how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chagae

join:2013-02-28
Sherbrooke, QC

[Voip.ms] Incoming calls on iPad 2

I use voip.ms service for my home phone and iPad. I downloaded Bria apps on my iPad. Setups were completed and it works (in and out calls). However, Bria doesn't stay alive and I frequently missed incoming calls. Bria support knows the problem of with iOS6 and UDP "disconnection" with iPad and suggested to use TCP instead of UDP transport. I wanted to stay with voip.ms, so Bria made the suggestion to add PBxes service to convert from UDP to TCP. Before adding layers of services, I tried another app - Zopier using "forced background operation", with the same problem with incoming calls. Moreover, Bria and Zopier "staying alive in background" option significantly decrease battery life! Questions: 1) Is there an iPad 2 App that "really" works in background without draining the battery? Is TCP transport better than UDP to solve the incoming calls problem? Tks for your advice.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

said by chagae:

I use voip.ms service for my home phone and iPad. I downloaded Bria apps on my iPad. Setups were completed and it works (in and out calls). However, Bria doesn't stay alive and I frequently missed incoming calls. Bria support knows the problem of with iOS6 and UDP "disconnection" with iPad and suggested to use TCP instead of UDP transport. I wanted to stay with voip.ms, so Bria made the suggestion to add PBxes service to convert from UDP to TCP. Before adding layers of services, I tried another app - Zopier using "forced background operation", with the same problem with incoming calls. Moreover, Bria and Zopier "staying alive in background" option significantly decrease battery life! Questions: 1) Is there an iPad 2 App that "really" works in background without draining the battery? Is TCP transport better than UDP to solve the incoming calls problem? Tks for your advice.

Any SIP app that is running in the background will significantly affect battery life.

The Acrobits app has a feature that will allow you to use APNS instead of having the app run in the background. Acrobits will maintain registration to voip.ms on their servers, then send you a push notification when you receive an incoming call. Since the iPhone is not maintaining the registration directly, this does not affect battery life much at all. When I have tried this feature lately, it worked pretty well.

The only downside with Acrobits is that it is not optimized for the iPad, but it should work just fine scaled up.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
·igs.net
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to chagae

UDP ports don't stay open very long when you're behind a firewall. So to keep them open, the application needs to send dummy packets every few seconds. TCP connections can persist longer and thus require fewer packets. I'm using TCP for all my wireless devices.

I have no idea if voip.ms supports anything other than UDP. If they do, I haven't found how to enable this.

chagae

join:2013-02-28
Sherbrooke, QC
reply to crazyk4952

I have installed Acrobits with the Notification Push selected. I still don't receive calls. Do I have to setup something on the voip.ms service provider account to use APNS?

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

said by chagae:

I have installed Acrobits with the Notification Push selected. I still don't receive calls. Do I have to setup something on the voip.ms service provider account to use APNS?

No, you don't have to set something up with voip.ms for this to work. Are you able to receive calls when Acrobits it is in background mode?

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to JeanInNepean

said by JeanInNepean:

UDP ports don't stay open very long when you're behind a firewall. So to keep them open, the application needs to send dummy packets every few seconds. TCP connections can persist longer and thus require fewer packets. I'm using TCP for all my wireless devices.

I have no idea if voip.ms supports anything other than UDP. If they do, I haven't found how to enable this.

Voip.ms only supports UDP. If you want to get TCP to work with voip.ms, you would have to use some kind of asterisk server of your own.
Expand your moderator at work