spc
uniqs
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to LastDon

to LastDon

Re: So who will be first will Officall prices/ Announcement

Well Looking at Acanac as an example they saved almost 55% on the CBB rate and Instead of Reducing prices for higher tiers are Forcing speed upgrades on Low tiers to eat up the savings so they can Keep prices the same. I believe they are Upping 6 to 10 where possible, 12 to 15, and 15 Mbps Gold users stay as they are until renewal when they will renew as the new silver.. is what i read it as. Seems Like the Higher end users got the shaft to me p:)

I Myself would have Hoped for across the board price drops and Let Users Decide if they want to upgrade rather than have it forced upon them. Would be my personal preference

AGoldSilver
@distributel.net

AGoldSilver

Anon

said by morisato:

Well Looking at Acanac as an example they saved almost 55% on the CBB rate and Instead of Reducing prices for higher tiers are Forcing speed upgrades on Low tiers to eat up the savings so they can Keep prices the same. I believe they are Upping 6 to 10 where possible, 12 to 15, and [bold]15 Mbps Gold users stay as they are until renewal when they will renew as the new silver.. is what i read it as. Seems Like the Higher end users got the shaft to me p:)[/bold]

I Myself would have Hoped for across the board price drops and Let Users Decide if they want to upgrade rather than have it forced upon them. Would be my personal preference

The current Gold Plan will be the new Silver Plan and Paul said there will be and extension at the end of the term.

In Quebec the Gold Plan = 16Mbps will be downgrade to the silver plan 15Mbps. How the extension period will be calculate still not clear? May be Paul can give an example...
quote:
Current gold plans will be converted to Silver and issued an extension based on what is left on the term. The extension has no monetary value.
»community.acanac.com/aca ··· start=60

PickTHEnick
@videotron.ca

PickTHEnick

Anon

said by AGoldSilver :

The current Gold Plan will be the new Silver Plan and Paul said there will be and extension at the end of the term.

What about the suckers or those who can't afford more and are still stuck on the decrepit "upto" 6-meg legacy DSL (average 4-meg or so)? Since they can't upgrade those in speed, is there a price drop of 5$ or so?

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to AGoldSilver

Premium Member

to AGoldSilver
said by AGoldSilver :

said by morisato:

Well Looking at Acanac as an example they saved almost 55% on the CBB rate and Instead of Reducing prices for higher tiers are Forcing speed upgrades on Low tiers to eat up the savings so they can Keep prices the same. I believe they are Upping 6 to 10 where possible, 12 to 15, and [bold]15 Mbps Gold users stay as they are until renewal when they will renew as the new silver.. is what i read it as. Seems Like the Higher end users got the shaft to me p:)[/bold]

In Quebec the Gold Plan = 16Mbps will be downgrade to the silver plan 15Mbps. How the extension period will be calculate still not clear? May be Paul can give an example...
quote:
Current gold plans will be converted to Silver and issued an extension based on what is left on the term. The extension has no monetary value.
»community.acanac.com/aca ··· start=60

If a client has 6 months left on the term and the price difference is for example worth $43 the client would get an extra month of free service added to the end of the term. If it's only worth $21 then only 15 days will be added.
Canaca

Canaca to PickTHEnick

Premium Member

to PickTHEnick
said by PickTHEnick :

said by AGoldSilver :

What about the suckers or those who can't afford more and are still stuck on the decrepit "upto" 6-meg legacy DSL (average 4-meg or so)? Since they can't upgrade those in speed, is there a price drop of 5$ or so?

The Bronze price will remain the same. As soon as the higher speeds become available they will also have the opportunity to upgrade free of charge.

PickTHEnick
@videotron.ca

PickTHEnick

Anon

said by Canaca:

said by PickTHEnick :

said by AGoldSilver :

The Bronze price will remain the same. As soon as the higher speeds become available they will also have the opportunity to upgrade free of charge.

But doesn't the "next upgrade" to this require the ~95$ tech visit and fee? After legacy it's FTTN or whatever. Is Acanac waiving the fee and absorbing it?

Also, who knows when better speeds will be available.

So these people who are punished with low speeds just due to where they live still get to pay that full inflated price?

I don't mean to direct this at you, Paul. I'm directing it at all DSL resellers.

Seems to me that those who are paying ~43$ for decrepit legacy DSL won't see a price change. And the so-called indie's will just continue making them pay inflated costs for this decrepit "up to" legacy service.

I hope at least one, so-called indie, will lower price for these people. Seems they are being left out in the cold.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34 to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

said by PickTHEnick :

In the forum announcement, you said that current Bronze users who cannot get FTTN will be taken off the prime-time limiting... "If your line does not qualify for FTTN Bronze no rate limit will be applied from March 1st on."

But, you didn't mention that above... Is that still true?

HOWEVER... since you say rate-limiting is rarely implemented, those existing 6M users are not really getting ANY value from your reduction in DSL costs.

And what about NEW 6M customers, if they happen to hang around your website and actually try to order? Would they pay the BRONZE price, get 6M, and get "no speed limiting" on their account? Again, that's of no real new value considering the wholesale cost reductions.

It's not like FTTN is going to magically become available everywhere; just look at the state of FTTN here in London!

PickTHEnick
@videotron.ca

PickTHEnick

Anon

said by jasmo34:

said by Canaca:

said by PickTHEnick :

In the forum announcement, you said that current Bronze users who cannot get FTTN will be taken off the prime-time limiting... "If your line does not qualify for FTTN Bronze no rate limit will be applied from March 1st on."

But, you didn't mention that above... Is that still true?

HOWEVER... since you say rate-limiting is rarely implemented, those existing 6M users are not really getting ANY value from your reduction in DSL costs.

And what about NEW 6M customers, if they happen to hang around your website and actually try to order? Would they pay the BRONZE price, get 6M, and get "no speed limiting" on their account? Again, that's of no real new value considering the wholesale cost reductions.

It's not like FTTN is going to magically become available everywhere; just look at the state of FTTN here in London!

+
said by PickTHEnick :

But doesn't the "next upgrade" to this require the ~95$ tech visit and fee? After legacy it's FTTN or whatever. Is Acanac waiving the fee and absorbing it?

Also, who knows when better speeds will be available.

So these people who are punished with low speeds just due to where they live still get to pay that full inflated price?

I don't mean to direct this at you, Paul. I'm directing it at all DSL resellers.

Seems to me that those who are paying ~43$ for decrepit legacy DSL won't see a price change. And the so-called indie's will just continue making them pay inflated costs for this decrepit "up to" legacy service.

I hope at least one, so-called indie, will lower price for these people. Seems they are being left out in the cold.

Ahem.

But let us not just pick on Acanac.

There is also Teksavvy, Ebox, Start, and a multitude of others who are hiding at the moment.
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

1 edit

LanAdmin to Canaca

to Canaca
Acanac Cable Quebec yearly plan

You should consider offering 20Mbps between 10Mbps/40$ and 30Mbps/60$ like Velcom just did. I think it would be very popular.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to PickTHEnick

to PickTHEnick
Not picking on them; I would just like to know what they're doing for 6M Legacy users (including relatives of mine), if anything.

I don't actually object to their speed-limiting plans in prime-time. Not for everyone, but it's good to have choices.

I would GUESS their fee for 6M to FTTN (did theirs used to be $76?) is being waived, since they say those eligible customers will not have to do anything to get the upgrade.

Yes, we will just have to wait and see what the others have to offer. It certainly appears there were some deals from Bell involved, even before the CBB rate changes.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to PickTHEnick

Premium Member

to PickTHEnick
said by PickTHEnick :

+

Not picking on them; I would just like to know what they're doing for 6M Legacy users (including relatives of mine), if anything.

I don't actually object to their speed-limiting plans in prime-time. Not for everyone, but it's good to have choices.

I would GUESS their fee for 6M to FTTN (did theirs used to be $76?) is being waived, since they say those eligible customers will not have to do anything to get the upgrade.

Yes, we will just have to wait and see what the others have to offer. It certainly appears there were some deals from Bell involved, even before the CBB rate changes.

The rate limiting policies will no longer apply to new or existing 6Mbps profiles. (Or lower)

The installation fee is being waved for all 6Mbps to 11Mbps upgrades.

As for the value of the service our 11Mbps/6Mbps plans are already $8-$15 cheaper than some of our competitors 6Mbps unlimited plans. (Depending if they are new or old client.)

We are also one of the few companies that have standardized our DSL pricing across both Ontario and Quebec.

Our upcoming 25Mbps VDSL2 plans starts at $39.95 for the first year promo. I may be mistaken however I believe this the most attractive offering currently on the market.

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

said by Canaca:

Our upcoming 25Mbps VDSL2 plans starts at $39.95 for the first year promo. I may be mistaken however I believe this the most attractive offering currently on the market.

Wow I just witnessed a tsunami in virtual terms, that price is setting a new reference in the industry and I'm loving it.

Bravo for keeping QC/ON pricing the same, I think you could have a new customer soon.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy to Canaca

to Canaca

said by Canaca See Profile

Is it a $99 modem and $50 installation? And the dry loop fee of $8, is that per month or a one time fee?

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

4 edits

BliZZardX to Canaca

Premium Member

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

That sounds great at 1st glance but your $39.95 offer comes with strings attached - 12 month contract. It's still $53.95 regular, not much cheaper than Bell, the same price as Bell if you have dry loop (+$8), and they will probably even beat your price by adding a $5 no-contract loyalty credit. Not everybody needs unlimited, but most people care about price and not being tied up in a contract.
Expand your moderator at work
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

3 edits

LanAdmin to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX

Re: .

Acanac do not have any contract, you can cancel at any time. You will be refund less months used at monthly rate.

Example: for Quebec cable 30Mbps you pay 683.40$ for one year (56.95$ X 12)
If you cancel within the 3rd month your refund will be 495.55$
683.40$ - (62.95$ X 3 = 188.85$) = 495.55$

AcaContract
@distributel.net

AcaContract

Anon

said by LanAdmin:

Acanac do not have any contract, you can cancel at any time. You will be refund less months used at the monthly rate.

It kinda contract like cellphone contract if you cancel you have to pay the early cancellation fee. For Acanac, it is the reduce price term fee... I think it fair.

Sometime, contract works for you like Cable internet, they're planning to increase $3/month. If you sign up 12 months term now, you will be protected by the 12 months term contract and save $3/month for next 12 months compare to sign up monthly term now... So sign up 12 months now before they increase the price lol...
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf to LanAdmin

to LanAdmin

Re: So who will be first will Officall prices/ Announcement

said by LanAdmin:

Acanac Cable Quebec yearly plan

You should consider offering 20Mbps between 10Mbps/40$ and 30Mbps/60$ like Velcom just did. I think it would be very popular.

I definitely see something like 10/1.5mbps for 39.95$/month, 20/10mbps for 49.95$/month and 30/10mbps for 59.95$/month.
zacsaunders
join:2012-05-12

zacsaunders to Canaca

to Canaca
Is Acanac's offer for 25mbps valid for dry loop as well?
How much extra is dry loop?
do we need to rent a modem? - if yes how much extra a month? if no how much to purchase one.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

Acanac doesn't seem to show how much dry loop costs or if it's free. Also they don't say how much it would cost to purchase or rent the modem on their site from what I can see. But they do have unlimited bandwidth which is nice but during peak hours it's cut in half which isn't cool. Also the max speed they're offering as of now is 25mbps. Hopefully they will show this on their main page because It's not cool when companies try to hide important information in small font or on different pages.

Velcom waives the dry loop fee so you won't need to pay for that. The modem costs 130$ if you want to buy it straight up, or pay 8$ month(renting). They don't have an unlimited option but they have up to 400gb which is 46.95$/month. For 25MBPS/10MBPS. Velcom is also selling up to 50MBPS/10MBPS with 400gb bandwidth for 69.95$/month. Any usage occuring between the periods of 2am to 11am EST will NOT be calculated towards your bandwidth allowance. So in essence that time slot gives you unlimited usage! They do not throttle during peak hours.

To me the choice is clear, but others like to have unlimited internet throughout the day. I am not a heavy bandwidth user but I will go with the cheapest price for the fastest internet.

Waiting for Start, Ebox, TSI to roll out their DSL packages who ever looks the best will be getting me as costumer
bridge
join:2008-08-11
Montreal, QC

bridge

@mikee for the modem cost, you have to look at the end of the price list.

For dsl: Pricing and Speed Information.

Cost of DSL Modem is $49.95-Activation fee is $49.95 - You're free to use your own modem.

For cable: Cost of Cable Modem is $75.00 - Huawei MT130U V100R001C01B071 - Activation fee is $49.95 - You're free to use your own modem as long as it's in our list of Approved Cable Modems in Ontario

And at the end of the dsl page you have to click on more to see the dry loop fee:

Note: Naked DSL is only available In Ontario and Quebec. Normally a dry loop fee is $8 per month. Please check with sales for promotional rates.