CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: I love how people think they will save money.

Do you think the content providers aren't going to do the exact same thing if Cablevision wins? It is impossible for the cable companies to look good here... they are trying to play both sides of the same coin and whining because someone won't cooperate.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

Do you think the content providers aren't going to do the exact same thing if Cablevision wins? It is impossible for the cable companies to look good here... they are trying to play both sides of the same coin and whining because someone won't cooperate.

You don't get it. The cable companies CAN'T do ala carte if they wanted too. Viacom is not going to let you sell Comedy Central but then not include some of their other lesser viewed channels. pay TV companies have no choice but to offer ALL or NONE. And if a company says no the viewers flock to other TV providers that say YES. Look at what happened to Dish when they removed AMC. The same customers that demanded they stand up to the content companies rate hikes fled as soon as the missed an episode of The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad or Mad Men.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

They certainly could offer ala carte Viacom, Scripps, Disney, etc. packages, but that was not my point. I think we can agree that cable companies would raise rates if they could offer ala carte and people only ordered 5 or 6 channels. People would bitch that one person pays $6.99 for a channel while someone with more channels only pays .99 for the same channel but cable companies would think that is perfectly legitimate. Now what will happen if Cablevision wins the lawsuit and content providers cannot force cable companies to buy/broadcast thee bundle? The content providers will simply raise the rates of the channels the cable companies DO want. They could even offer the unbundled channel for one price and the whole package for a lower price. Do you think that would be legitimate? How do you think the cable companies would feel about it?

The simple fact is that (with some exceptions) cable companies are middle men. They are out of line trying to force the terms on both sides of the exchange. If they aren't careful, they may soon find that the middle man is easy enough to cut out; Internet enabled TVs and fast connections make that an ever increasing possibility.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

And that is exactly how it should be. Let them offer their channels at a price the cable companies are willing to pay based on the price customers are willing to pay.

If they want to sell a channel (say ESPN) for $10 per subscriber to the cable companies and then the cable companies want to turn around and sell it for $15 a month then so be it. If consumers want it and find value for it they will subscribe. If not, then the cable companies will back off the price and if that still is not enough they will then tell whomever to stick it, their channel is not worth $10 a month per subscriber and the cycle will continue. AS IT SHOULD.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Well, that's just crazy free-market talk! Cable companies don't really want that