Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shinrin

join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Connectivity] comcast walled garden keeps popping up randomly.

So we just upgraded our modem to the SB6121 and activated it thought the walled garden. Now we have a problem server the internet and sometimes a website will show and others times the walled garden will show up. We've reset the modem a few times, and we also had chat with comcast online twice about the problem, bot times the restart form them has helped. Anyone else had this problem before when upgrading their modems?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

Re: [Connectivity] comcast walled garden keeps popping up random

You may have to CALL Comcast to verify the modem is in their system correctly. Chat is no help.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Shinrin
Did they ask you for the MAC address when you spoke to them? It's usually listed on the bottom of the modem along with the serial number. Also if you are using a router and/or bridge you should also power those down too and power them on one at a time along with the modem. Hope that helps.

Shinrin

Gadsden, AL
reply to Shinrin
So far after doing the chat and them having us unplug both thing for a minute things seem to be ok with the site I have checked, but not 100% sure if the problem is persisting.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to Shinrin
Tell a phone rep specifically to perform a *roll and reprovision / APT push* of the modem.

Shinrin

Gadsden, AL
reply to Shinrin
yeah, been going to the sites all night after the reset and they've been working. Seems the problem was they didn't have all the information for the modem or something, then we just reset both modem and router and now it's working good now.

KingKuei6

join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA
reply to Shinrin
Sounds like your issue is resolved. But in the future, you can view the modem's built-in status pages by visiting IP address 192.168.100.1

Any odd behavior with walled garden should show up in logs as something similar to "SW INIT..." if the walled garden config file was re-downloaded. Then you can look at log messages around those times to determine if something is happening consistently that causes it.

excc

@charter.com
reply to EG
There are no more modem rolls - The old provisioning "state machine" is dead and buried, thankfully. This can be caused by the modem being in "Landing" state; that state is unknown and undetectable to regular CAE (because its undocumented, and Tier 1 does not have access to the tool that can display/fix it). It is a sort of "limbo" state between "captive portal" (which itself an intermediate state after "walled garden") and "online"

If it recurs, you're probably better off contacting the Comcast Direct group here to get it fixed.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

You may have to CALL Comcast to verify the modem is in their system correctly. Chat is no help.

Absolutely! While I have found Comcast CS over the phone to actually be pretty helpful, I would never recommend their abysmal "on-line chat" system.
--
Deeds, not words

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to KingKuei6
said by KingKuei6:

Any odd behavior with walled garden should show up in logs as something similar to "SW INIT..." if the walled garden config file was re-downloaded.

FWIW, not necessarily.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to excc
said by excc :

There are no more modem rolls - The old provisioning "state machine" is dead and buried, thankfully. .

Are you certain ? Is this everywhere ? Can you back up this statement ? I know for a fact that this advice I offer solves the issue for many posters that I've told it too...

excc

@charter.com
I am certain, it is everywhere. The provisioning "state machine" went away late spring/early summer of 2012 - the new system is simpler and smarter. Modem rolls went away about a month or 2 after that (it could cause loss of dialtone). The whole point of the modem roll procedure was to satisfy the provisioning "state machine" (by tricking it into thinking a modem swap was done) so the CAE could properly provision it, so there's really no need for it anymore anyway.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Shinrin
A lot of times its something with DNS cache that does this becasue the initial walled garden is basically a DNS hijack inside the modem, and once released the cache does not always update correctly. Some times some browser cache also plays into it but a refresh will ususally both get you past this and clear it out so it does not happen on that page again.

Clear dns cache by going to cmd prompt with admin privledges and typing

ipconfig /flushdns

to get elevated privs its easiest to type cmd in the search under start menu then right click the entry and run as admin.

or a diagnose/repair of the network connection depending on which version of windows you have, this will flush dns, arp and one other cache that escapes me.

After that clear your browser cache in the browser tools and that should stop it.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to excc
said by excc :

I am certain, it is everywhere.

Glad that you are "certain"..