Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

Newegg Botches Up AMD Radeon HD 7900 Returns Big Time

quote:

AMD may be singing Klingon songs about how glorious its "Never Settle Reloaded" campaign is, and how it could help the company sail through the better part of the year without any significant product stack changes; but there's a dark side to it - retailers who haven't the slightest clue about how to handle returns.

Take Newegg.com for example. An Overclock.net community member bearing handle "SkateZilla" filed an RMA for his broken Radeon HD 7900 series product which he purchased for $409. The card happened to include a "Never Settle" bundle. Instead of merely returning the faulty graphics card with one that works, Newegg.com initiated a money-back (refund). Instead of refunding his $409, Newegg.com deducted $169 from the amount towards "Promo Codes." How does that work?
Let's go over that again:

•"SkateZilla" didn't apply for a refund to begin with. He merely wanted his broken card replaced.

•The Never Settle bundle is marketed as a promotional item (that which is free and carries no market value).

•Newegg.com sticks a $169 price tag to a promotional item, cuts the amount from the refund, and hands back $240 to the buyer, instead of replacing the broken card.

•The buyer had no option to buy the card without the promotion, and/or he was lured to buy an AMD Radeon by that promotion.

»www.techpowerup.com/180750/Neweg···ime.html

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

That's pretty stupid, and I hope Newegg takes some heat for this until they fix such a retarded policy.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3

+1 for amazon.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Makes you wish for the days when you RMAed your BFG Video Card and you always got a newer, more powerful model back. Man, those were great days! Well, until they went bankrupt...
--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean

I don't even know were to start with this,......

Honestly, if Newegg wants to value the game bundle at ~$169 IMO they can keep the games or accept an RMA on the game keys and effectively sell the HD 7970 for ~$240,....they would never go for that though,....

If the games are actually bundled outside of the retail package of the HD 7900 series cards then there should be no issue with an RMA replacement of just the video card itself via Newegg (during the return period). If the game key coupon bundle is added inside the video card retail package (which I doubt) and the keys are used (or barcode proof of purchase is removed for rebate) then the customer should be directed to RMA the defective video card with the manufacturer,......simple.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Octavean

Yes, this is stupid, but I would think a phone call to someone in a supervisor position at Newegg would clear this one up pretty quickly. It's obviously not right what they've done.

I'm just not so quick to go smearing Newegg on this one until they've had an opportunity to correct their error.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Of that I have little doubt,....

I expect that Newegg will correct this to the satisfaction of the customer in question and even offer something gratis such as mayhaps a free widget,....

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Octavean

Hate to say it. But sometimes Best Buy has equal cards for the same money and they have a better return policy. Hate em or not. You just walk the eff in and return it. The end.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to Octavean

Matter of fact the last 3 cards I bought were from Best Buy and the prices were the same as NewEgg, Tiger and Amazon ones.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

BB usually overcharges for substandard cards, but occasionally carries a decent brand. I worked with Ginjer to have them beat, by $10, the Newegg price (which included MIRs and instant discounts).

But their average Sparkle/PNY cards? I wouldn't touch those spaceheaters.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Octavean

Well in my case, Newegg is out of state and I don't pay taxes on most if not all purchases. That's a major plus IMO, often not available to me via Amazon for example. However, I do have Amazon Prime so that can help,...

Anyway, my last video card purchase was a PNY GTX 670 from Newegg for ~$279.99 A/R with no tax and no S&H fee. I thought that was a great deal and it came with free Boarderlands 2 and Assassins Creed III coupon codes. I installed the card and worked it fairly hard for days before even looking at the coupon codes or even thinking about applying for the rebate. I think that's prudent and key,... I would have had no problem packing it ALL up and shipping it ALL back (unused coupon codes and all) at the slightest sign of a problem.

Also I received a free FarCry 3 coupon code from my 500GB Samsung 840 SSD purchase some time ago from newegg at ~$330. Naturally I installed and used the SSD extensively before considering using the free game,...

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Octavean

Newegg pulled that shit with we a few years ago.
--
Professional student pilot!

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to Krisnatharok

Haven't had any bad luck with PNY anything in the past. I have a 7600 GS agp bus that still works and a PNY GTS 250. Sparkle I've never owned or seen in a retail store.

Expand your moderator at work