Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

[RANT] Mediacom pricing is total BS

So right now, existing Mediacom customers can get the Prime Plus internet package for $14.95/month for a year if they sign up for it online.

But not if you have internet currently or have had it anytime in the past 90 days.

If you fit in that category, you pay $59.95/month PLUS a $5 modem fee PLUS a $15 'High Speed Basic' fee (if you don't have television or phone service also - a total bullshit fee that exists only to PUNISH cord-cutters, it seems).. so I pay $65/month more than that promotion. Oh, and loyal customers get no special promotions or bonuses for being loyal.

This is the sad, sorry state of things in this country. Companies don't give a damn if you're a loyal customer. They only care if you're a NEW customer.

But hey, the customer service rep did say I could upgrade to the 50Mbps speed.. for just $5 more! Asinine.

MediacomChad - are there any promotions going on that they just don't openly share? Or is there any way I can get myself on that online promotion? Because crap like this is seriously making me think about just giving up on internet altogether. I don't know how I'd survive, but paying these ludicrous prices is bullshit.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
Promotions vary month to month and area by area. I can gladly check to see if there is anything available in your area if you want to PM me your telephone# or account#.

WadeG

join:2012-08-22
Cadiz, KY
reply to TheRogueX
Yeah the price you pay (me $252.67 month) is not worth it with the slow speeds vs what you signed up for and the old movies on the pay channels like HBO Showtime and such.

rudnicke
Premium
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL
kudos:4
reply to TheRogueX
I pay $74.95 a month for 20/2, but all I ever really get it 10/512. Customer service doesn't seem to care.
--
One Big Ass Mistake America

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
Same here with the speeds. I cant get over 10Mbps download at any time for the past year. The only speed increase I have seen is how fast my bill goes up. »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor ··· c=6456.0

This is also a PM I got not long ago from them:

In an email from XXXX on 12/17, he informed us that you were told on numerous occasions that we had exhausted all options that are available to us to improve your service. He also explained this to you when he replied to your email.

Unfortunately, there is nothing else that we will be able to do going forward.

If for any reason at all you feel like you have been given false information, bring it to the attention of Mr. XXXXX so he can address it

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
WadeG you are expecting way too much. Latency will change and the speed will vary. If you don't like the service you can always downgrade or cancel.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you only have internet service with Mediacom. I skimmed through your thread and it seems to me they have been more than accommodating. Your obviously use your service because the data usage shows some pretty impressive numbers.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

1 edit
reply to rudnicke
That sounds awful high for 20/2. Do you only have internet service, and pay the modem fee or what?

I paid $54.95 for the same 20/2 package less than a year ago!

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
no its 74.95 with the 15.00 internet only bs fee...

trust me I took phone service so I didnt have to pay it. Since customer service was nice enough to tell me I can bring my own phone modem they just wont push firmware to it. Thats fine aris tm402g for 18 with shipping thank you very much.

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
So $59.95 with TV or phone service and your own modem... damn man, I'm paying that for Ultra50! Which I might add, I'm very thankful for... Chad.

Only bad part is it ends in May, then jumps to $94.95 or $99.95. After 9 months of use I can say it's not worth keeping for me personally.

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
reply to TheRogueX
Speed-wise I've always done well. I have a few little issues here and there, but I think it's the wiring in this townhouse that causes it, not the service itself (moved service to another outlet in the house but haven't had a chance to change the wallplate or the fittings yet + nothing's properly torqued down).

I just find that $15 basic fee to be insulting. Anyway, Chad has helped me out, so I guess I'm not going anywhere for now.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous
First thank you for your help. Second Latency is not the only issue but the high latency is always there. It is never below 87 or for any gaming 120. The "up to speeds" is a cover up for not providing anything over 10Mbps at any time ever. Yes I use a lot of data that is why I want the speeds. Yes you see the numbers because I have to do like the old days, start a download of a large file (over 5 gig) then go to bed. get up in the morning and find out how much time I have left for it to finish. Some times I have to start the process all over due to packet loss and the files get corrupted. I have to do this every day. So for them being accommodating (as you put it) I was told in my house they want me to go away. My family was told to "Shut up" wile trying to explain to the area supervisor (in my house) what the issue is. I have had 4 credits over the past year for a 13 month issue and my bill still goes up. Oh and you guess wrong. I have TV, Internet, and phone and I pay $252.67 a month. So where is the love?

Anonymous
Premium
IA
If your problem is not getting fixed you need to downgrade your service? Why pay more for speed you can not get? FWIW in my area ever since the DOCSIS 3 went live I have NEVER seen utilization peaking above 60%. Not once.
--

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Trust me we have tried that. If I downgrade to the 10Mbps then I can only get 3-5Mbps. There is nothing to fix it. Downgrading makes the service slower by 50% of the service I am suppose to get (on any level/tier service). Been there done that. The problem is the only other option for any internet in my area is Mediacom or dialup. We cant even get DSL here and wireless is out of the question since I cant even get a signal to my own cell phone.

joleme

join:2013-01-20

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous
gotta love how mediacom is a monopoly in so many areas. Absolutely no other choice because towns seem to make 20 year deals with them. They know they can push you around all they want. It really is a horribly unethical company.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to WadeG
To be honest I never heard of anything like that. I mean if there is a utilization issue it will only show up during peak usage. No idea how your speed would be messed up like that all the time.
--

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to joleme
I think the bigger problem is the fact Mediacom serves rural areas and smaller markets that are not really target areas for companies like Comcast.
--

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

I think you are correct on that statement. They shouldn't serve the rural areas with and advertised product they can not provide. They should pull stakes and let us be without any kind of service at all (being sarcastic). Since the conversion to digital TV OTA I went from being able to receive 30 channels with an roof top antenna to 0 with a very expensive HD antenna. Seems if you do not live in a major metro area you are just stuck with what little you can get even if it kind of works. Just saying.