Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

seaman to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer

Re: Miocrosoft Office 2013 licensing nightmare

said by Kramer:

Just went through a similar nightmare... As I read through the Internet I see people who have this happen for weeks at a time.

Glad to know that I am not alone. It sounds as though you ran into a lag in the Microsoft account activation but I have run into similar problems with Office "keycard" activations. Having to wait hours to days is not uncommon. "The service is not available at this time. You may try again later..." Gee thanks. Processing software activations isnt really THAT complicated, is it? There is no excuse for this type of incompetent engineering. I see plenty of other companies handle these transactions quite well.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
Didn't think so.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

As I read through the Internet I see people who have this happen for weeks at a time. Microsoft is clearly doing everything they know how to destroy their business. I've been in this business for about 20 years and I have never seen anything like it.

I'm pretty much with you on this sentiment.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to seaman

Premium Member

to seaman
said by seaman:

Having to wait hours to days is not uncommon.

I went through that, except my delay was days. I entered the queue, waited 40 minutes, was given the option to have them call me back so I chose that... they never called me back.

I called them back and waited in the queue for more than an hour and had to be bounced to the technical support department for an issue that had nothing to do with me and everything to do with downloading their software.

I also had this issue with Quickbooks once, I had a day where we simply couldn't use Quickbooks since their activation server was unavailable. Phone support said, "you'll just have to try again tomorrow." I incredulously asked, "So I walk into a store, buy a product, but can't use it today?" The overseas representative answered with a clinical "That is correct sir."

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to seaman

Mod

to seaman
Yep, they took the product key no problem. FWIW, I was able to send the confirmation email about 5 minutes ago. Obviously someone fixed something and it took about 12-18 hours.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike to HateOffice

Premium Member

to HateOffice
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
--John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

See: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo ··· on_Acton

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to HateOffice

MVM

to HateOffice
quote:
Microsoft reverses course, says Office 2013 licenses can now be transferred to new PCs

There were plenty of Office users none too pleased with Microsoft's recent decision to tie Office 2013 retail licenses to the PC they were originally installed on, and it looks like the company has been listening to them. Microsoft announced in a blog post today that it's changing the policy, and will now allow users to transfer the license if they get a new PC or the old one fails. The company says that it will update the actual license agreement included with the software in a future release, but makes it clear that the change is effective immediately. Of course, there are still some limitations. You can't transfer the license more than once every 90 days unless there's a hardware failure, and you still can't have the software on more than one computer at the same time. You can find the full text of the new license at the source link.
»www.engadget.com/2013/03 ··· ferable/

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

1 recommendation

cypherstream

MVM

Nice. Now we just have to convince them to include a start menu and uninstall Metro option in Win8 if the user so chooses and we will be back in business.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo

said by cypherstream:

Nice. Now we just have to convince them to include a start menu and uninstall Metro option in Win8 if the user so chooses and we will be back in business.

Now you're talking...

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

quote:
Microsoft reverses course, says Office 2013 licenses can now be transferred to new PCs

If only they'd fix it so that their site didn't default to x64 install when some people need 32-bit install, and if only they didn't make it so impossible to download the 32-bit install without necessary phone calls and if only they'd let you download alternative versions without calling in to have them de-activate...

... and if only you could call Microsoft and be transferred without them dropping calls.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

... and if only you could call Microsoft and be transferred without them dropping calls.

Bit off topic I know, but I had a phone conversation over activation of an O/S license once that bounced me off I'm assuming India, then the USA just to activate, and I consider that a simple task. All over an hour on the phone on their time. Those phone bills must be large if half of what is said here is true. Their Telco has just doubled it's yearly profit margin. I wish I could do the same.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

Bit off topic I know, but I had a phone conversation over activation of an O/S license once that bounced me off I'm assuming India, then the USA just to activate, and I consider that a simple task. All over an hour on the phone on their time.

Not entirely off topic as I'm in the queue for second level support right now... 31 minutes on hold so far waiting for that transfer. Maybe I only have 29 minutes to go??? I cooked dinner while waiting. I expect I'll be able to eat it during that period.