Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cashcrunch

@speakeasy.net
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Status of things

Hey Marc

I'm wondering if you can give us even the smallest hint of what the price changes will look like for Bell and Rogers. I'm sure you know already but cable 28 with 300gb costs more than going with rogers for more speed and similar bandwidth--not the retail rates but the deals they're making anyone who calls. The other thread alludes to cable prices going up, and I'm sure everyone wants more speed but, most really can't afford rate increases. At this point anything is helpful even if it's a vague estimate.

Will we see lower rates for vdsl or will they be subsidizing cable subscribers?

I really want to keep supporting tek but, I (and I assume many others) need a little direction and a lot of notice if prices have to go up.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Marc

Looking forward to whatever you've got planned for Bell VDSL...

Hoping for a price break on non unlimited and a modem option other than the bell provided garbage.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

comminus

join:2012-12-18
Langley, BC
reply to TSI Marc

Well, hopefully the price increase won't be too painful... I don't know that I could stomach going back to either local incumbent. Both Telus and Shaw increased their customer rates and slashed bandwidth caps over the last year - which is specifically why I sought out an alternative.

Having access to an unlimited bandwidth plan is the primary reason I came to TekSavvy a month ago. I make my living building and managing web applications and related infrastructure. Not having to check my usage every week has been a huge relief. What I'm saying is that it would be easier to stomach a rate increase than in would losing the unlimited perk (say it ain't so, Marc!)

I don't imagine Bradley Shaw or Darren Entwistle would bother spending their time on a forum directly communicating with their respective customers so thank you for your time, Marc; your transparency and candor is sincerely appreciated and is a major contributing factor in my continued patronage.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to TSI Marc

^^ Excellent post and absolutely agree.

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Any news on the higher Bell tiers in Ontario? Possibly getting 50/10?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by afterburn999:

Any news on the higher Bell tiers in Ontario? Possibly getting 50/10?

IIRC, they said they wanted to sort out the retail VDSL2 modem thing before worrying about 50/10. Makes sense if they want to avoid forcing rental modems on everyone who may be switching from cable to DSL due to CBB rates when they are only weeks away (should be days now) from clearing the last details.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

Their stock markets should have the largest crash on record very soon.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Thanks for the "health check" Marc. We appreciate the update even if it's missing the meat of the story. I'd rather wait a few more weeks for you to get the offers right, your systems and staff prepared, and your overall new strategy in place. That WILL be worth waiting for and we do so with baited breath.

RandalIT

join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Marc

Thanks for the update Marc.

Much appreciated.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by GreenEnvy22:

Hi Marc,
Any feelings on Bell Business DSL side?
Currently on 25/7 @ $109.
Am I right that the business side may drop as a result of these changes since Bell can't charge you more for it?
Will Business likely be continue to be unlimited? We do a lot of traffic (like 50-100GB a night synchronizing our SAN's between offices), but it's all between midnight and 6am.
Might be able to convince the boss do to MLPPP with dual 25/7's

Oh, and likelyhood of those 25/7's becoming 25/10 to match residential soon?

All good questions. I've gotten the ball rolling internally but haven't set any timelines yet.. We'll be looking to offer business voice services also.

Awesome. Looking to switch my company over from 6mbps on bell for $80/month, to pretty much anything better for about the same price on TSI VDSL.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Gord

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

When you say "business voice services" do you mean pots or voip?

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

The Pope retired today..!?

Yup, he's gone from wearing a robe everyday to living in a robe every day.
--
BHell... A Public Futility.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gord

said by Gord :

When you say "business voice services" do you mean pots or voip?

One would think POTS since no business in their right mind would rely all their external calling solely on a SIP trunk through the internet.

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

Well most large companies and organizations have already switched to VoIP instead of the traditional POTS PBXs...

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

well thanks for updating what you can. I'm looking forward to the cable prices as rogers prices are a joke for what you get from them and I'm tiring to pick what I want to do till hopefully I can get tek when you guys change POI and I hope by then you can still offer unlimited cable internet.

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Damn I just went with Cogeco 30/2 Unlimited, I know I'll have to head back to DSL at some point, what a waste

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to Scycotic

said by Scycotic:

Well most large companies and organizations have already switched to VoIP instead of the traditional POTS PBXs...

That's exactly what's happening... POTS is slowly becoming obsolete. It's smart to have backups, as most businesses would have, but most businesses use VoIP, as they can do much more for much less.

mike0z

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

for those of us who are stuck with plain old DSL 6, with no VDSL available to us, will there be an option of bumping from say a 6 mb to 8 or 10 on the old system? i know i was once on an 8mb profile but that got knocked back to 5 a few years ago. would be nice to get a few extra mb's out of this aging technology...

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

No.Thats up to bell and they dont want to do that.

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
reply to TSI Marc

Marc, some feedback from my end, so you have a better idea what to do on the DSL/Bell/QC side. I have DSL16/300/dry-loop/MLPPP @65$ tax in. I'd be very happy with a 5-10$ price drop. If not, then I'll take the removal of dry-loop fee ($7.25). If not, then I'll take free MLPPP/static IP/newsgroups ($4). I'll even compromise and abandon the grandfathered 16Mbps, and take the 15Mbps instead. Other than that, I'll take added value too, but it's already pretty much what I want out of the service, so any added value at the same price is unnecessary for me.

You could poll your DSL/QC customers to see what they think about these and other ideas you have in mind.
--
My blog. Wanna Git My Ball on Blogspot.

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

US economy may crash tomorrow?

Thanks a lot, going on your advice you just cost me half my portfolio today!!

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

On the Rogers side, we continue to press for a timeline to migrate to aggregated as soon as we can. Still no news to report unfortunately. In general, we are trying to migrate everybody quickly since I know many are keen to get the higher speeds.

Sounds like you guys won't take the 6 months additional time allocated for making the switch? It's a double edged sword now really....higher speeds vs higher costs...I personally want the higher speeds without thinking twice but I am not sure everything agrees...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

said by d4m1r:

said by TSI Marc:

On the Rogers side, we continue to press for a timeline to migrate to aggregated as soon as we can. Still no news to report unfortunately. In general, we are trying to migrate everybody quickly since I know many are keen to get the higher speeds.

Sounds like you guys won't take the 6 months additional time allocated for making the switch? It's a double edged sword now really....higher speeds vs higher costs...I personally want the higher speeds without thinking twice but I am not sure everything agrees...

Sorry I haven't been around lately.... but what happened about the speed matching decision? Denied till tek goes with aggregated?
--
Hello

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13

yes.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

It was ultimately denied.

With the interim decision, the commission did note that Rogers wasn't clear what speeds Rogers was offering TPIA (upstream mainly), and ordered that Rogers refile their TN28-30 tariff pages stating upload speeds within 30 days of the Jan interim speedmatching decision - which is today - stating the upstream speeds of all the packages tariffed.

So, by today they'll file that they offer 45/4 to TPIA.

»webcache.googleusercontent.com/s···nk&gl=ca

The final speedmatching decision came out with the CBB decision, and the commission ordered all incumbents to file any and all 'optional' speeds at the retail level, and whether these optional speeds are available to TPIA by March 7th, at which point they'll file they offer their own customers 45/7.

»webcache.googleusercontent.com/s···nk&gl=ca

CRTC's site is down for maintenance, hense the google cache links.
--

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

Rogers did file the upload tariff yesterday

downloadRogers Revis··· 98B.pdf 40112 bytes
Upload speeds

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

said by andyb:

Rogers did file the upload tariff yesterday
[att=1]

Yeah, they did.. Looks as though we will be grandfathering some speeds after all, we won't have a choice. The speed increases don't happen automatically and on the 28meg speed it even has a price increase.

Technically, we're still looking into this but at first glance it looks like D2 modems won't work on the upgraded speeds at all either. Not cool.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Any clue as to what the future holds for qc 30meg cable customers..??

Will some sort of relief be available for those who may prefer to jump over to dsl...??

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Oh well.. Looks like I'll be filing something after Rogers files their 45/7 package for their own services come the 7th.
--

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Technically, we're still looking into this but at first glance it looks like D2 modems won't work on the upgraded speeds at all either. Not cool.

Considering how much of a nightmare high speeds on D2 can be in heavily loaded nodes, I would say ditching D2 on higher-end tiers is the most logical choice.