uniqs
share rss forum feed

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to AlarmGuy

Re: [Humor] Cable Install

That fitting looks appropriate, to me, for a vent pipe. What is "right" for a pipe used for this service?

Westofhere

join:2005-04-07
West Coast

A glued fitting, i.e. »www.hardwareworld.com/Coupling-A···0UR.aspx

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Thanks, is that a code requirement? I know that hubless connectors are often used even for the wet side of pipes, where clamps are used to hold onto the outside of pipes. I'm just wondering why they can't be used in this application, where there should be very little pressure.

BTW, I did know that glued fittings were available, but still wonder if the hubless are somehow inferior for a non-pressurized application.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 edit
reply to Archivis

No, a Fernco or hubless connector could be a perfectly acceptable fix for this on a DWV system...

EDIT - and to be honest, would probably be the only option to fix this, unless there's enough play in the stack to get a glued in coupling into place...

EDIT 2 - As robbin See Profile pointed out - codes vary... Where I am - it would be acceptable...

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

I think it depends on the area whether it is acceptable or not. Many areas don't allow them unless they are accessible. In other words, it couldn't be covered with sheetrock inside a wall.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

Around here you can couple older cast iron to PVC pipes underground with them, and then bury them.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Archivis

Can't you guys just laugh at the damn picture instead of figuring out 50 ways of acceptance?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

Around here you can couple older cast iron to PVC pipes underground with them, and then bury them.

Buried underground is different than being buried inside a wall.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

Can't you guys just laugh at the damn picture instead of figuring out 50 ways of acceptance?

Nope, this is the Home Improvement forum after all.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

What? NO WAY!

I was next going to bring up if the size of the hole through the pipe was sufficient, or if the installer should've used a bigger diameter bit.

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA

said by garys_2k:

said by Archivis:

What? NO WAY!

I was next going to bring up if the size of the hole through the pipe was sufficient, or if the installer should've used a bigger diameter bit.

Bigger is always better!
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill