how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GeorgeBurger

join:2011-12-30
kudos:2

VMedia fights mandatory channel carriage

Hi, As some of you may know the CRTC is engaged in the process of considering applications for extremely valuable licences which come with the privilege of being required to be carried on basic tv packages. In other words everyone who gets TV service would have to pay for these channels.This is probably a yawn for many of you who have moved well beyond conventional TV, but this is an important issue for many reasons. VMedia as a BDU and as a strong supporter of consumer choice has taken measures to oppose the grant of any such licences to anyone who wants to be carried in every home, where Canadians are obliged to pay. We have an executive summary of our argument which we are trying to attach to this message, not sure we are getting it done, but it, together with the entire intervention, will be posted on our website, www.vmedia.ca, shortly. Unfortunately it is past the deadline for interventions, but if you agree with our views, please express them to the CRTC or to your member of parliament. Stay tuned, and best regards, George.

The SUN

@videotron.ca
Is this in regards to the new Bell Astral application that was submitted and not viewable to the public yet?

Or is this in regards to the must carry thing being pimped by SUN (Quebecor Media) and where both sides are spamming the CRTC with as many people and filings as possible that I saw the other day.

Quebecor/SUN has gotten shills/people to actually say, "Yes we need must carry and we all want to pay for it" type thing. And Quebecor/SUN sent out a propaganda Email the other day saying Americans are trying to influence the outcome and everyone must fill in their must carry spam form for the CRTC, and then asked people to create a chain-mail with their propaganda letter.

You guys should make a webmail form thingy for people to sign against this. Pimp your URL here and hope many sign it and send it off to the CRTC. This is the easiest thing I can think of. Or ask Open-media to set it up since they are already set to go on this type of action with webmail already in place.

I'm getting confused with it all.

But I sure as hell don't want to pay more for garbage stations I won't ever watch. Nor have any interest in.

GeorgeBurger

reply to GeorgeBurger
This is definitely one and the same process, involving SUN. There are about 16 channels applying for these licences, which are issued at the discretion of the CRTC and only if the concept is of "exceptional importance' to the objectives of the Broadcasting Act. It is pretty subjective, and the CRTC has no obligation to award any licences. We are hopeful that they certainly won't award one to anyone who actually expects Canadians to pay for their service, whether Canadians choose them or not.Thanks for your suggestions we will follow up.

Shovel Time

@videotron.ca
Email from Sun/Quebecor to Greg O'brien (the guy that runs cartt.ca):
»twitter.com/gregobr/status/30649···/photo/1 Saying how nasty ultra right wing Americans are trying to take over the CRTC process and how you need to create a chain letter to spam your friends to prevent it

Of course this appears to be from Suns Ezra Levant who is trying to save his job after Quebecor said SUN would be pulled if they don't get it.

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
said by Shovel Time :

Email from Sun/Quebecor to Greg O'brien (the guy that runs cartt.ca):
»twitter.com/gregobr/status/30649···/photo/1 Saying how nasty ultra right wing Americans are trying to take over the CRTC process and how you need to create a chain letter to spam your friends to prevent it

Of course this appears to be from Suns Ezra Levant who is trying to save his job after Quebecor said SUN would be pulled if they don't get it.

The Levant quote, from the link, actually mentions "far left-wing activists from the United States".

The Sun's Ezra Levant complaining about "nasty ultra right wing Americans" might be less likely.
Expand your moderator at work

GeorgeBurger

reply to GeorgeBurger

Re: VMedia fights mandatory channel carriage

This is a pretty witty primer on why VMedia is opposed-strenuously-to mandatory carriage whether it is Stornoway, Starlight, ZoomerMedia or whatever.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···9133378/

MHunt

join:2013-03-05
Thornhill, ON
Thanks for the heads up George just what we need, more channels not to watch that we pay for. Meanwhile, what's up with VMedia? What's taking so long?

Bell LUVS u

@videotron.ca
said by MHunt:

Meanwhile, what's up with VMedia? What's taking so long?

From what I understood from the last posting here about Vmedia, Bell was dicking them around. Bell wouldn't give them prices for some channels. Bell didn't want to look at their requests for pricing, Bell just plain ignored them. They couldn't get a channel out of Bell.

They had to beg the CRTC to get Bell to even give them pricing on channels. I don't know what came of it after that.

All this was explained at the last Bell-Astral CRTC hearing. Vmedia & George Burger gave quite the performance at this hearing. Was actually very good and went into lots of details. Too bad CPAC seems to have taken it down off their site. Very much worth watching.

GeorgeBurger

reply to MHunt
said by MHunt:

Thanks for the heads up George just what we need, more channels not to watch that we pay for. Meanwhile, what's up with VMedia? What's taking so long?

Hi MHunt,

Believe me we are working as fast as we can, we are really looking forward to bringing our VMedia service to market. There is nothing like our VBox out there, but we are constantly looking over our shoulder as we tweak and improve and keep gathering channels.

The fact is our service will continue to be a work in progress because our team has a long list of content and capability innovations that we want to integrate into the VMedia experience.

At this point we have our critical mass of channels, and a long list of android apps ready to go, so we have scheduled our social media launch-i.e.marketing to the most discriminating consumers, people like yourself-for March 27. As soon as our new website is ready to go, and able to take orders, we will be lit.So stay tuned.

Have a great weekend, George.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Hrmm Hope website is outdated for vmedia No AMC No Space.. No me!
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

GeorgeBurger

said by morisato:

Hrmm Hope website is outdated for vmedia No AMC No Space.. No me!

You will not be disappointed, Morisato.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to GeorgeBurger
But how can we use vmedia if our ISP doesn't make a deal? Isn't the CRTC's closed network requirements a problem?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

GeorgeBurger

You are absolutely right, though it is not a CRTC issue, more a contractual one, but in any case, get your ISP to make a deal with us, or switch to us in April. Pity because we have a great app solution, all in good time I am sure.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger
You will also be acting as an ISP in April?

GeorgeBurger

Hi Yes that's right. Actually VMedia's affiliate Vianettv is already an ISP but we will be revamping the service, and streamlining it to provide internet service that suits the content delivery platform the best, both in terms of capacity and cost.

Spare

join:2004-04-14
min2p6
By looking a vianettv web site, only cable in red zone no blue zone. So unless you team up with sombody in blue zone me no no go Lucy !

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
Huh? They do seem to have coverage in the blue zone (DSL from Bell).
--

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Spare
said by Spare:

By looking a vianettv web site, only cable in red zone no blue zone. So unless you team up with sombody in blue zone me no no go Lucy !

Vianet does FTTH and dsl, »fibre.vianet.ca/about/

I've seen the name around in the past. Don't recall much about them though. They are Ontario only.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
said by hm :

said by Spare:

I've seen the name around in the past. Don't recall much about them though. They are Ontario only.

Vianet.CA and VianetTV are different companies that are unrelated.

This gets confusing, as Vianet.CA is a licensed BDU and offers TV service.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

hm

@videotron.ca
said by HeadSpinning:

said by hm :

said by Spare:

This gets confusing, as Vianet.CA is a licensed BDU and offers TV service.

Is it? I didn't notice this when I checked fast earlier. George said VMedia's was an affiliate of Vianettv. I know there is a vianet (ISP) so when I looked up their vianet's TV I got »vianet.tv/

So there's is a vianettv affiliated with Vmedia, and a vianet.tv owned by Vianet.ca (both Ontario).

How about that.

One for the lawyers

lol I thought they were one in the same.

Seems too much like a coincidence to me. You sure Vianet.ca (or vianet.TV) isn't sub'ing this out to Vmedia who in turn is calling it VianetTV?

Maybe George will answer this one. Pretty funny coincidence.

GeorgeBurger

Hi everybody, you are right about the similarity, to put it mildly, but it is sheer coincidence, and possible a slipup by regulators who approve corporate names, I don't know, it was before my time. Certainly they are in different markets both geographically and for the most part demographically, but the confusion is becoming irrelevant as we focus all our Canadian activities around the VMedia brand.

hm

@videotron.ca
TY for clarifying the confusion on my part, George.

old sparks

join:2011-02-17
Greely, ON
reply to GeorgeBurger
If these groups want mandatory channel carriage, perhaps the CRTC should require them to provide an over-the-air signal before making the BDUs carry them. At least that way, they would have to have some 'skin' in the game.

I watched Sun TV a few times when they did have an OTA signal in Ottawa. That Ezra Levant is a real douche...

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to HeadSpinning

vianet.ca's vianet.tv

Vmedia's vianet.com

said by HeadSpinning:

I'm still finding this hard to believe. I mean, it's possible... But...

Check the logo's even

Vianet.CA'a vianet.TV & Vmedia's VianetTV.com

They are practically the same.

I think Vmedia subs out Vianet.ca

hm

@videotron.ca
Note to George on the logo post above.

I wrote that at like around 8:00-am, before you posted. It only got approved to show now. Safe to ignore it.

But the similarities are indeed funky!

No clue when this post will show, so in case you waste your time replying before this shows, sorry about that

Spare

join:2004-04-14
min2p6
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Huh? They do seem to have coverage in the blue zone (DSL from Bell).

Yes but blue cable would mean cogeco not blue dsl. And there's no freaking way I'm going back to a screaming sub 1 meg dsl connection

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to hm
said by hm :

said by HeadSpinning:

I'm still finding this hard to believe. I mean, it's possible... But...

Check the logo's even

Vianet.CA'a vianet.TV & Vmedia's VianetTV.com

They are practically the same.

I think Vmedia subs out Vianet.ca

No. They are not. I know the guys at Vianet.CA, and although they do TV they are not related to the other Vianet. I've had this conversation with them.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger
Errm, vianet.com is some business provider in France, so when people say "vmedia's vianet.com" I think they're talking about the wrong thing.
--

Shrug

@videotron.ca
said by Guspaz:

Errm, vianet.com is some business provider in France, so when people say "vmedia's vianet.com" I think they're talking about the wrong thing.

Ah, the picture caption. Typo. Rest is correct. Figured people would realize the typo between vianet.com and vianettv.com since vianettv.com is mentioned everywhere else... Guess not.