share rss forum feed

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Avast 8?

Just updated Avast and it installed version 8 which looks quite new.
Anyone else get this?

It seems to automatically install a feature that checks a lot of different stuff on your PC to see if it is all up to date such as Flash Player, etc...

It appears that you can turn that off.

Traxless
Premium
join:2005-02-16
USA
Thank you the update notice. The new interface seems easier for me to use. And I actually like the software updater feature.

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to Sentinel
Thanks for the heads up. So far looks good and seems to be faster.

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to Sentinel

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to Sentinel
I am mistaken. The new software update "feature" cannot be turned off. You can turn it off by pressing the stop button, however it appears as though when you reboot it turns itself back on.

Does anyone know how to turn this new "feature" off permanently? Or am I going to have to press stop every time I boot up my PC?

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
After I stopped this feature I went into Settings - Software Updater and unchecked both boxes.

The Software Updater has stayed disabled after a couple of pc restarts.
I will let you know if anything changes.
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Is there anything in services.msc? That's where I'd check first.

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
I can't say I am happy to see the size of Avast keep growing. I just want an antivirus. I know I'm a dinosaur but I can't help it. I'm trying another brand...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
I'm still on 4.8.

Paranoid47

@comcast.net
reply to HA Nut
said by HA Nut:

I can't say I am happy to see the size of Avast keep growing. I just want an antivirus.

I also want just an antivirus program, and one that only runs when I want it to. My computer is on the slower side, so I don't want a lot of programs running in the background. If you want to use Avast as a scanner only (and not running all the time) you can turn the "avast! Antivirus" service to "manual" instead of "automatic" under startup type. The Avast program will not let you change this service normally, so you have to boot up in safe mode and change it there. I also have the "avastUI" startup item unchecked in msconfig. Both of these changes allow me to run Avast only when I want to. I have Avast version 7.0.1474 right now- not sure if this will work in Avast 8.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to Grail Knight
Click for full size
If you mean this then yeah, I did that too, but it keeps resetting itself back to enabled

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
That is what I meant.

Avast has a forum for reporting bugs.

Here is the link: »forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116245.0

--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

serta

join:2011-06-08
reply to Sentinel
You can also go to Windows Add/Remove and use the change feature to uninstall components/modules.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to Grail Knight
I appreciate that Grail, but that topic is many many pages long so basically a voice in the wilderness. But I don't think they will pay any attention to me because I'm sure they probably consider this a "feature" and not a bug. I will likely be met with the same old tired song of:
"Why would you want to turn it off? Don't you realize the we are just here to help you? We have no idea how to turn it off because we never anticipated any one wanting to turn it off. Since we feel it is good to have it on we assume that everyone else feels the same way and if you don't then you must be crazy and in need of mental help. Would you like us to send you someone to talk to?"
It gets tiresome and I grow weary of it. That's why I usually just come in here and find the few like minded people left that are smarter than I and have already figured out how to turn off all the "features" of various software that the collective has decided is good for us and any rejection of is a sure sign of mental instability.

Thanks though

serta,
I will try that. I did not think that perhaps it cold be a module. I'll take a look.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
You are welcome.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to serta
Click for full size
Worked like a charm! I never thought of that. Thank you very much.

serta

join:2011-06-08
Your most welcome.

During install you can get to the same components screen as shown above on Sentinel's screenie by choosing "custom" install.

HTH

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest
reply to Sentinel
Click for full size
looking good, running good
looks good, runs good

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to Sentinel
Hmm, 5 days and my install hadn't updated from v.7x. Thanks for the thread, Sentinel. Manually invoked and now installing 8.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Sentinel
Tried the internal update tonight, it borked the installation, so I uninstalled, ran CCleaner, then installed the version 8 successfully.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
Oddly enough last night I ran a regular update and it updated the program again. I had to reboot. But it does not appear that anything changed. Version 8.0.1483.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

2 recommendations

Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1483

»forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0

Change Log

- Fixed issue with ZoneAlarm
- Fixed issue with constant CPU frequency
- Fixed issue with video players
- Fixed issue with Virtual PC
- Added some localizations