uniqs

creativedog
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

Choosing between HSA and PPO health plans

Married with two daughters. Part owner of a company and premiums are handled by company for either plan. Have had two stents and met deductible on HSA plan in the previous two years...Fingers crossed for no more issues but the risk is there. Wife and daughters have the normal cold/flu office visits each year....here are the two best ones to choose from in each category:

HSA:
$3600 family deductible
80% drs visits and hospital services
$15 copay for generics (after deductible)
$30 copay for brand (after deductible)
$3000/$5500 out of pocket max

PPO:
$750 deductible
$35 copay for drs visits
$500 copay for hospital services then 80%
$15 copay for generics
$150 deductible then $30 copay for brand
$4000/$8000 out of pocket max

Since I have been on the HSA I have $500/month put into the account for out of pocket expenses. I'd have no issue continuing that unless putting that money back in my pocket and adjusting taxes taken out would be a better option with the PPO.

Thoughts about the two plans?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Since you don't have to pay for the plan the PPO is probably better since your deductible is $2,900 less. Unless you think you will hit the out of pocket maximum of the HSA. It is unclear if the deductible applies to the out of pocket max. If it does not, then the PPO all the way since the HSA would be $3,600 + $5,500 for $9,100. and the PPO would be $8,750 for the family or $6,600 and $4,750 for an individual.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

The out of pocket max includes the deductible.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

Than something must me wrong with the HSA as it has a 3600$ deductable but a 3000/5500 (which i assume is in/out of network) out of pocket max.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

The 3000/5500 is individual/family out of pocket max not in/out of network.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

3 edits

hitachi369

Premium Member

What is the in/out network max for the ppo? The only reason I ask is my company in/out max is 6k/12k. 12k is brutal. Do you have no choice for HMO, that for most people is a nice middle road between HSA and PPO?

Between HSA/PPO with children I would choose PPO. The deductable on the HSA will chew you up, with children needing/wanting to go to the doctor for minor things, the covered office visits and lower deducatable of the PPO will pay for itself.