Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to fartness

Re: If I move to the country?

I can help with some of your questions.

First, DO NOT buy a property without high speed Internet. DSL doesn't count. Must be cable, FIOS, or something faster than DSL. Without it you'll be living in the last century for information and media streaming (or lack of streaming).

Next as to water, I have lived in several homes with well water. 2 were very good, 2 were not so good, one was awful. Hard water, or water that really smells, is going to make your life miserable. Often a home near a lake, or near a river, will have better water. However you'll want it tested, and you'll want to feel it on your hands and smell it. If it's very hard, if a glass gets full of foggy water, if the water has a methane trap, you probably don't want to live there.

Septic systems require drainage, and work best if there is some slope on at least the part of the property the septic is on. A flat septic, or a septic that is in a valley is more likely to have problems. Age of the septic, quality of the soil, and how regularly it was cleaned are all important. Get a septic person to evaluate your home.

As to age, once I lived in a farmhouse, it was adorable. Unfortunately the 3' thick stone walls, weren't good insulators. Even at 3' the insulation of stone is very bad. When there were walls, the wire wasn't up to code, and there was horse hair used as an insulator in some walls. Older homes can be appealing, but if they have fuses, 3 or 4 types of plumbing, or lack a ground on the outlets, it may be best to pass on the home.

Homes built until the mid 80's often had either optional insulation (on exterior walls) or R3 to R9. An older house (early 70's and older) may not have Tyvec or equivalent wrap, and will be drafty. Tyvec came on the market in 1967

You'll need to drive everywhere, and will need a very good car, and maybe a spare. You will also want to buy some things in bulk, and maybe have a large freezer. This permits long term storage of meat, and other staples. Your time to travel to a supermarket, and the cost of doing so will be higher than in an urban or suburban area.

Building a home can produce a wonderful place, but can be expensive, time consuming, and cause grief. In many rural areas power is not reliable during or after storms, and plowing of your driveway and even your road may not occur very quickly (if in a temperate area). Be prepared to be more self reliant, and think about an emergency generator that can power your home.

As to heat, check out oil, gas or propane. It is unlikely a rural home will have natural gas, and propane can be very overpriced or reasonably priced, a Realtor should be able to help with prices for fuels.

I live in a very quiet area, with great water, great Internet, a fantastic house and am blessed with wonderful neighbors. I don't plan to move. A wonderful home is priceless. I wish you similar good fortune.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by pandora:

First, DO NOT buy a property without high speed Internet. DSL doesn't count. Must be cable, FIOS, or something faster than DSL. Without it you'll be living in the last century for information and media streaming (or lack of streaming).

I don't know about the states, but in Canada, if you live in the country, you can count out DSL, fiber, and cable, as none of those services are available once you go more than a kilometer outside the city/town.

It's gonna be either dialup, satellite, 3G/4G, or fixed wireless (if you're lucky).

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to pandora

said by pandora:

I can help with some of your questions.

My wife has some very nice property in New Mexico. Think it may now have dsl available. If not the other side of the valley does and may have to start a wisp if one is not there or dsl when we move. Cable would be long after we die. That is why Direct TV or Dish exist.
Moving there eventually.
Point is country property in the west you are lucky to have a privately owned small convenience store within a ten miles. Otherwise it would be the city.