spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Newby

@ga.us

Wireless Network Detected but Not Connecting

My Dell Inspiron 2200 runs Windows XP. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 - Wireless B router. Everything ran fine until I secured my network. Now the router works but the laptop doesn't always find the network. I get the "wireless zero configuration See Microsoft Article 871122" message. I go through the "start - run - service.msc - select Wireless Zero Configuration" process, and my network appears. (I have to go through this process each time I shutdown my laptop.)(The security is currently set in WAP-PSK TKIP.) After that, I select my network in the list with full signal strength, input the network key and click Connect. I get a message that it's "waiting for network", then the dialog box disappears and it never connects to the network - just goes back to the network selection screen. 1) How do I set it so I don't have to do the WZC config each time and 2) How do I fix it so that it connects to my network?

PLEASE HELP. Already spent hours on problem and REALLY need my laptop running.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:3
said by Newby :

Everything ran fine until I secured my network.

That is what I would fix.
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Newby
You should have the DELL Wireless Configuration tool installed, unless you happened to uninstall it. If you have it installed, you will need to manually run it in order to set it up with your "new" wireless config. This tool is what "remembers" your preferred wireless network and the password for your security type on the router.

Also, just to be clear, the Windows Zero config service should be set to autorun if it isn't already.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

WCZ should remember everything as well - I have always had more luck with the WCZ than any of the Linksys or Dell utilities. Both should not be active at the same time - one or the other.

The laptop is either not getting a IP for some reason (firewall preventing) or it is having issues with the security.

To check the security - I would make sure the laptop supports TKIP (it should) and make the password one letter - to make sure it is not an issue with entering in the incorrect password.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

PTaylor

@ga.us
reply to jimbopalmer
How do I disable the security on the network so that I can return things to normal?

PTaylor

@ga.us
reply to aguen
Thank you! How do I check whether or not the DELL Wireless Configuration tool is installed? (I'm not completely ignorant to computers...but I'm a middle of the road user who can figure some things out if you point me in the right direction. )

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
said by PTaylor :

Thank you! How do I check whether or not the DELL Wireless Configuration tool is installed? (I'm not completely ignorant to computers...but I'm a middle of the road user who can figure some things out if you point me in the right direction. )

You should see an entry in the "Start>All Programs" listing, similar to this:Dell Wireless

PTaylor

@ga.us
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

1 recommendation

reply to Newby
Windows XP does not natively support WPA encryption. Make sure you have the appropriate patch installed.

It will support WEP. But, WEP is very easy to crack. Since you specified "WAP-PSK-TKIP" I assume you are using WPA and it's just a typo.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

1 recommendation

reply to Newby
Why aren't you using WPA2 AES?

Just use WPA2 AES and set a key and enter the key in windows, don't use this Wireless Zero and WPA easy setup junk.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified