spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Aleksandar
join:2010-12-08

1 edit

Aleksandar

USG 100 L2TP browsing

Hi I configured L2TP that is ending on Zyxel USG 100. Tunnel is built successful, I can connect and talk via voip softphone, I have internet, I can use FTP to connect to server and take files (speed is really good), also I can ping via name and IP .
The thing I cannot is to use Windows explorer (win7) and copy paste same file I was able with FTP Filezilla.
I heard that this can be MTU, so I used
ping -f -l 1440 google.com from the computer in the network and only with 1440 I was able to receive the answer. So I configured MTU size on pppoe interface on zyxel with that value but it didn't help. I still can do everything but copy paste files !
To be more precise when I try to copy/paste , I receive either screen with calculating.. and nothing ever happens or it starts and the speed is 2KB/s and for 1.5 MB it lasts for 15 min and sometimes to go through or sometimes it snaps.
I am able to transfer really small files (several KB) but MB not a chance.
Please help this is urgant/annoying as hell.
Thanks

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Same problem here whether on 4G or LTE I had to lower my MSS to 600 from AUTO just to be able to browse folders and files but forget about opening anything. I have a decent 30 30 connection at home so not sure where the problem lies ??????
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

How about doing a packet trace on your server to see what happens there?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to Aleksandar

MVM

to Aleksandar
Are you on 3.00 AQQ.4 firmware? If not you should upgrade (see release notes why).
Do you have this enabled? »Re: L2TPoIPSEC problems ... if not check the box and try again.

It is strange that both you and Anav are experiencing this issue. I've just tested my L2TP connection from Android through USG to QNAP NAS and had no issue downloading anything.
The issue seems to be MTU or MSS related, but can be bug also.
Aleksandar

1 edit

Aleksandar

Hi , thanks for quick reply. Regarding firmware yes I have 3.00 AQQ4.
The strangest thing is, I figured yesterday, from different locations / ISPs I have the access and the speed is really good, but from some I don't have. And to be more strange that is the location from the same ISP. I talked to tech. support regarding MTU and I lowered value for pppoe to 1440, I was checking with ping -f-l 1440 google.com. Before that I was receiving Fragmentation needed but DF set. Only at 1440 I was able to ping.
Don't Fragment was not checked. So I did that but nothing happened. I will try to set MSS and let you know ....
What should I do next ?
Thanks

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Keep the Ignore DF set.

No idea what's wrong, I'm thinking at this point a packed capture is in order to see where the problem is.
Aleksandar

Aleksandar

Hi I just wanted to let you know changing MSS didn't give me any result. So I found smaller Zyxel USG 20 and I connected to the second ISP provider ( we have two connections), I will test it today and let you know.
I also wanted to connect via dial up and to see if I can do anything with the files at all....
I will post the results.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

apparently mss should be around 40 less than MTU or something like that.
Anav

Anav

Premium Member

Why does the L2TP pool have to be some odd grouping.
Why cannot be on the same LAN but in a non-interfering range like outside of Ip allocation by the dchp server???

I tried it but Lan resources could then not be found but coming from a foreign IP they could as the tunnel kinda dumps one into the lansubnet.
Aleksandar

Aleksandar to Anav

to Anav
Hi , here are the results of testing ( We have two ISP connections , I took one new USG 20 and connected to the second ISP) I could access into the network (via L2TP) and do copy paste if I went over USG 20, but I was not able to do the same over USG 100. Even though the same second isp connection was in usg 100 I was not able.
So my conclusion is that it is not about MTU or MSS but some bug. Configurations are completely the same !!
I will today call zyxel and tell them.
What do you think ?

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Aleksandar

Premium Member

to Aleksandar
Good plan if apples to apples.....
There may be some default config diff somewhere^^^

I cannot seem to forward a port successfully anymore LOL.
Virtual server rule and fw rule for one port, to same IP and the firewall USG100 keeps dropping it as Wan to ZyWALL rule but its a Wan to LAN1 rule....... arggggg
Aleksandar

Aleksandar

Hi so I called technical support and there was the difference in firmware version. I had 3.00 (AQQ4) ITS-WK36-r34864 and then they said that I shouldn't download that version but pure AQQ4 version ! And to be more funny I didn't downloaded that because I was bored but because they previously told me to do that ! Anyway I downloaded newest firmware, upgraded mine, and tested from one location with the same configuration - it is working ...... so I will test it tonight from several more locations and post the results tomorrow.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Where did you get the wrong version?
Aleksandar

Aleksandar

Well I called zyxel techical support, they said that the problem I have had was because of the firmware and with a new firmware it is solved. And then they said that there is a newest firmware on ftp site , newest that was published on website at that time, but it is still not on the website and they will publish it soon, so I logged in to their ftp and took the firmware I installed it .... you know the rest of the story