share rss forum feed

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Problems with "Watch ESPN" app

Anybody else with FiOS unable to watch ESPN2 or ESPNU using "Watch ESPN?" When I try to watch anything on those two channels - using my iPhone, iPad or XBox - I get a popup message telling me that I cannot watch the stream and to check with FiOS to make sure I'm subscribed to the channels. (I'm an Ultimate customer, so obviously I get all the ESPNs.) Oddly, I have no trouble watching ESPN or ESPN3 through the app. Thought I'd check here before contacting Verizon. Thanks in advance.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

Are you able to watch ESPN2/U via the web -- »watchespn.com ?

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by kes601:

Are you able to watch ESPN2/U via the web -- »watchespn.com ?

No, I am not. Just ESPN and ESPN3. Sorry, I should have made that clearer above.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
reply to bsangs

I'm getting the same errors on the PC (all browsers apparently per the Verizon forum) and the Anrdoid App for these two feeds. ESPN and ESPN3 are fine.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by PJL:

I'm getting the same errors on the PC (all browsers apparently per the Verizon forum) and the Anrdoid App for these two feeds. ESPN and ESPN3 are fine.

So let me ask you, is this a new development, or has it always been the case? I honestly have not tried to access ESPN2 or ESPNU through "Watch ESPN" on any platform - maybe ever - until today. So I don't know if it's an existing issue or that's just the way it works with FiOS.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

1 edit

This is new as of today. I was able to watch all feeds on Wed 2/27. Verizon's release on this says we should get all. See »forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at···p/282981

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

supposedly an outage,
»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Te···p/518599

PJL

Long Beach, CA

"Supposedly" is the operative word. The "employee" post says that the outage is "...due to an (sic) group outage affecting many areas, no eta, upgrades going on the ESPN for ipad,pc,mobile.." which is interesting" since there is no "upgrade" for the PC client -- maybe the web site is being upgraded, but not the client (the browser). The PC site uses Flash, and if it works for one of the ESPN networks it should work for all. And the iPad app does not use Flash (remember what S.J. said about Flash...). So I'm not buying the explanation. And using a browser (not app) on mobile works fine for ESPN and ESPN3 but not ESPN2 or ESPN either.

The poster that posted the "outage" post says they're a Verizon employee but are not identified as such by account (no employee logo).

hubrisnxs

Fountain Valley, CA

4 edits
reply to kes601

fwiw, I can NOT access espn 2 and U from web or my android. I made a boo boo earlier and said I could.

Try emailing them for an official answer
apple-support@verizon.com

android-appsupport@verizon.com

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by hubrisnxs:

fwiw, I can NOT access espn 2 and U from my android. I made a boo boo earlier and said I could.

Try emailing them for an official answer
apple-support@verizon.com

android-appsupport@verizon.com

It is NOT an app problem -- it is a site problem. You might want to review my prior post.

hubrisnxs

Fountain Valley, CA

never said it was an app problem, but the people at the app support links would have answers upfront agents would not about ESPN.

I mentioned earlier I can do web and app, and it was an error, I am also not able to do both.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

2 edits
reply to bsangs

I reported this via the WatchESPN web contact us and received the following response from ESPN: "We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience."

So now we know it's not a Verizon issue, and that the apps are not the problem.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to hubrisnxs

An outage since December?

PJL

Long Beach, CA

2 edits

said by bsangs:

An outage since December?

It worked fine yesterday 2/27/2013. The problem in the thread you pointed us to is old, although it has been revived due to the current issues.

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25
reply to bsangs

Starting yesterday, I was getting this error on the HBO app for ipad and Kindle Fire, and the Cartoon network app on the ipad.

Both of these use the same verizon authentication.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by nfotiu:

Starting yesterday, I was getting this error on the HBO app for ipad and Kindle Fire, and the Cartoon network app on the ipad.

Both of these use the same verizon authentication.

ESPN support has confirmed to me via email that this is their problem, not Verizon's. Your HBOGo problem doen't seem related to a probem at ESPN. My HBOGo is working normally. ESPN and HBOGo (and other services) authenticate using a process that involves confirming the user with Verizon before granting access. Clearly this is working -- at ESPN and ESPN 3, along with HBOGo ( for me at least) plus CNN, TNT, MSNBC, CNN and TBS, all of which I used today.

Bird

@verizon.net

I am suddenly unable to log in and use Epix or Showtime app or ipad. Seems like Verizon has an issue.

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25

I had your issue, and was on with support. They told me that my account was no longer associated with my tv programming. It was a few days ago, and I could still login and see my account info at my verizon.

The fix for me was to go to here from a windows pc that is on my local fios network:

»activate.verizon.net/

Go through all the steps (uncheck all the verizon bloatware along the way.). After 5 minutes, all was working.

Bird

@verizon.net

Tried that link. Still no luck.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

1 edit
reply to bsangs

It looks like ESPN2 and ESPNU are back. I just got the feeds, in addition to ESPN and ESPN3, with no problems. I didn't have to re-login, clear cookies, or anything on the PC, and the Android app is working too.

Edit add: I just checked things out completely on WatchESPN -- something I never really did before because I get enough of ESPN at the gym (it's everywhere on the screens there) and I'm not that into continuous sports programming. I have to say that the quality is outstanding for streaming video (the video quality indicator showed all five segments most of the time) -- even when I went to the four-screen simultaneous feed function.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

All ESPN Networks are playing on the iOS app.