how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyhuey

join:2001-11-23
Somerville, NJ

slow internet - NJ

I've had Optimum for years, with very few problems. A couple of days ago, I started noticing issues -- streaming audio & video weren't working well, pages were slow to load, etc. (I have the regular Optimum Online service, by the way, not Boost. And I'm located in Somerville NJ.)

Checking my speed on speedtest.net, I'm seeing around 0.25 Mbps download speeds. (I think, previously, it was somewhere around 10 Mbps.) I'm getting similar results on my Mac and my PC, and on both wireless & wired connections. I've reset my router & power-cycled the cable modem.

I have an old Motorola Surfboard modem. (I think I got it in 2001, when I first signed up for Optimum, so it's quite old.) The web interface on the modem looks fine, as far as I can tell. I can post info from the status or signal page if needed.

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router. I don't see anything obvious wrong with it. It's only about a year old.

I tried connecting my MacBook directly to the cable modem, to cut the router out of the loop, but I couldn't get out to the internet after I did that. I could see the modem at »192.168.100.1/ but nothing else. It's been so long since I've had to connect directly to the modem that I can't remember if I need to manually set the IP addrress & gateway & DNS on my laptop or not (and if so, to what). Maybe I'll try to manually connect my PC to the modem tomorrow, and see if I have more luck with that.

In the meantime, if anyone has any helpful hints, please let me know. Thanks!

moe dem

@optonline.net

Get a new modem. Go to the Optimum store in Piscataway and get a new modem. If you purchased your modem in 2001, you can keep it; otherwise you'll have to exchange it.

When switching connections (e.g., router to direct), you have to reboot the modem. Probably wouldn't hurt to reboot the PC, too.

nx3mtmt

join:2010-01-15
Edison, NJ
reply to andyhuey

I was having the same speed problems in June 2012 with the old Surfboard modem.

Called one night for service and they were there the next morning with a Docsis 3 modem.

Now I consistently have 8 - 12 Mbps off the router and 20 - 24 Mbps on a direct modem connection.

andyhuey

join:2001-11-23
Somerville, NJ
reply to andyhuey

My speed got a bit better after a support chat with OO and another router restart. Still not great though. Maybe I should see about getting a new modem...