Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

1 Gbps is overkill

50/10 is more than enough for residential use. The only users who need 1 Gbps are businesses and web servers.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

50/10 is more than enough for residential use. The only users who need 1 Gbps are businesses and web servers.

For most households, I agree with that. There may be some exceptions, where the household has 4 or more members using internet extensively. An example of those could be both parents working from home either as entrepreneurs or home office for a company requiring extensive downloads & especially uploads and a couple teenagers watching videos non-stop. But for the average home of 1 single parent with 1 or 2 kids, the std tier offered by Comcast for example of 20/4.5 is more than enough. Why would they upgrade from a $50/mo bill to even $70/mo for much faster speeds. It just wouldn't be needed with current online applications available.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
For many folks, anything above 3 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up is overkill. This hasn't stopped anyone from offering something faster as a marketing edge.

In today's environment, an incumbent ISP is leaving money on the table if it has more than a handful of users on its highest tier. If there are twenty users on 100/5, there's a good chance that one of them would be willing to pay more for an even faster connection.

As far as overkill goes, could I do all of my work over a 3/768 DSL connection? Yeah...I've done it over 1.5/384 DSL. Doesn't mean it's pleasant. I've gone from 8/2 to 50/15 service from 2008 to 2012 and I had a use for 50/15 (and could have used more speed, but I wasn't going to pay $85 more for only 5 Mbps extra up). Whether 50/15 is overkill isn't as relevant as whether I'm willing to pay the price that they were charging ($115) for that connection. I was.

As a new entrant into a market (e.g. GFiber), you price yourself differently.TWC doesn't have to compete if they don't want to...but their lack of competition is mainly because they'd have to lower prices on high-end tiers, something that would cost them more money than attrition to GFiber at the moment. Now they can't come out and say this, but that's why they aren't lowering prices and amping up speeds. The needs of the mass populace for gigabit speeds has nothing to do with it.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

trparky to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
In a business setting, those people should get business class Internet connections.

Even with two people, and at one time, three people in my house, we never even came close to maxing out the 50 Mbps downstream channel that we had. And that was with heavy downloading and use of NetFlix.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

1 recommendation

rebus9 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

So you speak for everyone?

There are plenty of us who strongly disagree with you.

I graph my home usage and track 95th percentile. My usage is significantly higher at home than most of the business locations my $DAYJOB manages. (all of which are monitored with Solarwinds NPM)
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Whois gives a damn if it is "overkill". Why in the world would anyone with any sense would pay more for far less speed?
So, by your reasoning everyone In Silicon Valley should stop making things orders of magnitude faster than old technology, since after all, what they use right now is good enough for most people.
I guess that by now I should stop being surprised about comments like yours. I've said this before and I'll say it again, just because you lack the imagination on what this speed could be used for doesn't mean there won't be plenty of people that will have no problem doing just that.
The reason why you think that 50 megabits are enough for most people is obvious. The Internet is slow EVERYWHERE. So why would developers build applications for non-obsolete systems? Give all users non-obsolete technogy and applications will come very soon after. Of course if we leave that task to the incumbents it will never happen.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
The problem w/ TWC tiers in my neck is they go:

1/1 - No stream, no rich video
3/1 - Barely stream, no rich video
15/1 - Stream, no rich video, cloud apps suck
20/2 - Stream, marginal rich video, cloud apps still suck
30/5 - stream multiple, rich video (1), cloud apps marginal
50/5 - stream multiple, rich video (1), cloud apps marginal ($75 12 mo)

If you see no matter the offering today, cloud apps are going to be marginal and rich video/collaboration is barely passable. So I would call this quite poor if you want to do any rich video/.cloud which everyone is pushing today.

I myself have 25/25 and I can tell you there is a huge difference for cloud backup, rich video, P2P, etc with that symm upload versus the 15/2 I used to have w/ TWC. Add to the fact the PROMO rate is $75 for 50/5 and I would say this is simply a MARGINAL offering, one that say the US government would offer if they were running the show.

So essentially they would have you believe a C product is a B product, and certainly not an A product, for the price of an A product. Compare US: D product best, A price. TWC is not far off, and if they had no competition I'm positive they would be a D product, and not a C student.

For now, TWC is only a bargaining chip w/ Verizon for my FIOS which is simply a far superior product and ultra reliable. I would call it a B+ product (price is what kills it) where Google is of course A+ on all fronts.

I used to build datacenters, and Cu would put in 10GB links where they may only hit 20 MB/sec BECAUSE they didn't want the pipe to be the bottleneck. Remind you of Google.

I'm sorry to burst people's bubble, but a properly constructed network should be a minimal bottleneck AT most, and TWC's offerings from what I have experienced are typically bottlenecked most of the time. Yes QoS should kick in, but if I'm being throttled at 25/25 and my link is at 3% utilization, that is a SORRY SHAME.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

What cloud apps are marginal at 50/5?

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

we never even came close to maxing out the 50 Mbps downstream channel that we had. And that was with heavy downloading and use of NetFlix.

Not to be rude, but I call bullshit on this one. "Heavy downloading" alone will max out a 50mbps downstream easily. Whether using IRC bots, Usenet, BT, doesn't matter. It's extremely easy to max out 50mbps.

If you're just using Netflix, now that's a totally different story. But that's not what you said.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I can't even get most servers to fill the pipe unless I make multiple connections to the same server with segmented downloads. Luckily, I have DownThemAll as a Firefox extension that facilitates segmented downloads.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
640kb of ram should be enough for any one
(yes i know its unknown if any ever said that but its still holds true)
elios

elios to FFH5

to FFH5
ever upload HD video to youtube 5Mbps up doesnt cut it
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to FFH5

to FFH5
Any of them that UPLOAD data to the cloud. That is the big sinister secret of cable marketing, it's not that the download is anemic (it's just OK), the upload is crappy.

Backup your data to the cloud
Remote desktops w/ rich video
VPN data transfer from source (your house)
Rich conferencing
Collaboration
Telepresence
Cloud synching apps (box, dropbox, sugarsync, etc)
itunes match, amazon
P2P (illegal or not)
Facebook coming apps
Sling media, etc. (Remote viewing of stored data)
Any of the yet to emerge cloud-based apps that don't exist because the upload speed SUCKS.

If I were to compare the relatively similar 20/2 or 30/5 to my 25/25, we are talking a factor of 12.5 to 5 WORSE performance for the approximate same cost. For a mere $10 Verizon is offering me to go to 75/35, but I am happy w/ 25/25 grandfathered for now because the UPLOAD speed is faster than generally any remote point I access from.

Really the fact that you still probably have a hard drive and have to manage unstructured data is a problem. I work for a storage company, so I deal with data ingest like it was a nightmare.

keithps
Premium Member
join:2002-06-26
Soddy Daisy, TN

keithps to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
I find that difficult to believe since I can easily fill up my 100Mbps pipe.

whiteshp
join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

whiteshp to FFH5

to FFH5
What is funny is if you have been around for 10+ years that was the Bells argument against deploying DSL for consumers. They said people would only ever use dial-up. Only business would ever have a need DSL speeds and should pay business prices.

People need to learn monopoly self serving arguments never ever change ever....