually really difficult.

Can you name any "Single player online only" games that were heralded as an amazing game?