spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fuc847

join:2005-02-28

Possible to have 2 modems (V1000h) on 1 account?

my current setup that TELUS installed for me is an optic fiber modem (white) -> actiontec v1000h.

i have a friend who has an extra v1000h, can I simply hook it up to a second LAN port of the optic fiber modem and expect it to provide a second internet signal...?

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada

Why would you want to do that?
If you want more ethernet connections, just get an ethernet splitter.
As for wireless, you can connect as many devices as you would like.

fuc847

join:2005-02-28

thanks. though say i still want to try it, woudl it work? do i have to register the device somehow?

does telus only allow a certain router (MAC address?) to be used?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

It would work, but the bandwidth would be shared between the two routers. Each router would have it's own IP address. It's not really a modem in your case if you have an ONT.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

royal signal

join:2009-01-22
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to fuc847

no it wont work, only port one on the ont (white box is active) what you can do is:- from port one of the ont go to a switch (not a hub) then from a port on your switch run a cat 5 to the white port on the actiontech (just like the first one is installed) great for if you want to extend out the range of wireless, the only issue will be that you will have 2 different wireless network names

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

1 edit
reply to Tornado15550

said by Tornado15550:

Why would you want to do that?
If you want more ethernet connections, just get an ethernet splitter.
As for wireless, you can connect as many devices as you would like.

All the splitter does is allow 2 ports to share one cable, 2 / 4 pairs to each port. It requires another splitter at the other end otherwise the switch on the other end is going to get very confused.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to fuc847

You can have 2 on one.

Disable the DHCP server on the second one, And plug the LAN port on Router 1, into a Lan port on Router 2. This essentially makes it a switch. You can turn on wireless, or turn it off... It'll get IP's from the first router. All comps can see eachother, ect.

You wont double your speed, if thats what your hoping to achieve, You will double your LAn ports, and if you're extending wireless Via a long Cat5, that would also work.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

That's not what he's asking. Even if he was you'd be better off just buying a cheap gigabit switch, you can get an 8 port that would work fine for $15 these days.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to royal signal

said by royal signal:

no it wont work, only port one on the ont (white box is active)

Didn't know this! Thanks for that
--
The more I C, the less I see.