uniqs
share rss forum feed

Acanac Inc
Premium
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON
reply to mario9999998

Re: So who will be first will Officall prices/ Announcement

Comstock, Bolton, Brantford, Collingwood, Keswick, Orillia, Pefferlaw, Stratford, Alliston, Aurora, New Dundee, Orangeville, Woodstock

skyR

join:2007-01-14
Toronto, ON
reply to morisato

Still 1Mbps upload?

Acanac Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON

It would be the 2 and 3Mbps.

AGoldSilver

@distributel.net
reply to morisato

said by morisato:

Well Looking at Acanac as an example they saved almost 55% on the CBB rate and Instead of Reducing prices for higher tiers are Forcing speed upgrades on Low tiers to eat up the savings so they can Keep prices the same. I believe they are Upping 6 to 10 where possible, 12 to 15, and [bold]15 Mbps Gold users stay as they are until renewal when they will renew as the new silver.. is what i read it as. Seems Like the Higher end users got the shaft to me p:)[/bold]

I Myself would have Hoped for across the board price drops and Let Users Decide if they want to upgrade rather than have it forced upon them. Would be my personal preference

The current Gold Plan will be the new Silver Plan and Paul said there will be and extension at the end of the term.

In Quebec the Gold Plan = 16Mbps will be downgrade to the silver plan 15Mbps. How the extension period will be calculate still not clear? May be Paul can give an example...

quote:
Current gold plans will be converted to Silver and issued an extension based on what is left on the term. The extension has no monetary value.
»community.acanac.com/acanac/view···start=60

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
reply to morisato

Cable-ON Rogers 18Mbps Proposed Retail Rate $39.95: Rate limited to 8Mbps during peak hours.

It be cold day in Hell before I would pay to be limited during peak hours. If TSI pulls this I'll be gone so fast their head will spin.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to morisato

anyone know if Distributel has said if their prices will change? I may go with them if rogers does not give me a good deal.

PickTHEnick

@videotron.ca
reply to AGoldSilver

said by AGoldSilver :

The current Gold Plan will be the new Silver Plan and Paul said there will be and extension at the end of the term.

What about the suckers or those who can't afford more and are still stuck on the decrepit "upto" 6-meg legacy DSL (average 4-meg or so)? Since they can't upgrade those in speed, is there a price drop of 5$ or so?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to neuromancer1

said by neuromancer1:

Cable-ON Rogers 18Mbps Proposed Retail Rate $39.95: Rate limited to 8Mbps during peak hours.

It be cold day in Hell before I would pay to be limited during peak hours. If TSI pulls this I'll be gone so fast their head will spin.

We won't be doing any of that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Acanac Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to PickTHEnick

said by PickTHEnick :

said by AGoldSilver :

What about the suckers or those who can't afford more and are still stuck on the decrepit "upto" 6-meg legacy DSL (average 4-meg or so)? Since they can't upgrade those in speed, is there a price drop of 5$ or so?

The Bronze price will remain the same. As soon as the higher speeds become available they will also have the opportunity to upgrade free of charge.

Acanac Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to neuromancer1

said by neuromancer1:

Please keep in mind that it's the max rate limit. It may not happen at all or only for a short time during the peak period.

Acanac Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to AGoldSilver

said by AGoldSilver :

said by morisato:

Well Looking at Acanac as an example they saved almost 55% on the CBB rate and Instead of Reducing prices for higher tiers are Forcing speed upgrades on Low tiers to eat up the savings so they can Keep prices the same. I believe they are Upping 6 to 10 where possible, 12 to 15, and [bold]15 Mbps Gold users stay as they are until renewal when they will renew as the new silver.. is what i read it as. Seems Like the Higher end users got the shaft to me p:)[/bold]

I Myself would have Hoped for across the board price drops and Let Users Decide if they want to upgrade rather than have it forced upon them. Would be my personal preference

In Quebec the Gold Plan = 16Mbps will be downgrade to the silver plan 15Mbps. How the extension period will be calculate still not clear? May be Paul can give an example...

quote:
Current gold plans will be converted to Silver and issued an extension based on what is left on the term. The extension has no monetary value.
»community.acanac.com/acanac/view···start=60

If a client has 6 months left on the term and the price difference is for example worth $43 the client would get an extra month of free service added to the end of the term. If it's only worth $21 then only 15 days will be added.

PickTHEnick

@videotron.ca
reply to Acanac Inc

said by Acanac Inc:

said by PickTHEnick :

said by AGoldSilver :

The Bronze price will remain the same. As soon as the higher speeds become available they will also have the opportunity to upgrade free of charge.

But doesn't the "next upgrade" to this require the ~95$ tech visit and fee? After legacy it's FTTN or whatever. Is Acanac waiving the fee and absorbing it?

Also, who knows when better speeds will be available.

So these people who are punished with low speeds just due to where they live still get to pay that full inflated price?

I don't mean to direct this at you, Paul. I'm directing it at all DSL resellers.

Seems to me that those who are paying ~43$ for decrepit legacy DSL won't see a price change. And the so-called indie's will just continue making them pay inflated costs for this decrepit "up to" legacy service.

I hope at least one, so-called indie, will lower price for these people. Seems they are being left out in the cold.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by neuromancer1:

We won't be doing any of that.

Good to know, Marc, Thanks, it's a terrible idea and I'm glad TSI won't be doing this.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2

said by neuromancer1:

Good to know, Marc, Thanks, it's a terrible idea and I'm glad TSI won't be doing this.

I don't think I'd notice a speed decrease even if it were to happen (so far it hasn't) and I don't think it's worth an extra 38% to my bill even if I might for the few hours it could happen. It's not for everyone, but it's far from a terrible idea and exactly why it's good to have the little competition we do.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit
reply to Acanac Inc

said by Acanac Inc:

said by PickTHEnick :

In the forum announcement, you said that current Bronze users who cannot get FTTN will be taken off the prime-time limiting... "If your line does not qualify for FTTN Bronze no rate limit will be applied from March 1st on."

But, you didn't mention that above... Is that still true?

HOWEVER... since you say rate-limiting is rarely implemented, those existing 6M users are not really getting ANY value from your reduction in DSL costs.

And what about NEW 6M customers, if they happen to hang around your website and actually try to order? Would they pay the BRONZE price, get 6M, and get "no speed limiting" on their account? Again, that's of no real new value considering the wholesale cost reductions.

It's not like FTTN is going to magically become available everywhere; just look at the state of FTTN here in London!

PickTHEnick

@videotron.ca

said by jasmo34:

said by Acanac Inc:

said by PickTHEnick :

In the forum announcement, you said that current Bronze users who cannot get FTTN will be taken off the prime-time limiting... "If your line does not qualify for FTTN Bronze no rate limit will be applied from March 1st on."

But, you didn't mention that above... Is that still true?

HOWEVER... since you say rate-limiting is rarely implemented, those existing 6M users are not really getting ANY value from your reduction in DSL costs.

And what about NEW 6M customers, if they happen to hang around your website and actually try to order? Would they pay the BRONZE price, get 6M, and get "no speed limiting" on their account? Again, that's of no real new value considering the wholesale cost reductions.

It's not like FTTN is going to magically become available everywhere; just look at the state of FTTN here in London!

+
said by PickTHEnick :

But doesn't the "next upgrade" to this require the ~95$ tech visit and fee? After legacy it's FTTN or whatever. Is Acanac waiving the fee and absorbing it?

Also, who knows when better speeds will be available.

So these people who are punished with low speeds just due to where they live still get to pay that full inflated price?

I don't mean to direct this at you, Paul. I'm directing it at all DSL resellers.

Seems to me that those who are paying ~43$ for decrepit legacy DSL won't see a price change. And the so-called indie's will just continue making them pay inflated costs for this decrepit "up to" legacy service.

I hope at least one, so-called indie, will lower price for these people. Seems they are being left out in the cold.

Ahem.

But let us not just pick on Acanac.

There is also Teksavvy, Ebox, Start, and a multitude of others who are hiding at the moment.

LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to Acanac Inc

Acanac Cable Quebec yearly plan

You should consider offering 20Mbps between 10Mbps/40$ and 30Mbps/60$ like Velcom just did. I think it would be very popular.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to neuromancer1

said by neuromancer1:

It's something, but it's not terrible. Acanac's packages are 25% ($18~21) cheaper than TSI's Cable offerings, and there's only one usage offering: unlimited. Acanac is going for a more value oriented approach, and attracting a bigger slice of customers who don't need that speed 24/7 and are looking to save on their montly bill.

If it's not your cup of tea (like me, I will stay with TSI for 24/7 full speeds), so be it. But it doesn't give you the right to vilify Acanac. This is what competition is supposed to do, spawn creatively different products and services.

blah123

@aei.ca
reply to morisato

Velcom just updated their pricing.

»velcom.ca/prices.htm

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to PickTHEnick

Not picking on them; I would just like to know what they're doing for 6M Legacy users (including relatives of mine), if anything.

I don't actually object to their speed-limiting plans in prime-time. Not for everyone, but it's good to have choices.

I would GUESS their fee for 6M to FTTN (did theirs used to be $76?) is being waived, since they say those eligible customers will not have to do anything to get the upgrade.

Yes, we will just have to wait and see what the others have to offer. It certainly appears there were some deals from Bell involved, even before the CBB rate changes.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
reply to blah123

Velcom's prices look good.

Pick Nick

@videotron.ca
reply to blah123

said by blah123 :

Velcom just updated their pricing.

»velcom.ca/prices.htm

Seems to have dropped ~4$/month for the 400-gig package

I don't see mention of dry-loop fee's. Do they still waive the dry-loop fee?

They got rid of the 43$ unlimited package.

When you hit the "buy now" button, it still shows the old prices.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

It says dryloop included.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

said by Mike2009:

I think I just found a new ISP. Velcom's DSL offers are amazing. Great job!

Pick Nick

@videotron.ca
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

Ah ok, for the 7-meg+

Not the "up to" 6-meg

Pick Nick

@videotron.ca
reply to Pick Nick

Velcom 7-meg (400-gig) 9$ more in Qc
10-meg (400-gig) 8$ more in Qc but unlimited

All prices are more in Qc.

Did the guy just not update QC or is this his final prices? I see nothing great here for Quebecers.

Also, did the CRTC/Bell not do away with provincial price discrepancies?

XNemesis

join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON
reply to morisato

I just emailed Velcom to see if the 50/10 service will be available at the new address I'm moving to on May 1st. If that speed is good there then that should mean that Start/TSI will be able to offer it as well?

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

said by XNemesis:

If that speed is good there then that should mean that Start/TSI will be able to offer it as well?

Besides the obvious distance limit, 50/10 is available to all indie ISPs. Whether they offer it or not is just a policy decision.

Acanac Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to PickTHEnick

said by PickTHEnick :

+

Not picking on them; I would just like to know what they're doing for 6M Legacy users (including relatives of mine), if anything.

I don't actually object to their speed-limiting plans in prime-time. Not for everyone, but it's good to have choices.

I would GUESS their fee for 6M to FTTN (did theirs used to be $76?) is being waived, since they say those eligible customers will not have to do anything to get the upgrade.

Yes, we will just have to wait and see what the others have to offer. It certainly appears there were some deals from Bell involved, even before the CBB rate changes.

The rate limiting policies will no longer apply to new or existing 6Mbps profiles. (Or lower)

The installation fee is being waved for all 6Mbps to 11Mbps upgrades.

As for the value of the service our 11Mbps/6Mbps plans are already $8-$15 cheaper than some of our competitors 6Mbps unlimited plans. (Depending if they are new or old client.)

We are also one of the few companies that have standardized our DSL pricing across both Ontario and Quebec.

Our upcoming 25Mbps VDSL2 plans starts at $39.95 for the first year promo. I may be mistaken however I believe this the most attractive offering currently on the market.

bbwarrior

join:2005-12-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

said by Acanac Inc:

Our upcoming 25Mbps VDSL2 plans starts at $39.95 for the first year promo. I may be mistaken however I believe this the most attractive offering currently on the market.

Wow I just witnessed a tsunami in virtual terms, that price is setting a new reference in the industry and I'm loving it.

Bravo for keeping QC/ON pricing the same, I think you could have a new customer soon.