how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DJboutit

join:2009-12-10
Houston, TX

Comcast Punishes BitTorrent Pirates With Browser Hijack

Comcast revealed today how it will deal with customers who receive multiple warnings under the newly launched “six-strikes” anti-piracy system. After four alerts the ISP will “hijack” web-browsers of suspected serial pirates with a persistent pop-up notification, making it impossible to browse the Internet. The pop-up will disappear after the customer “resolves the issue” with a Customer Security Assurance professional.

Full story

»torrentfreak.com/comcast-punishe···-130227/

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

Don't download and share copyrighted material... No big deal !
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

Exactly!

Shinrin

join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL
reply to DJboutit
Well i haven't used Bit Torrent in a while now, thanks to my job. So I hope i don't get an email saying I downloaded a song illegally or what not. Of course that doesn't mean that we won't get an email with a false positive or something.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DJboutit
Torrentfreak has a specific audience they speak to, revealed in the ending paragraphs of the story...
"A group that wont be happy with the new regime is the Open Wireless Movement. The tens of thousands of people who share their Internet connection with neighbors or complete strangers will no longer be able to do so." That is, the people who don't believe THEY should pay for anything.
Every ISP restricts 'Sharing' your connection with "tens of thousands of people ", because they spent tens of millions of dollars to reach your neighborhood with the understanding that EACH person/home would help repay part of that cost.
That is theft!

IP owners had the same thought when the raise money/invested in the content you illegally download.
When you steal(take/use without paying) their content you are taking away funding/paychecks for the people making the next movie/ album and eventually (starting to see it now) investor won't front the money.
i.e. No new broadband, no new money into movies/recordings.

This is just one of the effects.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to ExoticFish
Glad they are starting to do something about stealing copyrighted material.
It's about time. To me the 6 strike thing is way too lenient, it should be like baseball, three strikes and your out.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to DJboutit
said by DJboutit:

The pop-up will disappear after the customer “resolves the issue” with a Customer Security Assurance professional.

This "resolution" requires an admission of piracy. Because CAS does not explicitly preempt further legal action by the injured party, this admission may lead to a subpoena, and lawsuit for copyright violation. How well this would work for the complainant I don't know; admission under duress might be a defense. OTOH, this would just be a civil tort. It would cost the defendant considerably more than $35, even if resolved in defendant's favor.

The best advice is: Don't pirate copyright material. If you continue, and get caught up in litigation, right or wrong, it could prove costly.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Solomon87

join:2002-12-18
Chicago, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Man oh man, look at all of the MPAA and RIAA apologists posting up in this thread. IT IS NEVER OK TO HIJACK YOUR PC, NOT EVEN FOR DOWNLOADING!

Solomon87

Chicago, IL
reply to NormanS
Man oh man, look at all the brown nosing MPAA AND RIAA apologists in this thread. IT IS NEVER OK TO HIJACK SOMEONES PC/BROWSER ya retards.

Solomon87

Chicago, IL
reply to NormanS
LUlz, RIAA and MPAA aplogists up in this thread.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to DJboutit
said by DJboutit:

Comcast revealed today how it will deal with customers who receive multiple warnings under the newly launched “six-strikes” anti-piracy system. After four alerts the ISP will “hijack” web-browsers of suspected serial pirates with a persistent pop-up notification, making it impossible to browse the Internet. The pop-up will disappear after the customer “resolves the issue” with a Customer Security Assurance professional.

Full story

»torrentfreak.com/comcast-punishe···-130227/

Note that this doesn't have anything SPECIFICALLY to do with the method used for piracy. So please do keep using bittorrent for any and all legal downloading. And avoid piracy, because it's illegal.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Solomon87
said by Solomon87:

Man oh man, look at all of the MPAA and RIAA apologists posting up in this thread. IT IS NEVER OK TO HIJACK YOUR PC, NOT EVEN FOR DOWNLOADING!

They don't touch your PC. They control the pipe your PC is connected to. You violate the TOS/AUP (and the law) and they connect your end of the pipe to their walled garden.

Technology. Not magic.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Solomon87
said by Solomon87:

Nobody is hijacking anyone's computer. The internet connection is not your computer. The ISP is in effect protecting themselves against your illegal activity using their service.

I have no issue whatsoever if you consider the RIAA and MPAA to be organizations that you have a beef with...although I would wager that your only real complaint is that they expect you to pay money in order to obtain and enjoy media that they have a legal right to rent/sell. If you disagree with that, then fine, get off your butt and get the laws changed.

Personally, I have neither any friends, nor any enemies who work for either organization. If I want to view/purchase a song or movie to enjoy, my decision is based on how much do I want this song or movie, and is the price worth paying?

Do you obtain your clothing the same way? "Hmmm, I like this coat...but I hate the Banana Republic...so I am justified in stealing it"

The simple truth is that people steal on the internet, becasue it is so easy and thieves who are not bold enough to shoplift, feel safe in doing so on line.

Just because it is easy to steal on the internet, does not justify doing so.
--
Deeds, not words

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

reply to Solomon87
said by Solomon87:

said by Solomon87:

Man oh man, look at all the brown nosing MPAA AND RIAA apologists in this thread. IT IS NEVER OK TO HIJACK SOMEONES PC/BROWSER ya retards.

said by Solomon87:

I think you made your point.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Solomon87
said by Solomon87:

I am merely looking beyond the sixth strike, and the fact that CAS does not preclude legal action by the MAFIAA. If you want to push your luck with the legal system, be my guest. CAS is not a problem for me because my ISP is not participating.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Solomon87
A Walled Garden is not a browser hijack, nor even a PC hijack. It might be considered a "connection hijack"; but your provider's AUP/ToS generally allows them to modify the service THEY provide to mitigate abuse of the Internet from their customers.
--
Norman

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Torrentfreak has a specific audience they speak to, revealed in the ending paragraphs of the story...
"A group that wont be happy with the new regime is the Open Wireless Movement. The tens of thousands of people who share their Internet connection with neighbors or complete strangers will no longer be able to do so." That is, the people who don't believe THEY should pay for anything.
Every ISP restricts 'Sharing' your connection with "tens of thousands of people ", because they spent tens of millions of dollars to reach your neighborhood with the understanding that EACH person/home would help repay part of that cost.
That is theft!

IP owners had the same thought when the raise money/invested in the content you illegally download.
When you steal(take/use without paying) their content you are taking away funding/paychecks for the people making the next movie/ album and eventually (starting to see it now) investor won't front the money.
i.e. No new broadband, no new money into movies/recordings.

This is just one of the effects.

Theft is theft, correct.

Sharing your internet connection is not theft, it's perhaps a violation of your ISP's acceptable use policy.
--
PRescott7-2097

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to DJboutit
When they pry my VPN from my cold, dead hands... well, you know what I mean...
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1