join:2012-01-29

1 edit

Internet 2

»www.infowars.com/tech-guru-warns···isaster/ -Infowars
Internet 2

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Heard about this long ago I wouldn't hold it past them to implement something like this but to make it secure in a way they want it they would have to implement a RSA Token style system.

In my opinion a RSA Token style system would be a major Headache as the average person has enough trouble using a computer as it is and throwing in a Token would really confuse and frustrate them

I am preparing a encrypted network among colleuges using a serious of VPNS and I2P connections.

NitPick

@videotron.ca
reply to MJB

How many DSLr forums are you going to paste this in? How many is it now?

And really, who cares. Internet isn't essential. Some guy who makes money flapping his lips in the states is ringing alarm bells? He isn't the first, and won't be the last.

As said above, this stuff isn't anything new.

MJB

it's important

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

The threads are getting deleted.

To save myself the hassle of this one getting deleted: any corporations and public entities already use private networks. There's no need for a second internet, private networks serve the purpose of separating networks from the public internet.

Would simply need to see more crucial services moved onto private networks but they are insanely costly.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to MJB

Internet 2 has been around for years.They already have 3 up and running on gigabit

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to MJB

If you're going to post a link, link it to wired

»www.wired.com/business/2013/02/t···-plan-b/

Less traffic to that Alex Jones site, the better.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to MJB

Internet2 was founded in 1996, so it's basically almost as old as what we'd consider the modern internet itself: Netscape Navigator was only released a year and a half earlier, and I'd argue that what we've defined as "the internet" for the better part of the past 20 years has been mostly the world wide web. That's changed increasingly as time goes on, but still today so much of what we do on the net ties into the world wide web.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MJB

.... internet 2 is more about regulation of the internet. no more anonymous actions on the web. having a internet id.. a driver license to get on the internet... and censorship.. executive orders already exist to shut off the net.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to MJB

WTF is all I can say. And RSA token? hell no. I'd never accept that. Just more annoyance having to login each time than anything.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
reply to Dones

said by Dones:

If you're going to post a link, link it to wired

»www.wired.com/business/2013/02/t···-plan-b/

Less traffic to that Alex Jones site, the better.

Agreed. That dude is all about conspiracy theories and fear mongering.

DanteX

reply to mlerner

I agree with you and I work in IT for a Global company and we use RSA tokens as part of our everyday work and it gets tedious to log into center Administration portals and to connect to WIFI as well. The Average user will be complaining quiet a bit to their ISP not understanding the process or trying to many times with the wrong PIN and getting locked out and having to have their Token reset into new PIN mode.

If the day comes for high regulation of the Internet we should all be prepared to form our own network of sorts via technologies such as I2P

DanteX

reply to cybersaga

Alex Jones comes off as a shock jock at times but other times he makes sense. Re,member this Conspiracy theories are sometimes true and all these rumors and theories that go around are just pieces of a puzzle that make you think and try to make sense of certain things that happen in our world. Just have to have a open mind and common sense.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MJB

said by MJB:

.... internet 2 is more about regulation of the internet. no more anonymous actions on the web. having a internet id.. a driver license to get on the internet... and censorship.. executive orders already exist to shut off the net.

No, Internet 2 is an education and research network that is basically the US equivalent of RISQ or CANARIE. Stop misusing the term.
--

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to MJB

The whole design of the Internet, going back to the DARPA-Net days, is that it's meshed, and resilient against attacks through the nature of it's distributed architecture...

Building a separate overlay network would be nearly impossible, and certainly impractical.

Hardened VPNs and PtP tunnels, as well as PLS circuits go a long way to keeping essential services working; and is the way most serious companies and agencies handle things already.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MJB

You don't need an overlay network. The internet is mostly made up of a few very large private networks that cover a great geographic distance. What we think of as the internet is largely driven by the rules that govern how they interconnect, as well as over-the-top services like DNS. If the large networks decide they want to do their own thing and build a new network, there's not really much the governments could do to stop them short of taking legal action, and so long as the new network (which would use the same physical infrastructure) does not involve shutting down the old one, there wouldn't be any legal basis to do that.
--

weales

join:2002-06-30
Hampton, ON
reply to Dones

He has his flaws (like any human) but the dude brings up a lot of relative topics that are worth looking into on your own.

This whole labeling of crackpot because someone brings up subject matters that urk most people really has to stop.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MJB

Well, if the crackpot article that MJB linked to (and there is little else it could be described as) is representative of the typical articles on that site, I'd say the criticism is justified. Because this article reads like the rantings of a deluded and paranoid conspiracy theorist.
--

Shredda

join:2008-10-28
London, ON
reply to MJB

Alex Jones is a modern-day Nostradamus. If you come up with hundreds of off-the-wall and over-the-top predictions/conspiracies, one or two are bound to happen.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to weales

If your flaws outweigh your positive traits, then you must be doing something wrong.

I'll just leave this here...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=drFbCSk8Za4