join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

Internet only, free modem now?

Is AT&T now providing a free modem under some or all circumstances for internet-only or internet with phone service?

As a former UVerse customer I get a mailing about once a week with the same old offers, but since my TW promo ends next month I called the # in a recent mailing.

I called 877-677-0343 and I still have AT&T POTS, so that was our starting point ... AT&T would apparently like me to get rid of my POTS line.

They offered me 12 Mbps VDSL internet plus VDSL phone, $54.95 monthly for 12 months. (Roughly $58 including taxes, etc. or so he said. )

I told him I already had a 3600 modem from when I was a customer before, and he said it didn't matter as they were now shipping the modem free. (It has acceptable firmware based on info elsewhere on this site.)

I told him I wanted to keep the POTS line so he gave me the 12-month promo rates for these tiers ...
$29.95 for 3 Mbps
$34.95 for 6 Mbps
$39.95 for 12 Mbps without phone

And I asked if I could use my 3600 with those too. Again, he said it didn't matter, the modem would go out at no charge. I hadn't heard that since I was told that erroneously when I signed up a couple of years ago, and they gave me a bill credit for the $100 when I called intending to cancel the order.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
said by ArgMeMatey:

I hadn't heard that since I was told that erroneously when I signed up a couple of years ago

You answered your own question.

AFAIK, currently you have to either a) buy it upfront or b) rent it for $2/mo. The guy was probably right - the one they are going to send you you don't buy upfront, they rent it to you for $2/mo.

/M

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
reply to ArgMeMatey
if you sign up and they ship you the modem, you can try your old one and if it syncs up fine you could send the new one back for credit but that would be your choice

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mackey
said by mackey:

currently you have to either a) buy it upfront or b) rent it for $2/mo. The guy was probably right - the one they are going to send you you don't buy upfront, they rent it to you for $2/mo.

Thanks for bringing that up. I forgot to mention that I specifically asked about modem rental fees on both options, and he told me there is NO rental fee on the modem they would ship. And no $100 fee.

After my last experience, if I go ahead with them, you can rest assured that I will repeat this question at least two or three times to make sure it's on the record.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
reply to ArgMeMatey
That sounds like a common sales tactic. When he says "free" he really means your going to get billed $100 for the modem and if you keep the service for 30 days and pay off the first bill, you can claim a $100 Visa gift card.
The only way your ever going to get a truly free modem is if you're a current ADSL customer and are being forced to switch to Uverse because the old school DSL is decommissioned.

ipman

join:2010-08-31
San Jose, CA
Yeah, I would not trust any AT&T sales rep. I got burned multiple times. They promise me one thing and giving me another (higher monthly cost, activation fees, etc).

Be prepared to call in multiple times to get your bill fixed. Signing up online (and save the screen shots) is the way to go.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Forosnai
said by Forosnai:

When he says "free" he really means your going to get billed $100 for the modem and if you keep the service for 30 days and pay off the first bill, you can claim a $100 Visa gift card.

I wouldn't have a problem with that but I've never seen anything in writing on this specific rebate deal. I am sure I could put the gift card to use. Also they never mention shipping costs but I think they almost always charge $10-15 for it.

said by ipman:

Be prepared to call in multiple times to get your bill fixed. Signing up online (and save the screen shots) is the way to go.

Done that! But since I have my own 3600 already, I can't sign up online if I want to have a prayer of avoiding the $100 modem fee.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb