Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yami

join:2011-07-25
Lake Worth, FL

[Signals] Would you help me understand if my Cable Modem Signal

Hi

Mu motorola cable modem signal info is as below. I want to know how good is it?
I just used a good splitter to split cable between modem and TV.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 9 10 11 12
Frequency 579000000 Hz 585000000 Hz 591000000 Hz 597000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 32 dB 31 dB 31 dB 32 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level -16 dBmV -17 dBmV -18 dBmV -15 dBmV

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 34800000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 2798
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level 57 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
Ranging Status Success

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 9 10 11 12
Total Unerrored Codewords 1530693005 1529787045 1529778495 1529789498
Total Correctable Codewords 218 2353 11169 79
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 995 898 780 1004

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2

Re: [Signals] Would you help me understand if my Cable Modem Sig

Your Downstream and upstream signal levels are horrible. I am surprised you are on line. check here:
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to yami

Are you asking this question because you are having a connection reliability problem? If not, then (as jaynick already pointed out) it is amazing that you are not having problems.

I would suggest that you make sure that all of your coax connectors are tight, and that there are no sharp bends or kinks (or crushed areas) in any visible coax cables. Next I would bypass the "good splitter" by connecting your modem directly to the first wall jack (or whatever demarc is used in your residence) just to make sure that you don't need a "better splitter".
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

yami

Lake Worth, FL

2 edits
reply to yami

Thanks for reply. In fact no! I do not have any problem. Just because I used Splitter, I was curious to know the effect.
That is weird. This is my speed test. My connection is Trial 20MBps for first six month, which will drop soon.

UPDATE:: I changed 1 to 4 splitter to a 1 to 2, both are given by Comcast technician. My Power Level is reading
-12 dBmV -13 dBmV -12 dBmV -13 dBmV
Now, which I assume much better than when I was using 1 to 4 splitter.

I have 3 questions now:
1- Should I turn off cable modem while changing cable? (I know, very newbie, I never worked with cable)

2- Why there was a slight difference in power when I put modem in right or left output of 1 to 2 splitter!? Should not they give same output?

3- If my power was horrible and comparing it now, so so, why I was still getting full speed from Comcast!? Just curious. I checked power without splitter and it was -9 dBmV, but still gave me same speed of internet!

BCS I AM NOT SURE, THANK POSTS ARE OK, I WRITE HERE IN ADVANCE "THANK YOU ALL"

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1) I would always power off the modem.

2) There can be differences from 1 leg to another with a 2-way splitter if one of the legs is compromised.

3) Signal levels that are in the extremes of tolerance usually equate to connection issues; not speed issues.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to yami

Every time you add splitters, you add attenuation to your line which increases your US signal levels. Your modem should be from the 1st splitter, one leg to the modem, the other leg spilt to the TV's. If your 1st splitter has more than 2 legs, the modem should be attached to the 3.5 db leg if it's an unbalanced splitter. In other words the fewest splitters possible between the drop and modem is the general rule of thumb.
You should really call for service to have your setup checked along with the fittings quality.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by jaynick:

Every time you add splitters, you add attenuation to your line which increases your signal levels. .

FWIW, more specifically, it "increases" only the upstream power level. It DECREASES the downstream power level.

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME
reply to yami

Your levels are pretty bad.As one poster suggested find your line into home from groundblock and hook modem there. Then check levels. If theyre still negative you may want to get a truck roll. Modems can operate well for a while with poor levels before showing faults.

yami

Lake Worth, FL

I think you mean cabling again??

yeah... This home is old. Definitely its cabling was not done for Internet but for CRT quality TVs :/

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EG

said by EG:

said by jaynick:

Every time you add splitters, you add attenuation to your line which increases your signal levels. .

FWIW, more specifically, it "increases" only the upstream power level. It DECREASES the downstream power level.

Yes, I failed be to specific, thanks. The op's upstream is 57.