[Humor] Cable Install

At least there's a face plate.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

The installer probably wouldn't even feel that ABS pipe when drilling.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

Yeah but even if he still didn't notice the ABS pieces wrapped around his drill bit... it had to be a real pain in the ass to fish that wire in and back out the vent stack AND both walls. They had to have known.

Phillip
I Need A Nap

join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Archivis

Wow...You must had some crappy signals!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to pike

said by pike:

Yeah but even if he still didn't notice the ABS pieces wrapped around his drill bit... it had to be a real pain in the ass to fish that wire in and back out the vent stack AND both walls. They had to have known.

The ABS falls into the wall cavity and the wire is attached to the bit and pulled through.

Check out 'bellhanger bits'...
--
Nothing makes an American want to do something more than telling them they can't.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to Archivis

Well, if this section is high enough in the house and is only serving as a vent, it's nothing a little silicone around the cable where it goes through the holes won't fix.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to Archivis

What made you cut the sheet rock?

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Check out 'bellhanger bits'...

Thx, I've never run across one. Learned something today!

panth1
The Coyote

join:2000-12-11
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Archivis

Someone sucks a drilling and using a drywall saw.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

Please tell me that wasn't ROGERS Cable who did that?

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to pende_tim

said by pende_tim:

What made you cut the sheet rock?

The smell?

TheSMJ

join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI
reply to Archivis

Cable installers are the worst. They did a similar job at the house I just bought - just punched wires right through the wall\floor. Sometimes they'd go from one room to the next by drilling into one room from an outside wall, then placing a splitter on the line and going through the ceiling/floor to reach the next room. Clearly they were more interested in getting the job done as fast as possible rather than correctly. If they did that to my house while I was living there, I'd have been pissed.

But at least you got face plates! In my case they just left ~10 ft of cable to connect to the receiver at each "termination" point.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by TheSMJ:

Clearly they were more interested in getting the job done as fast as possible rather than correctly.

Pick 2: good, fast, cheap

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Archivis

Satellite installers too. The one that did my DirecTV "professional installation" didn't even screw the multiswitch to the wall, and just left cable hanging to the BB DECA connected to my router. Thankfully with SWM I could have used the existing wiring in my house otherwise it would have been much worse.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by fifty nine:

Satellite installers too. The one that did my DirecTV "professional installation" didn't even screw the multiswitch to the wall, and just left cable hanging to the BB DECA connected to my router. Thankfully with SWM I could have used the existing wiring in my house otherwise it would have been much worse. The DECA, power supply, and multiswitch were mounted to the wall in the closet where all of their coax and Ethernet lines run into.

That sucks. The Direct TV installer that did my parents house was great. Most of the house had already been pre-wired with coax and Ethernet by me and used with u-verse, but he did have to add some to get to the dish and another room we wanted to add TV service to. The dish was installed in a great location on the roof that can not be seen from the front and barely from the back, the associated wiring was completely hidden going into the attic, and the wiring to the new room was done on the outside in a way where it is not even noticeable.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Seems to be a hit or miss. This guy came in his own minivan, didn't really speak English, and even asked me if I could take some of the empty boxes (trash) that he had. WTF?

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

When we built our house, we used the Dish Advantage movers plan to get the dish installed. When I called Dish I gave them explicit instructions that the dish was not to be attached to the house in anyway, and especially not roof mounted. I wanted it pole mounted next to the house instead.

I am glad I decided to take the morning off work the day they came out. Dish did not pass any info on to him about mounting locations, and he was all prepared to drill holes into my new roof. He wasn't happen when he had to dig and bury the pole.

askinder

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
reply to Archivis

I work for an alarm company and we had a technician that was able to fish a wire from basement to the keypad location, but then apparently stuck a screw in the vent stack when mounting the keypad. Sometime $#|+ happens.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Archivis

»cheezburger.com/7101298688
--
»mc-buildville.enjin.com/

askinder

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
reply to Archivis

Also, this looks like the pipe had been repaired before, ie, cheesy pipe clamp repair and remnants of previous blocking for a drywall repair.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

That fitting looks appropriate, to me, for a vent pipe. What is "right" for a pipe used for this service?

Westofhere

join:2005-04-07
West Coast

A glued fitting, i.e. »www.hardwareworld.com/Coupling-A···0UR.aspx

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Thanks, is that a code requirement? I know that hubless connectors are often used even for the wet side of pipes, where clamps are used to hold onto the outside of pipes. I'm just wondering why they can't be used in this application, where there should be very little pressure.

BTW, I did know that glued fittings were available, but still wonder if the hubless are somehow inferior for a non-pressurized application.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 edit
reply to Archivis

No, a Fernco or hubless connector could be a perfectly acceptable fix for this on a DWV system...

EDIT - and to be honest, would probably be the only option to fix this, unless there's enough play in the stack to get a glued in coupling into place...

EDIT 2 - As robbin See Profile pointed out - codes vary... Where I am - it would be acceptable...

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

I think it depends on the area whether it is acceptable or not. Many areas don't allow them unless they are accessible. In other words, it couldn't be covered with sheetrock inside a wall.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

Around here you can couple older cast iron to PVC pipes underground with them, and then bury them.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Archivis

Can't you guys just laugh at the damn picture instead of figuring out 50 ways of acceptance?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

Around here you can couple older cast iron to PVC pipes underground with them, and then bury them.

Buried underground is different than being buried inside a wall.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

Can't you guys just laugh at the damn picture instead of figuring out 50 ways of acceptance?

Nope, this is the Home Improvement forum after all.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

What? NO WAY!

I was next going to bring up if the size of the hole through the pipe was sufficient, or if the installer should've used a bigger diameter bit.