share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to HeadSpinning

Re: VMedia fights mandatory channel carriage

said by HeadSpinning:

said by hm :

said by Spare:

By looking a vianettv web site, only cable in red zone no blue zone. So unless you team up with sombody in blue zone me no no go Lucy !

Vianet does FTTH and dsl, »fibre.vianet.ca/about/

I've seen the name around in the past. Don't recall much about them though. They are Ontario only.

Vianet.CA and VianetTV are different companies that are unrelated.

This gets confusing, as Vianet.CA is a licensed BDU and offers TV service.

Is it? I didn't notice this when I checked fast earlier. George said VMedia's was an affiliate of Vianettv. I know there is a vianet (ISP) so when I looked up their vianet's TV I got »vianet.tv/

So there's is a vianettv affiliated with Vmedia, and a vianet.tv owned by Vianet.ca (both Ontario).

How about that.

One for the lawyers

lol I thought they were one in the same.

Seems too much like a coincidence to me. You sure Vianet.ca (or vianet.TV) isn't sub'ing this out to Vmedia who in turn is calling it VianetTV?

Maybe George will answer this one. Pretty funny coincidence.

GeorgeBurger

join:2011-12-30
kudos:2

Hi everybody, you are right about the similarity, to put it mildly, but it is sheer coincidence, and possible a slipup by regulators who approve corporate names, I don't know, it was before my time. Certainly they are in different markets both geographically and for the most part demographically, but the confusion is becoming irrelevant as we focus all our Canadian activities around the VMedia brand.

hm

@videotron.ca

TY for clarifying the confusion on my part, George.

old sparks

join:2011-02-17
Greely, ON
reply to GeorgeBurger

If these groups want mandatory channel carriage, perhaps the CRTC should require them to provide an over-the-air signal before making the BDUs carry them. At least that way, they would have to have some 'skin' in the game.

I watched Sun TV a few times when they did have an OTA signal in Ottawa. That Ezra Levant is a real douche...

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to HeadSpinning

vianet.ca's vianet.tv

Vmedia's vianet.com

said by HeadSpinning:

I'm still finding this hard to believe. I mean, it's possible... But...

Check the logo's even

Vianet.CA'a vianet.TV & Vmedia's VianetTV.com

They are practically the same.

I think Vmedia subs out Vianet.ca

hm

@videotron.ca

Note to George on the logo post above.

I wrote that at like around 8:00-am, before you posted. It only got approved to show now. Safe to ignore it.

But the similarities are indeed funky!

No clue when this post will show, so in case you waste your time replying before this shows, sorry about that

Spare

join:2004-04-14
min2p6
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Huh? They do seem to have coverage in the blue zone (DSL from Bell).

Yes but blue cable would mean cogeco not blue dsl. And there's no freaking way I'm going back to a screaming sub 1 meg dsl connection

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to hm

said by hm :

said by HeadSpinning:

I'm still finding this hard to believe. I mean, it's possible... But...

Check the logo's even

Vianet.CA'a vianet.TV & Vmedia's VianetTV.com

They are practically the same.

I think Vmedia subs out Vianet.ca

No. They are not. I know the guys at Vianet.CA, and although they do TV they are not related to the other Vianet. I've had this conversation with them.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to GeorgeBurger

Errm, vianet.com is some business provider in France, so when people say "vmedia's vianet.com" I think they're talking about the wrong thing.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Shrug

@videotron.ca

said by Guspaz:

Errm, vianet.com is some business provider in France, so when people say "vmedia's vianet.com" I think they're talking about the wrong thing.

Ah, the picture caption. Typo. Rest is correct. Figured people would realize the typo between vianet.com and vianettv.com since vianettv.com is mentioned everywhere else... Guess not.

GeorgeBurger

reply to old sparks

said by old sparks:

If these groups want mandatory channel carriage, perhaps the CRTC should require them to provide an over-the-air signal before making the BDUs carry them. At least that way, they would have to have some 'skin' in the game.

I watched Sun TV a few times when they did have an OTA signal in Ottawa. That Ezra Levant is a real douche...

It is pretty hard to get spectrum for an OTA signal these days but you are totally on the right track. The fact is mandatory carriage is potentially very valuable if you have a service people want to watch because you are jammed into every cable, satellite and IPTV home, so you get instant penetration of over 10 millions homes. It takes a lot of gall to actually ask to be paid for being granted that privilege.

GeorgeBurger

reply to old sparks

said by old sparks:

Hi, I just wanted to give credit where it is due I was thinking of your comment when I did the interview with MacLean's linked below. I hope people will have a look, it is I think a clear brief discussion about what is wrong with these mandatory carriage proceedings.

»www2.macleans.ca/2013/03/14/not-···channel/

hm

@videotron.ca

A few years ago Videotron was arguing with the CRTC about how much money the CRTC gets from them for Canadian Content. It was in the tens or hundreds of millions (I forget).

All these millions (not only from Videotron, but all the major players) are to help produce and promote Canadian content, apparently.

George (or anyone else), do you happen to know what the figures are that go to Canadian Content (or to the CRTC from the big players to pay Canadian Content) yearly? I was under the impression that there is a fund that they all have to give into yearly. Is this correct? Videotron raised quite the stink about it.

Another question, that 775-million dollars... Is that only to Starlight? ~111-million a year for 7 years?

I can't think of any Canadian Content I would watch regularly. Can anyone here think of any?

I can only think of one or two movies that were a decent watch ("Bon Cop, Bad Cop" likely being the best, and best known). How many times do they expect someone to watch that?

What else is there? Re-runs of Trailer park boys and Corner gas which is already on other channels that are not mandatory.

hm

@videotron.ca

said by hm :

A few years ago Videotron was arguing with the CRTC about how much money the CRTC gets from them for Canadian Content. It was in the tens or hundreds of millions (I forget).

All these millions (not only from Videotron, but all the major players) are to help produce and promote Canadian content, apparently.

George (or anyone else), do you happen to know what the figures are that go to Canadian Content (or to the CRTC from the big players to pay Canadian Content) yearly? I was under the impression that there is a fund that they all have to give into yearly. Is this correct? Videotron raised quite the stink about it.

The above fund was called the Canadian Television fund. Now called the Canadian Media fund. This was/is supposed to already support Canadian production & TV (and now "new media" as well). »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_T···ion_Fund

So seems to me they already get tens of millions of dollars.... I wonder how much they got and will continue to get from this fund, on top of this 775-million dollars from mandatory carriage.

Or am I confused here?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to GeorgeBurger

The point about "me' paying for Starlight to make movies and then they still own the rights to them, is a good one.
They can license those movies out to other broadcasters for cheap "canadian content" filler.

MHunt

join:2013-03-05
Thornhill, ON

2 edits
reply to HeadSpinning

MHunt

join:2013-03-05
Thornhill, ON
reply to GeorgeBurger

Just saw your response. Thanks.Please keep me posted.

GeorgeBurger

said by MHunt:

Just saw your response. Thanks.Please keep me posted.

Hi MHunt, sorry again for the delay, this launch process is both exciting and exhausting. We look good to go for March 27, and expect to be providing some advance detail about what we are offering before then, but the new website will offically go live at 12:01am March 27. We will be launching with our Basic Package, as well as several other theme packs. We are getting down to the wire in finalizing details on some channels, technicalities at this point(making transport arrangements), but if a theme pack is missing a channel or two we will likely hold off on the launch of that package until it is complete. An alternative we are considering is offering those incomplete packages for a discount, adjusted to the regular price when they are complete. Either way pretty much all our pakcages will be up and running by mid-April, together with nearly 40 UChoose pick a pack channles, and nearly 60 standalones. With a Basic at a great price, we let you customize as much as our channel suppliers will allow and keep your TV costs down.Stay tuned.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger

Is there any word yet about what ISPs the service will be available on (IE, who you are peering with)?
--

GeorgeBurger

We will be providing a list of ISPs who are currently offering our service to their customer on our new site next week.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

I do hope you have more ISP's in the pipe that are not listed on your current vmedia website. A few have horrible reviews listed on them, and some are not available unless you live in a specific building serviced by them. Many of them don't even have the speeds I am looking for.

Basically, if you want to get people, I hope you are peering up with Start, Tek, Ebox etc.

I am looking to ditch Rogers, but I have to find a provider who won't destroy picture quality, will offer 5.1 sound, HBO, TMN etc. However, I won't just switch to any old ISP with an unproven track record. I also won't invest in gear for 3 or 4 TV's, if I cannot count on the ISP being able to deliver the downstream needed to accommodate 3 TV's at once, plus leave additional BW for voip and net traffic.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

I guess I should add, I am concerned who will ensure some form of QOS for the delivery of the tv content. Last thing I want is stuttering issues because the backend is congested and slowing down.

GeorgeBurger

reply to Viper359

Hi Viper these are all legitimate concerns. Our primary focus with our launch is to provide our own internet service together with the IPTV service(though we will be offering internet alone at competitve rates and on competitive terms as well if that is what the customer wants). Also we are keeping the capacity demand below with our first priority being to deliver HD, so our sound is stereo although we are working on providing top end sound.As with the launch of any new innovative product, the initial target market are early adopters who are keen to change existing arrangements and are willing to try something new. As with anything new, there are alot of people who want to wait and see. So stay tuned, and when you get comfortable with our value proposition we'll be happy to respond.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

George, how are you offering AMC HD, when even Rogers doesn't have it? I thought Bell got exclusivity on it for "fibe"

GeorgeBurger

Hi Elwood, we have not finalized a deal with AMC so I can't comment, but Rogers is now for sure getting AMC HD(not that I want to plug Rogers).

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger

The thing is people don't want to have to change ISP to get IPTV. I don't, anyhow. There is an advantage to offering IPTV through a peering arrangement with another ISP; you (the IPTV provider) pay basically nothing for bandwidth (because it goes through peering), the incumbent CBB costs are all covered by the ISP rather than the IPTV provider.
--

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
kudos:4
reply to GeorgeBurger

Just noticed this thread today...

- It's an Ontario-only service. Yawn.

- As the topic says, you want to "fight mandatory channel carriage", but when you click on the "TV" link on vmedia's website, you notice that the basic package contains optional specialties. MuchMusic, MuchMore, YTV, E!, CP24, VisionTV, CTV News, TSN1 & TSN2 are NOT mandatory. What *IS* mandatory is whatever you can receive over-the-air + CBC News/RDI + Weather Network + CPAC + AMI + Legislature + TVA + TVO/TFO (for Ontario). All those Bhell specialties have nothing to do there.

- You offer packages. You do not offer "à la carte", but you state on your homepage "our mission is to help you watch what you want, where you want to watch it". Hmmm. Just give what customers want then : pick the channel you want to watch. Otherwise, you're no different than Bell TV Ontario and Rogers Cable.

- Don't list channels you don't carry. Videotron, the major cable provider in Quebec province, just added AMC last month and explained that they negociated for the last 3 years and it was difficult because they're a regional provider. Unless this is a big lie, I don't see how a small unknown IPTV provider would sign a deal with AMC, unless you're reselling a service from a big provider.

- Just like Bhell uses Let's Talk campaign for free promotion, and Teksavvy was the center of the attention for UBB, is Vmedia using their strong opposition to mandatory channel carriage to make self-publicity ?
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

GeorgeBurger

Hi En Enfer,

Let me try to respond to your points.

1. We are Ontario-only for now, but we are looking to expand to the rest of Canada as soon as we can. Right now we are pretty swamped with getting the product up and running and launching, and we have a very lean team. But we'll get to Quebec soon.

2. Not sure there is a contradiction. We make decisions on what we put into Basic beyond the mandatory channels based on a variety of considerations, including how to provide our customers with the best value packages. But at least the decision regarding which specialties we include is our choice, based on what we think our customers will be interested in paying for. The mandatory channels give no one any choice, and is still a development well worth resisting. The bottom line is our Basic will be the best value in the market.

3. Again no contradiction. Being obviously very knowledgeable in this arena, you would know that rules that channel suppliers attach to their services have to be followed. Our point is that having regard to the rules, we try to maximize our customer's flexibility as much as we can. In any event as you can see from reading our posts and our existing website, we will be offering a la carte, over 40 channels that you can package yourself, and about 60 that you can choose standalone.

4. You sound pretty hostile in this one, and I am inclined not to dignify it with a response.

5. Again, pretty testy. Do you have an issue with our opposition to the mandatory carriage proceedings?I suggest you read our intervention at »www.vmedia.ca/publish/news/, our arguments speak for themselves.

Have a nice weekend.

GeorgeBurger

reply to GeorgeBurger

Just curious, does anyone know what it means that En Enfer's account has been compromised?

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by GeorgeBurger:

Just curious, does anyone know what it means that En Enfer's account has been compromised?

It's just a little note that En Enfer put there. For amusement. I'm sure the account isn't really "compromised".