All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to InvalidError

to InvalidError

Re: With the new CBB decision, APOI is a long way away.

Well the OP is right that the extended deadline for migrating to APOI is a long way away, considering the new speed tiers on Rogers' network came out in what, November/December? People waited til February to see if the CRTC would force Rogers to offer those speeds on APOI, the CRTC didn't be budge. So then it became a wait time from somewhere between bring til November, now it's still March of 2014, 1.5 years after the new tiers came online. And over a year from now, Rogers could increase the speed again by then.

I don't believe TSI will wait til the new deadline, and I hope they don't, that'd be pushing the loyalty of many of their customers a bit too much, at least for me it would. I'll accept the inevitable price incrases on APOI costs than wait a full year for faster speeds, that already available.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by TypeS:

Well the OP is right that the extended deadline for migrating to APOI is a long way away

While a whole year may seem like a long time to average people, it is a rather short term compared to the 3-5 years it takes to resolve regulatory disputes.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Well the OP is right that the extended deadline for migrating to APOI is a long way away, considering the new speed tiers on Rogers' network came out in what, November/December? People waited til February to see if the CRTC would force Rogers to offer those speeds on APOI, the CRTC didn't be budge. So then it became a wait time from somewhere between bring til November, now it's still March of 2014, 1.5 years after the new tiers came online. And over a year from now, Rogers could increase the speed again by then.

I don't believe TSI will wait til the new deadline, and I hope they don't, that'd be pushing the loyalty of many of their customers a bit too much, at least for me it would. I'll accept the inevitable price incrases on APOI costs than wait a full year for faster speeds, that already available.

Higher upstream actually came out in November 2011.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by resa1983:

Higher upstream actually came out in November 2011.

I was actually referring to the upgrade on the the speed upgrades on Express, Extreme, Extreme Plus, and Ultimate which became 25/2, 35/3, 45/4, and 150/10. 35/3 is the same as TekSavvy's 28/1, except that Rogers is denyig it on the out-going POI TPIA customers.
said by bdoyledimou:

bottom line is, at least on Cable -- Rogers has the better plan and offers right now. it will literally reduce my bill by $3 a month to get higher download AND upload speeds, with a provider who is actually accountable to me as the customer to fix issues (and this includes the unlimited).

TSI Extreme 28/1 (35/3 after Migration): $46.99 with 300GB Usage
TSI Extreme with Unlimited: $61.95

Rogers Extreme 35/3: $61.99 with 120GB Usage
Rogers Extreme with Unlimited: $91.99

You're bill will increase by $30 with Rogers with Unlimited Extreme service, I doubt they will give you a 50% discount on internet service alone.

If you bundle services, thats no longer an apples to apples comparison now. You can get VoIP service including unlimited long distance to 30+ countries for as little as $20~30 from various companies as well. Bundling defeats the purpose of value too, you're now paying for 3 services (all save for TV that you could get cheaper else where) just to say you have discounted internet.

Rogers will have tighter turn around times for resolving technical issues, that might be worth the extra $30 to some.
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou

I am one of the honest peeps who pay Tek for unlimited even though i probably don't need it, except i can't tell because i have no meter to determine if i do or not.

unlimited on Rogers for me would be +$10 (I have cable and home phone and mobile as well) with my bundle discount (20% on all services) i would pay $59 instead of the $62 i pay Tek ($3.00 less) and get faster service (35/3) than my 28/1 and when i get 10/1 i can call and complain.

Even is i was paying $70 for the faster speeds and unlimited it would be worth it for accountability sake alone -- i hate paying fuill price for half of a service, and Tek has not ONCE offered to make that up to me.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

And what is the total cost of the entire bundle every month? It's going to be much higher than one service from TekSavvy. I can see some value in their home phone service (for some, definitely not for me since they no long distance offering) but cable TV service is definitely lacking in value. I remember watching at most 25% of channels I was being forced to pay for and only watching a few hours a day.

That tripple play bundle seems to have a lot less value do it than offerings from TPIAs and VoIP providers.

koolin
join:2005-12-20
Canada

koolin to TypeS

to TypeS
35/3 with 300GB will NOT be $46.99 on APOI, it will be considerably higher. Unlimited might not even exist.

bdoyledimou already had TV and home phone so how is it fair comparing the entire bundle to one service from teksavvy. Lets compare his total cost per month with 3 services from Rogers to 2 services from Rogers + internet from teksavvy. If its just like what I switched to, its the same monthly cost for so much more (faster speeds, better service and unlimited). You don't even need triple play to get the discounts.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

I am not comparing the entire bundle but the total costs. He's trying to put forth TekSavvy has lost its value but getting the cheaper price at the competitor is based on certain conditions. And as I said, there are many, many customers who don't pay for cable anymore. It is the least valuable service Rogers has too offer. And yes you can get discounts without Tripple play but it will be as big as with Tripple play and never make them cheap enough to compete with TPIA prices.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by TypeS:

And as I said, there are many, many customers who don't pay for cable anymore.

The raw numbers may seem high, but it estimated that only about 8% of Canadian households don't have paid TV service. That's not a big slice of the market.
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to koolin

to koolin
exactly -- you get it -- i HAVE services already (the wife wont let me ditch them -- they will stay) Rogers was more costly for me when paying for extreme plus overages -- i moved to Tek 2 years ago -- for both support of the little guy as well as value for the money. NOW there is just support for the little guy -- my biggest concern is that i spent 18 of those 24 months getting half the speed i was paying for due to over selling the poi -- Markham wasn't "fixed" until Nov 2012 -- and now it's starting to struggle again --- is it a gamble i am willing to take? I guess i have until March 31 to decide that.