tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: How to prove your guilty...

They can't link an IP to a individual, but they can link the download to an IP, and the IP to a individual modem/account, so the IP you happened to use, happened to download illegally, it can be blocked.
If you want to be unblocked YOU (account owner) must call in, listen to TOS and agree to corrective action.

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

And this is AFTER 6 strikes. At least that is my understanding. So if the information is erroneous, you will not be blocked unless the same error happens six times. I know I would call in on the first or second notice if I hadn't downloaded anything illegally, but I imagine there are others who might wait until they get the browser hijack.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA

And this warns the account holder, if it is a result of his kids downloading, or open Wi-Fi, some other extremely rare error, something unlikely to happen 6 times to any one account.
TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

I bet with an open or hacked wi-fi a person could get 6 strikes in one hour.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by TheRogueX:

I bet with an open or hacked wi-fi a person could get 6 strikes in one hour.

Then those people will have the opportunity to call in and get educated about the/their problem, which left unfixed/unsecured COULD cost them a great deal more than bandwidth or the temporary inconvenience of a warning screen.
TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

Unfortunately, their real problem is money-hungry, sue-happy corporations who insist that piracy is hurting them even when multiple studies actually show quite the opposite.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
And if it's not you then you potentially have a problem with someone jacking your connection which you never would have known about with this new rule.

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL
That is assuming you make it through the multiple prompts-confirmations-account verification, various marketing promotions, spiel from Rick G. blabbing about 'customer care', more marketing hype and visit commicast.com, then after declining a feedback survey query, you may finally get connected to the wrong department.

Seriously though, I'm fairly confident, because this will be software driven, there will be glitches. After all, 'glitch features' are part of the 'enhanced user experience'. That said, if a person is downloading illegally, not cool and should have their hand slapped.
--
»www.rockfordremodeling.biz
»www.rockfordremodeling.biz/blog/