Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

[Hardware] Extraordinarily Short Battery Life

So I bought a used Galaxy Nexus last year, and the battery was fine for quite a while. However, within the past month I barely get a day out of the battery, with the phone sitting idle doing nothing! I pulled it off the charger at 10:50 this morning, 83% by 1:00, and it's dead by 9PM tonight. I haven't made a phone call, sent a text, or even turned the screen on more than once today (just to check the time). None of the setting have changed from what they were earlier this year (although I did move from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2).

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Any new apps, or updated apps?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
All of them are updated whenever updates come up, but nothing new. I have a tendency to close running apps, so the "recent apps" pane is empty.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
I always re-check permissions when updates come out. A lot of them seem to ask more and more. They may be 'phoning home' more often. You may also want to check to see if any of them have re-enabled themselves in 'All'.

I generally don't update unless there has been a problem with the app.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Well, the battery has charged 1% a minute, if you believe that. The top three users are phone idle (9hr, 43min, 47s), screen (17min), and cell standby (10h, 0m, 49s) at 29%, 27%, and 13%.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to sk1939
Batteries sometimes get old and won't hold a charge well. It might need to be replaced.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by beck:

Batteries sometimes get old and won't hold a charge well. It might need to be replaced.

Quite possible...can I still order them from Samsung?

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

1 recommendation

Amazon is a great place to get them.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by skj:

Amazon is a great place to get them.

Absolutely! My wife and I have GS IIs, and found OEM Samsung batteries at a much better price.
--
Deeds, not words

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to sk1939
Could be several things... running an app that calls up data a lot, excessive syncing times, battery not calibrated correctly, battery not charging correctly.

Try this... take the battery down to single digit charge. Pull it for a few minutes and put it back in. Charge for several hours with the phone off. See of that helps. You can also install and run an app called Battery Monitor to get a much better idea on the charge going to the battery.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to sk1939
You may want to install Battery Monitor Widget. It will show you battery status (voltage, current, percentage, etc).
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to sk1939
I get all of my phone accessories from »www.wirelessground.com/, should you decide to buy a new battery.

It looks like this is the OEM battery »www.wirelessground.com/samsung-e···ery.html and I usually just Google for a coupon code. It looks like the code "freeship" should get you free shipping.

Note: No, I'm not affiliated with the site, I just happen to think they have great prices. I will never again pay AT&T $30 for a car charger.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to OZO
The widget tells me my battery goes down around 8.5% an hour. Is this typical for standby usage?

OZO
Premium
Watch for stats for a day or too. If it's always 8.5% an hour, it's not good. It means it'll be out of juice in 10-11 hours...
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by OZO:

Watch for stats for a day or too. If it's always 8.5% an hour, it's not good. It means it'll be out of juice in 10-11 hours...

Its up to 10% an hour now.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
Your battery is effectively "dead". It sounds like you charge it overnight (6+ hours). That's probably the culprit.... The link SandMan gave has an OEM battery for $20. I'm skeptical about non-OEM batteries, especially the sub-$10 ones off of eBay (I've gotten what I'm convinced were 'used') but couldn't prove it. Put it this way: They lasted less time than the dying battery I bought it to replace !

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
You can get it for less through Amazon:

»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_···+battery
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Your battery is effectively "dead". It sounds like you charge it overnight (6+ hours). That's probably the culprit.... The link SandMan gave has an OEM battery for $20. I'm skeptical about non-OEM batteries, especially the sub-$10 ones off of eBay (I've gotten what I'm convinced were 'used') but couldn't prove it. Put it this way: They lasted less time than the dying battery I bought it to replace !

Your not supposed to charge it overnight? I can't use a non-OEM battery in this phone anyways, because the NFC function resides in the battery.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
You can charge it overnight, but as Hall See Profile noted, your battery is probably dead. You need to look into getting another one. If you were interested in a non-OEM battery, there are some that also have the NFC function. The non-OEM batteries do, however, vary in quality.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Unless you have a smart charger, I wouldn't charge it any longer than necessary. Personally, I think it's by design that they stopped providing smart chargers.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
I have been leaving mine in to charge all night and have not had any issues with the battery because of it.
--

OZO
Premium
That's because charging stops when battery is full. Then, even phone is still connected to charger, the battery is slowly discharging until it reaches about 85-90%. Then it starts charging again...

It's easy to see, if you look at logs, collected by "Battery Monitor Widget", mentioned in my earlier post.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to sk1939
18% an hour now with 14% left on the battery. New battery on order.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
I hope you 'train' this one. I'll bet it lasts longer.

I tend not to recharge my devices until they hit 3-4%. It helps a lot for battery life.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
reply to sk1939
See the discussion here.

Worth checking to see if you might have an app that's causing any excessive drain.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
I don't know how old the battery is. It's the battery that came with the phone and supposedly has "little use", still.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

I hope you 'train' this one. I'll bet it lasts longer.

I tend not to recharge my devices until they hit 3-4%. It helps a lot for battery life.

I wait till I get the "low battery" alert at 14%, not super early I would claim.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Go under 10% if you can.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

That's because charging stops when battery is full. Then, even phone is still connected to charger, the battery is slowly discharging until it reaches about 85-90%. Then it starts charging again...

And that's what I've been told is bad for batteries. In the end, if you ask ten different people about how to charge a phone's battery, you'll get ten different answers.

OZO
Premium
That's why we need to use tools. To see the real picture
--