Search similar:

uniqs

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy to Canaca

to Canaca

Re: So who will be first will Officall prices/ Announcement

said by Canaca See Profile
Our upcoming 25Mbps VDSL2 plans starts at $39.95 for the first year promo. I may be mistaken however I believe this the most attractive offering currently on the market.

Is it a $99 modem and $50 installation? And the dry loop fee of $8, is that per month or a one time fee?

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

4 edits

BliZZardX to Canaca

Premium Member

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

Our upcoming 25Mbps VDSL2 plans starts at $39.95 for the first year promo. I may be mistaken however I believe this the most attractive offering currently on the market.

That sounds great at 1st glance but your $39.95 offer comes with strings attached - 12 month contract. It's still $53.95 regular, not much cheaper than Bell, the same price as Bell if you have dry loop (+$8), and they will probably even beat your price by adding a $5 no-contract loyalty credit. Not everybody needs unlimited, but most people care about price and not being tied up in a contract.
keenmay
join:2010-08-22

keenmay to morisato

to morisato
For people getting upgrade from 6mbps to 10mpbs, do they need new modem? (vdsl compatible)?
I have a modem since 2003, supposedly only support speed up to 8mbps. I don't think it's vdsl compatible either.
Expand your moderator at work
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

3 edits

LanAdmin to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX

Re: .

Acanac do not have any contract, you can cancel at any time. You will be refund less months used at monthly rate.

Example: for Quebec cable 30Mbps you pay 683.40$ for one year (56.95$ X 12)
If you cancel within the 3rd month your refund will be 495.55$
683.40$ - (62.95$ X 3 = 188.85$) = 495.55$

AcaContract
@distributel.net

AcaContract

Anon

said by LanAdmin:

Acanac do not have any contract, you can cancel at any time. You will be refund less months used at the monthly rate.

It kinda contract like cellphone contract if you cancel you have to pay the early cancellation fee. For Acanac, it is the reduce price term fee... I think it fair.

Sometime, contract works for you like Cable internet, they're planning to increase $3/month. If you sign up 12 months term now, you will be protected by the 12 months term contract and save $3/month for next 12 months compare to sign up monthly term now... So sign up 12 months now before they increase the price lol...
LanAdmin
Montreal, QC

1 edit

LanAdmin to keenmay

to keenmay
said by keenmay:

For people getting upgrade from 6mbps to 10mpbs, do they need new modem? (vdsl compatible)?
I have a modem since 2003, supposedly only support speed up to 8mbps. I don't think it's vdsl compatible either.

6Mbps: ADSL or ADSL2 or ADSL2+
11Mbps: ADSL2 or ADSL2+
15Mbps: ADSL2+
25Mbps: VDSL

ADSL up to 8Mbps
ADSL2 up to 12Mbps
ADSL2+ upto 24Mbps
keenmay

keenmay

Thank You. It's time to shop for new modem.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf to LanAdmin

to LanAdmin

said by LanAdmin:

Acanac Cable Quebec yearly plan

You should consider offering 20Mbps between 10Mbps/40$ and 30Mbps/60$ like Velcom just did. I think it would be very popular.

I definitely see something like 10/1.5mbps for 39.95$/month, 20/10mbps for 49.95$/month and 30/10mbps for 59.95$/month.
zacsaunders
join:2012-05-12

zacsaunders to Canaca

to Canaca
Is Acanac's offer for 25mbps valid for dry loop as well?
How much extra is dry loop?
do we need to rent a modem? - if yes how much extra a month? if no how much to purchase one.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

Acanac doesn't seem to show how much dry loop costs or if it's free. Also they don't say how much it would cost to purchase or rent the modem on their site from what I can see. But they do have unlimited bandwidth which is nice but during peak hours it's cut in half which isn't cool. Also the max speed they're offering as of now is 25mbps. Hopefully they will show this on their main page because It's not cool when companies try to hide important information in small font or on different pages.

Velcom waives the dry loop fee so you won't need to pay for that. The modem costs 130$ if you want to buy it straight up, or pay 8$ month(renting). They don't have an unlimited option but they have up to 400gb which is 46.95$/month. For 25MBPS/10MBPS. Velcom is also selling up to 50MBPS/10MBPS with 400gb bandwidth for 69.95$/month. Any usage occuring between the periods of 2am to 11am EST will NOT be calculated towards your bandwidth allowance. So in essence that time slot gives you unlimited usage! They do not throttle during peak hours.

To me the choice is clear, but others like to have unlimited internet throughout the day. I am not a heavy bandwidth user but I will go with the cheapest price for the fastest internet.

Waiting for Start, Ebox, TSI to roll out their DSL packages who ever looks the best will be getting me as costumer
DSL_Ricer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-22

DSL_Ricer to keenmay

Premium Member

to keenmay

said by keenmay:

Thank You. It's time to shop for new modem.

Don't bother. Speeds above 6mbit have a forced modem rental (though some ISPs are in negotiating to change that).
bridge
join:2008-08-11
Montreal, QC

bridge to mikee

to mikee

@mikee for the modem cost, you have to look at the end of the price list.

For dsl: Pricing and Speed Information.

Cost of DSL Modem is $49.95-Activation fee is $49.95 - You're free to use your own modem.

For cable: Cost of Cable Modem is $75.00 - Huawei MT130U V100R001C01B071 - Activation fee is $49.95 - You're free to use your own modem as long as it's in our list of Approved Cable Modems in Ontario

And at the end of the dsl page you have to click on more to see the dry loop fee:

Note: Naked DSL is only available In Ontario and Quebec. Normally a dry loop fee is $8 per month. Please check with sales for promotional rates.
Sync
join:2012-01-19
Terrebonne, QC

Sync to morisato

to morisato
Am I missing something with Velcom's new prices?

They offer 6Mbps DSL at 24.95/month.

Problem is with the new tarrifs, all the monthly access fees for Bell Ontario and Quebec without usage are 25$+.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/fra/archi ··· 3-73.htm

25$/access + user usage + access fees.... how can they make money ?

There must be something I'm not seeing somewhere... Someone have an explanation for this? What am I missing?

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
any word on distributel pricing? I may switch to them from rogers and don't want to switch then have unlimited dropped or the price to go nuts.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

1 edit

BliZZardX to Sync

Premium Member

to Sync
said by Sync:

There must be something I'm not seeing somewhere... Someone have an explanation for this? What am I missing?

Velcom has different prices for ON/QC. Only Ontario was aggressively priced so they make little/no profit. In all cases 6/800 does not include dryloop, so they have recurring revenue from that. 7/1 does include dryloop, but there is a $49.95 install fee (+$4.16/month), but after the first year, they are losing money on that specific package in Ontario. It looks subsidised by higher service levels for which there is more demand. The lowest package is meant for extremely frugal and low income people (like my grandma on a pension who checks email once a week, less than 5GB/month usage, only needs internet for VoIP to work). I am definitely looking at 7/1 for her, and 25/10 or 50/10 for myself.
DSL_Ricer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-22

DSL_Ricer to Sync

Premium Member

to Sync
said by Sync:

They offer 6Mbps DSL at 24.95/month.

Problem is with the new tarrifs, all the monthly access fees for Bell Ontario and Quebec without usage are 25$+.

I could be wrong, but I think those are FTTN prices. The CO based GAS network may still have the old pricing. (but yes, those margins are razor thin).
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
Marc from TSI just posted Cogeco & Telus rates:

Cogeco: »[Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

Telus: »[DSL] NEW RATES - Telus
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

nice of them to Be swift about 2 markets they have very little presence in compared to Bell/rogers lands p:) I look forward to those Numbers based on what i am seeing from velcom/acanac i am looking forward to sweet nothings P:)
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by morisato:

nice of them to Be swift about 2 markets they have very little presence in compared to Bell/rogers lands p:) I look forward to those Numbers based on what i am seeing from velcom/acanac i am looking forward to sweet nothings P:)

Those were probably done as they were the easiest: Less customers on them (cogeco's still in beta, so very few), so it's easier to come up with decent numbers.
keenmay

keenmay to DSL_Ricer

to DSL_Ricer

What! are you serious? Kind of defeat the purpose of free upgrade to 10mbps. Might as well stay 6mpbs and get the lower monthly rate.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

As far as i know only VDSL speed packages require a Modem and you can Now purchase a Sagemcom admitadly its like $130 dollars but thats certainly cheaper than monthly 10 dollars if u keep it for a year. for example. Wonder if we will see some Lease to own deals like pay 10 a month for 12 months and You own it. kinda thingie to make it more palateable For initial startup for some.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato

rocca has said that Start will be putting out their new rates this week.

»Re: CRTC Decision

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to morisato

to morisato
»[Cable] NEW RATES - Shaw

Cable packages for Western Canada, or at least a good chunk of it; upcoming areas are listed as well.
LanAdmin
Montreal, QC

LanAdmin to DSL_Ricer

to DSL_Ricer

said by DSL_Ricer:

Don't bother. Speeds above 6mbit have a forced modem rental (though some ISPs are in negotiating to change that).

You probably only need a new modem for VDSL 25Mbps and above.
Most old modems do ADSL2+. Check the spec of your modem.

6Mbps: ADSL or ADSL2 or ADSL2+
11Mbps: ADSL2 or ADSL2+
15Mbps: ADSL2+
25Mbps: VDSL

ADSL up to 8Mbps
ADSL2 up to 12Mbps
ADSL2+ upto 24Mbps

PickTHEnick
@videotron.ca

PickTHEnick to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc

Click for full size
Now Throttling
said by TSI Marc:

said by neuromancer1:

Cable-ON Rogers 18Mbps Proposed Retail Rate $39.95: Rate limited to 8Mbps during peak hours.

It be cold day in Hell before I would pay to be limited during peak hours. If TSI pulls this I'll be gone so fast their head will spin.

We won't be doing any of that.

Won't to Maybe.

Just saying...

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Still wont.. I explained that a bit better here;

»Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

TypeS