n2ubp

join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

[DSL] Help Desk says firewall use not supported: Netgear 7550

11:13 AM Connecting...
11:13 AM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
11:14 AM Support session established with Frontier Internet Chat Support.
11:14 AM Frontier Internet Chat Support:
Hello. My name is XXXXXX and I will be your Frontier Technical Support representative. Can I get the phone number associated with the account?
11:14 AM Mindless end user:
xxx-yyy-zzzz
11:15 AM Frontier Internet Chat Support:
Thank you, how may I help you?
11:18 AM Mindless end user:
Yesterday Frontier shipped me a Netgear 7550 router. I'm having some trouble configuring the firewall. If I set it to low then everything works okay. If I set it to "typical" or medium then I can not receive POP3 mail using Thunderbird or Outlook Express. The medium setting for the firewall seems to be blocking pop3 service, yet the description of this medium firewall setting says it should pass e-mail. Am I doing something incorrectly ?
11:19 AM Frontier Internet Chat Support:
Are you using your Frontier email or a different address?
11:20 AM Mindless end user:
Multiple e-mail accounts including my frontier account. All fail to connect.
11:22 AM Frontier Internet Chat Support:
We don't support the firewall settings in the modem, I can verify you are using the most up to date servers for you frontier account.
11:22 AM Mindless end user:
What firewall setting should I be using ?
11:23 AM Frontier Internet Chat Support:
We usually just leave it to the default settings.
11:23 AM Mindless end user:
Do you know if there might be a firmware upgrade for this router?
11:26 AM Frontier Internet Chat Support:
That modem upgrades automatically
11:26 AM Mindless end user:
Okay.. Thank you very much

n2ubp

Middletown, NY
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

Re: [DSL] Help Desk says firewall use not supported: Netgear 755

IMHO, The Netgear 7550 router firewall as programmed by Frontier is totally useless if it can not be configured to provide at least at minimum the level of firewall capability expected today from most consumer grade routers. I plan on using the 7550 as nothing more than an ADSL modem. I will attach another router with a decent firewall to the 7550 that has a decent firewall built into the firmware. I can't trust the current 7550 firmware.

n2ubp

Middletown, NY
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to n2ubp
IMHO, The Netgear 7550 router firewall as programmed by Frontier is totally useless if it can not be configured to provide at least at minimum the level of firewall capability expected today from most consumer grade routers. I plan on using the 7550 as nothing more than an ADSL modem. I will attach another router with a decent firewall to the 7550 that has a decent firewall built into the firmware. I can't trust the current 7550 firmware.

FTR Tech

join:2013-02-12
reply to n2ubp
I would like to apologize for the huge misunderstanding. We do in fact support firewall change in OUR modems. Our modems firewalls are typically set to either low or off to allow users to set up their own computer based or hardware based firewall. This helps us conform to the vast majority of our users needs. If the firewall in the 7550 is the only firewall you are using there is nothing in the medium or low settings that should block POP3 communication.
Typically when POP3 communication is blocked it is caused by secondary Firewalls (Windows, Security programs or Sonic Firewall) used in conjunction with the Firewall in our modem.
Can you check your system and make sure there are no other Firewalls up that could be causing an issue. If you do not find anything then please give us a call because you may simply have a bad modem from the factory.
You can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-239-4430.

Have a good day.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to n2ubp
n2ubp - Your observations are identical to my experience. I have a total of 3 7500 and 3 7550, they all cause similar issues. I have ran into to similar problems when attempting to port forward. They work for a short period of time then suddenly stop working. So like you have suggested I use the modems in bridge mode as the front end to my ZyXel USG router. Try setting up custom rules and advise if you had any success.

Sorry FTR Tech not trying to argue with you just passing on my observations and experiences.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to n2ubp
I agree the firewall and port forwards needs some serious work on these modems.

I had set my own 7550 manually and work around the bugs in the modem myself. It should not be as difficult as the firmware on this modem makes it.
Expand your moderator at work