Search similar:

uniqs

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel
join:2001-03-31
Not on map

Pistol Pete

New water heater question

A little history, in 2007 Sears installed a new 40 gallon gas water heater, 12 yr warranty. In Dec. of 2012 Sears replaced the 2007 heater under warranty with another 40 gal. heater. Now on the new heater I notice when I start to do laundry, (water temp. set on warm on washing machine) after approx. 4 gallons of warm water the burner on hot water heater starts, turn washing machine off, water heater continues for a couple minutes then burner goes off, turn washing machine back on, run another 4 gallons of warm water in washing machine, water heater starts again.

Is this normal? Should I not be able to run more than approx. 4 gallons of warm water into washing machine before the water heater starts? Temperature setting on water heater set at approximately 125-130 degrees.

Thanks in advance for expert replies.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Where do you live? The incoming water temperature and the set point of the water heater will be large factors.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Pistol Pete

MVM

to Pistol Pete

Is this normal?

Yes.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

2nd the 'sounds normal'

-j

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel
join:2001-03-31
Not on map

Pistol Pete

Thanks for replies.

I was thinking that you should be able to pull more than approx 2 gallons of water from heater before it would start up to reheat again. Guess my thinking was wrong.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Sounds like it's operating optimally. If you introduce 2 gallons of cold water - that water needs to be heated as soon as possible.

The hottest water moves to the top of the tank (heat rises), and the cold water comes in at the bottom, closer to where the temp sensor and burner are.

-- Rob