uniqs
share rss forum feed

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

More fees due to digital Upgrade

So I got a letter today that Comcast is moving channels to digital carriers and I will need to get a digital converter box for tv's that do not have them. Apparently, A DTA box will not work for this upgrade.

8$ For additional digital outlet that includes a cable box? So I have 2 TV's without a box so that's going to cost and extra 16$ a month?

Seriously? f**k you Comcast i'm already paying you $200 a month and you want $8 more per box for this upgrade?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

Why won't a DTA box work? Did the letter state that, or are you assuming?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits
reply to pclover

A dta will work. If you dont want to give comcast any more than you have to buy a tivo. This should probably be in the rants and raves forum like your post 2 months ago where you were complaining because comcast wouldnt upgrade your area.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to pclover

said by pclover:

So I got a letter today that Comcast is moving channels to digital carriers and I will need to get a digital converter box for tv's that do not have them. Apparently, A DTA box will not work for this upgrade.

8$ For additional digital outlet that includes a cable box? So I have 2 TV's without a box so that's going to cost and extra 16$ a month?

Seriously? f**k you Comcast i'm already paying you $200 a month and you want $8 more per box for this upgrade?

I assume you don't want a DTA ($2/each) because you want HD? Although if the TV's were direct connected, odds are the only HD you had was local broadcast. And even then, most areas still keep them unencrypted and a digital tuner TV can use them.

If they are older analog-only TV's, then a DTA should be fine and will give you access to more channels than most analog feeds ever had.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by andyross:

...Although if the TV's were direct connected, odds are the only HD you had was local broadcast. And even then, most areas still keep them unencrypted and a digital tuner TV can use them....

fwiw...

When my TV was direct-connected and Comcast was analog here, there were HD channels that were not local broadcast channels., e.g., TBS, TWC, a few shopping channels. Indeed, Comcast provides only one local broadcast channel in HD --- the Hartford PBS affiliate --- the rest of the local Connecticut channels are in SD.

Even after the switch to digital, there are still non-broadcast channels that come across in HD ClearQAM.

pclover

Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

said by pclover:

I assume you don't want a DTA ($2/each) because you want HD? Although if the TV's were direct connected, odds are the only HD you had was local broadcast. And even then, most areas still keep them unencrypted and a digital tuner TV can use them.

If they are older analog-only TV's, then a DTA should be fine and will give you access to more channels than most analog feeds ever had.

They told me specifically on the phone a DTA box will not work. A DTA box is only for Limited cable only. The channels they are in the Expanded Basic Cable. You can read that here »digitalnow.comcast.com/About_Dig···ate.aspx

And these are NON-HD TV's I told them that on the phone.

Hopefully, I get my speed upgrades out of this.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

2 edits

said by pclover:

They told me specifically on the phone a DTA box will not work. A DTA box is only for Limited cable only. The channels they are in the Expanded Basic Cable. You can read that here »digitalnow.comcast.com/About_Dig···ate.aspx

You obviously did NOT read it correctly:

quote:
If you have additional outlets, one of the following: digital adapter (which offers full digital quality picture and sound), CableCARD™ or digital converter.
And farther down the page:

quote:
All other customers (NOT limited subs) are eligible to receive a digital converter included at no additional charge with their primary outlet. The digital adapter Additional Outlet charge of $1.99 per month will apply to each additional outlet using digital adapter service. Certain markets may have alternative pricing.
What they are trying to tell you (unclearly) is:

- since your 1st/primary outlet already comes with a FULL (SD) box standard, a DTA would NOT be applicable
- my 1st bolded quote above from the very website you pointed us to, makes it pretty clear DTA's WILL very much work for expanded basic cable & above

This is exactly the same way CC does these conversions in other markets; yours is NO different!
Ignore the idiot CSR(s) that are FUD; just order your DTA's & be done with it!

pclover

Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dishrich:

said by pclover:

You obviously did NOT read it correctly:

quote:
If you have additional outlets, one of the following: digital adapter (which offers full digital quality picture and sound), CableCARD™ or digital converter.
And farther down the page:

quote:
All other customers (NOT limited subs) are eligible to receive a digital converter included at no additional charge with their primary outlet. The digital adapter Additional Outlet charge of $1.99 per month will apply to each additional outlet using digital adapter service. Certain markets may have alternative pricing.
What they are trying to tell you (unclearly) is:

- since your 1st/primary outlet already comes with a FULL (SD) box standard, a DTA would NOT be applicable
- my 2nd bolded quote above from the very website you pointed us to, makes it pretty clear DTA's WILL very much work for expanded basic cable & above

This is exactly the same way CC does these conversions in other markets; yours is NO different!
Ignore the idiot CSR(s) that are FUD; just order your DTA's & be done with it!

Thanks for that but i'm confused now.

"The digital adapter Additional Outlet charge of $1.99 per month will apply to each additional outlet using digital adapter service" This says the additional outlet charge but nothing about the cost of the box itself.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

said by pclover:

"The digital adapter Additional Outlet charge of $1.99 per month will apply to each additional outlet using digital adapter service" This says the additional outlet charge but nothing about the cost of the box itself.

The ($1.99) INCLUDES the actual DTA as well - TRUST US!!!

No different than a $8.95 full A/O charge includes the full (SD) box...

pclover

Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dishrich:

said by pclover:

The ($1.99) INCLUDES the actual DTA as well - TRUST US!!!

No different than a $8.95 full A/O charge includes the full (SD) box...

It appears that is so. Good Job to whoever wrote that letter and CSR reps. Seriously WTF.

Thanks for the help dealing with Comcast.