spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Fangz
join:2000-10-11
Magna, UT

Fangz

How to prove your guilty...

It will be hard to prove your guilty when the courts have stated that you can't link and IP to an individual.

For those individuals that do not have their wireless locked down, this will be a call to get it done.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

This isn't about proving your guilt. Rather it seems about you attempting to prove your innocence, or at least jumping through hoops to get your connection back.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Fangz

Premium Member

to Fangz
They can't link an IP to a individual, but they can link the download to an IP, and the IP to a individual modem/account, so the IP you happened to use, happened to download illegally, it can be blocked.
If you want to be unblocked YOU (account owner) must call in, listen to TOS and agree to corrective action.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2

And this is AFTER 6 strikes. At least that is my understanding. So if the information is erroneous, you will not be blocked unless the same error happens six times. I know I would call in on the first or second notice if I hadn't downloaded anything illegally, but I imagine there are others who might wait until they get the browser hijack.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

And this warns the account holder, if it is a result of his kids downloading, or open Wi-Fi, some other extremely rare error, something unlikely to happen 6 times to any one account.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

This isn't about proving your guilt. Rather it seems about you attempting to prove your innocence, or at least jumping through hoops to get your connection back.

Sorry which ISPs disconnect you? Oh that's right ZERO. And sorry exactly ZERO people will also get 6 strikes by mistake

88615298 (banned) to PaulHikeS2

to PaulHikeS2
And if it's not you then you potentially have a problem with someone jacking your connection which you never would have known about with this new rule.

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium Member
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL

FreedomBuild to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
That is assuming you make it through the multiple prompts-confirmations-account verification, various marketing promotions, spiel from Rick G. blabbing about 'customer care', more marketing hype and visit commicast.com, then after declining a feedback survey query, you may finally get connected to the wrong department.

Seriously though, I'm fairly confident, because this will be software driven, there will be glitches. After all, 'glitch features' are part of the 'enhanced user experience'. That said, if a person is downloading illegally, not cool and should have their hand slapped.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Walled garden. I consider that essentially a non-connection. I'm not suggesting that anyone will legitimately be identified six time incorrectly. You should be careful using absolutes in your discussion, IMO.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to openbox9

to openbox9
Isn't that great? We live in a country where you're supposed to be innocent until PROVEN guilty, yet this system forces you to PROVE your innocence. And somehow the courts are ok with that.
TheRogueX

TheRogueX to tshirt

to tshirt
I bet with an open or hacked wi-fi a person could get 6 strikes in one hour.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to TheRogueX

Premium Member

to TheRogueX
This isn't a criminal procedure in a court of law. Perhaps the courts can look at the legality if someone sues an ISP and/or the CCI.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

Walled garden. I consider that essentially a non-connection. I'm not suggesting that anyone will legitimately be identified six time incorrectly. You should be careful using absolutes in your discussion, IMO.

You mention disconnection which will NOT happened since it is not mentioned anywhere. Any supposed disconnection would only happen after 6 strikes regardless. For an innocent person to be disconnected they would have to be wrongly accused 6 times. Not seeing where my post was incorrect. Sorry NOT going to happen.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to TheRogueX

Premium Member

to TheRogueX
said by TheRogueX:

I bet with an open or hacked wi-fi a person could get 6 strikes in one hour.

Then those people will have the opportunity to call in and get educated about the/their problem, which left unfixed/unsecured COULD cost them a great deal more than bandwidth or the temporary inconvenience of a warning screen.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX

Unfortunately, their real problem is money-hungry, sue-happy corporations who insist that piracy is hurting them even when multiple studies actually show quite the opposite.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

For an innocent person to be disconnected they would have to be wrongly accused 6 times. Not seeing where my post was incorrect. Sorry NOT going to happen.

whats your IP, I can show you how easy it can happen. I can make myself show up to Mediasentry(the CCI hired monitoring firm) as any IP address that I want, and I bet I can make you get 6 false accusations really fast. The sad part, is that its probably DNS redirecting, which anyone whos worth their salt in tech knowledge would not be using their ISPs DNS servers.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to openbox9

to openbox9
well, considering how the courts have said that the monitoring firms "evidence" does nothing more than identify a subscriber household and does not identify the actual person doing the downloading, how can the CCI even send out anything remotely related to legal proceedings(even in this case) under that evidence? If the courts will no longer accept it, how can they accuse anyone under it. I am waiting for the first person to be accused, and sue the CCI and Mediasentry(and file a temp or perm injunction).
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Semantics. Fine, you won't be disconnected, just restricted from doing most useful/productive things with your connection.
openbox9

openbox9 to Chubbysumo

Premium Member

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

how can the CCI even send out anything remotely related to legal proceedings(even in this case) under that evidence? If the courts will no longer accept it, how can they accuse anyone under it.

Why do you think these empty agreements were struck with the ISPs