Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms

3 recommendations

reply to fartness

Re: If I move to the country?

If you move to the country:
Please leave your city shit behind. Its different out here. Those of us who are here and have become accustom to the "issues" of living in the country have done so because we loath the city life and all that it holds. When a city slicker moves in and try to modify the quiet way of life we have come to love, most don't last to long. If you do move get ready to witness things like gun racks in trucks actually carrying guns that are not going to kill anyone just because they are guns and are being carried openly. Get ready to be involved in a 5 car traffic jam when Jim Bob needs to move his harvester down to the north west field. Blowing your horn will do nothing, as he really doesn't give a shit, and will more than likely slow to a pace so slow you will swear hes stopped. When you stop for a dozen eggs at Millie's place because you saw the sign for fresh eggs 4 sale, don't point out that there is chicken poop on the funny colored egg, if you do it will be the last time you ever buy an egg from her. She is getting to old to explain to every city slicker that stops in that this is not the Giant Eagle, or food mart. You will hear gun shots most days, don't call the police, its OK really. Loud exhausts from 4X4s replace the loud stereos, but who doesn't love the sound of a finely tuned big block!

If you move to the country do so because you want to change.

If you drive a EV you might want to trade it in before moving, they are used for target practice out here. Even our RCs are nitro powered.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

2 edits

said by H_T_R_N:

Get ready to be involved in a 5 car traffic jam when Jim Bob needs to move his harvester down to the north west field.

I take it you drive on Valencia Road a lot.

To the OP:

I grew up in the city, moved to the suburbs when I got married, and now live out in the country as I approach retirement. It's nice out here. I've lived out here for a little over 3 years now, and here are the things that are the biggest adjustments for me:

The longer commute to work. I used to drive 17 miles one way, now I drive 44. But it only takes me about 15-20 minutes longer.

If you get a place with oil heat, remember to check your oil levels regularly. Nothing is more frustrating than running out of oil in the middle of the evening. You will only do it once; trust me, I know.

If you have a pond, expect people to stop and ask if they can fish.

If you have a pond, and your properly boarders a fairly busy road, expect a car to end up in it. Trust me, I know. Now one might expect this to happen during bad weather in the winter, but it can also happen on a hot, sunny, August afternoon, Again, trust me, I know.

There tends to be a bit more maintenance associated with the extra land that you will likely have. But that's OK - the extra work is good for the soul.

Your walk behind mower won't be sufficient. Expect to purchase a decent tractor. Then you too can annoy passers-thru like Jim Bob.

Well water isn't that bad, but the cost of treatment chemicals can offset the savings of having to pay for muni-water.

A septic tank isn't that bad either.

Your neighbors are more than willing to help, even if you are brand new to the neighborhood. Be sure to return the favor with whatever skills you can offer.

Burn piles are a thing of beauty.

Taxes are cheaper. I have 30 times the land and three times the house that I had in Allegheny county, but my taxes out here in Butler county are slightly less.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by rockotman:

said by H_T_R_N:

Get ready to be involved in a 5 car traffic jam when Jim Bob needs to move his harvester down to the north west field.

I take it you drive on Valencia Road a lot.

And Glade Mill Rd.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

Ah - you are on the other side of Rt. 8, where the roads are a lot wider.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to rockotman

said by rockotman:

That one struck a cord. Every time I think I've burned the last brush pile I find I've made another one. Now I only burn brush in the winter, as having one get away is a humbling experience: trust me, I know.

said by rockotman:

Your walk behind mower won't be sufficient.

Disagree a little about that, it really depends on how much land you intend to manicure and how valuable your time is. We maintain about an acre of lawn that I cut with a walk behind mower. The rest is un-managed woodlot. Takes about half a day if i have to cut everything. I enjoy doing it and and it forces me to exercise more then I would if we had a tractor.

Not having a tractor is a problem hauling cord wood, but our neighbor has one and as you mentioned is very willing to help.

/tom

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rockotman

said by rockotman:

Yes they are but I do that in the city here. The only difference is I have to go onto the fire departments website and get a FREE open burn permit first.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968