Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

EA using new consoles as excuse for price increases

said by The Tech Report :

EA: PS4 to raise game development costs 5-10%

Brace yourselves; next-gen games are finally coming. And according to Electronic Arts, they'll be 5-10% more expensive to produce. As Joystiq reports, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen addressed the subject of PlayStation 4 game development costs during the company's recent investor conference call.

Jorgensen stated that, "on any one title, it might be five to 10 percent increases in cost, but the real opportunity comes with the ability to expand what you can do in that title." He added that EA also expects to see "larger revenue streams" because of "the excitement around some of those big titles."

Considering the performance delta between current-gen consoles and the PS4, I actually expected the cost increase to be larger. Next-gen consoles should enable much more lifelike characters, not to mention bigger, richer environments—and all of those extra assets take additional manpower to create. Still, if game studios can take full advantage of next-gen platforms (and current-gen PCs) while keeping costs from spiraling out of control, I'm all for it.

Pretty shitty excuse if you ask me, considering that PCs have long been more capable for immense, sprawling games, and we've already been experiencing them for a while...
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

You'd think now that the consoles are moving to the same architecture that the PC uses costs would come down. Has to be less dev time now that everything will be x86.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Krisnatharok

I guess it's possible if more CPU/memory power means the games are actually bigger, so more content to test and develop.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Badger3k

It's not the devs that are getting expensive, it's the various EA research groups for marketing, pricing, etc.

It takes a lot of time to properly research whether the install game and start game DLCs should be bundled, sold separately, released on Day 1 or later, and whether they should be priced at $4.99, $10.99 or $20.99.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Krisnatharok

Just an FYI that ID Software was the first to charge $60 for a game instead of $50 with Doom 3. At the time, they said that it was due to higher development costs. EA is going to increase the prices now.

Any price increase for games is always going to be looked at as a money grab. The simple fact of the matter is that developers and coders for these games aren't working for the same salary. They are getting raises as well. I do agree that development costs should go down because the architecture is the same now, but I think we all know that prices for games don't decrease once they hit a certain level.

EA's games have been $50-$60 for a while now. Let them charge more. I won't buy them when they first come out and I will wait for them to go on sale, which they will do eventually.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Digital "deluxe" editions have already been going for $69.99 - $79.99. Expect that to become the norm.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Nightfall

Price increase is just a money grab specially when there is the unlock DLC mechanic to charge more for the same development time.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

This is BS! As if I needed more reason to never buy from them. It can't cost that much, devs(well CDPR) has done amazing stuff with TW2 on pc and it didn't cost $70 or more at launch. Just a money grab, same as $50 to $60 games, people trying to screw console players out of money and them(console gamers and some pc gamers) just "loving" it.

What are game prices going to rise $x each generation now just because stupid people will pay it?

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok

Consoles are the future of gaming!

F that...

The future is PC gaming, and Free to Play.

Jorgensen is living in the stone age

there are so many free to play, free to get PC games out now, that you could spend 1000s of hours and still not play them all to completion.

Console games/companies make their money off of the ignorance of their console players

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Krisnatharok

Well I ain't paying for a game that's $80 especially the ones with just singleplayer (bioshock) but why even bother with some of these latest games with the multiplayer? I can't even play it due to my incredible lag connection.. Free to play don't even help, the last 5 free to play games that come out are MMO, MP and coop so thats no fun. Plus I see the gaming future as being a "constant connection" witch means the entire time your playing any game you need to have a constant connection and if that connection drops so does your game.. LAME
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Krisnatharok

I posted this in the micro-transactions thread, but I'll say it again, this is just boosterism for higher prices, and your typical corporate double speak that states that higher pricess necessarily equal better quality.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Jobbie

said by Jobbie:

Price increase is just a money grab specially when there is the unlock DLC mechanic to charge more for the same development time.

I agree, and I am just saying that every company is following that model now.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

Consoles are the future of gaming!

F that...

The future is PC gaming, and Free to Play.

Jorgensen is living in the stone age

there are so many free to play, free to get PC games out now, that you could spend 1000s of hours and still not play them all to completion.

Console games/companies make their money off of the ignorance of their console players

The future of gaming isn't free to play. I would say that its part of the future, but games that are developed and supported like MMORPGs and regular games by studios have a future. Sure, free to play is good, but there are studio games out there that are simply awesome and free to play cannot touch them.

The key is the price. People are willing to spend $60 on games right now. Would they spend $66 if the price went up 10%? I know I would probably wait for the first sale.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I don't even pay $60, I refuse to I've yet to see a game worth that much. Its been years since I bought a game at full release price, be it on pc or console, save for pokemon but thats not $60.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The Witcher 2. I don't regret it for a moment.

Battlefield 3 is another that was well worth it + Premium.

Don't ask me about my investment in Star Citizen... that's TBD.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

said by Krisnatharok:

The Witcher 2. I don't regret it for a moment.

Battlefield 3 is another that was well worth it + Premium.

Don't ask me about my investment in Star Citizen... that's TBD.

Battlefield 3 and Dead Space 3 were my last two $60 purchases. I was ok with those purchases. If the price were to go up, I will just have to evaluate those purchases as well. The odds that I will drop $66 or $70 on a game are slimmer, but I just may if I am a big fan of the series.
--

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok

I am wondering as to why I should give a shit considering I can't play PC games on that.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

EA will lead the way, and other distributors will follow suit. Costs will be passed on regardless as to which platform you play on.
--

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Pure speculation on your part and a very bad excuse to post console bullshit in the PC gaming forum.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

1 recommendation

EA makes pc games too, you honestly think they will have a lower price on the pc?

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

EA will lead the way (fooling all pc gamers while making that company rich), and other distributors will follow suit. Costs will be passed on regardless as to which platform you play on.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Cthen

said by Cthen:

Pure speculation on your part and a very bad excuse to post console bullshit in the PC gaming forum.

lolwut? Are you serious? Do you think this will have nothing to do with the price of PC games? Do you think EA will release Battlefield 4 for $79.99 for Xbox 720 and PS4, but it will be $59.99 for PC?

I must have missed the /s tag on your post...
--

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

I haven't owned a console since the SNES. Every time they come out with a new console, it's only a matter of time before they stop making games for the one you've already bought. And a lot of these systems aren't backwards-compatible, so you won't be able to play your old games on them.

At least when you upgrade a PC, most of your old games will still work.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Krisnatharok

When you factor in prices for inflation games are much cheaper today as compared to 20 years ago. In the end the market will speak. Wii's success was partially attributed to its lower price tag. I also find games lose their value faster than they used to (thanks steam). If one can wait a few months it can almost be found cheaper.

»www.1up.com/news/90s-game-price-···harticle

said by Krisnatharok:

lolwut? Are you serious? Do you think this will have nothing to do with the price of PC games? Do you think EA will release Battlefield 4 for $79.99 for Xbox 720 and PS4, but it will be $59.99 for PC?

It wasn't that long ago I seem to recall many console games had a $10 markup over PC games. If they find alot of PC players won't buy it for 80 bucks they will be forced to either lower the price or get out of PC gaming.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to The Antihero

A matter of time? Obviously. The xbox 360 has been around for nigh on eight years. That's not a bad return on your investment. I bet Windows 8 doesn't last as long.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to graniterock

said by graniterock:

if they find alot of PC players won't buy it for 80 bucks they will be forced to either lower the price or get out of PC gaming.

No, they'll blame piracy and put more draconian drm on the game. Its 2013 that how the world game world works now.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

EA is having some great PR lately.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3

Maybe the shareholders will get a clue sometime this century and fire all the dumb execs... just maybe.

Deschain

join:2012-12-13
Blighty
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

Well I ain't paying for a game that's $80 especially the ones with just singleplayer (bioshock) but why even bother with some of these latest games with the multiplayer? I can't even play it due to my incredible lag connection.. Free to play don't even help, the last 5 free to play games that come out are MMO, MP and coop so thats no fun. Plus I see the gaming future as being a "constant connection" witch means the entire time your playing any game you need to have a constant connection and if that connection drops so does your game.. LAME

If I was you, I would just give up gaming. Take up knitting, or something.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

here is what the future of consoles should be:

»www.cnn.com/2013/03/12/tech/gami···t=hp_bn5

pretty awesome, $99, and all games are free or at least have free trial

if I can get casual gaming into my living room for this cheap, and enjoy it with my wife, I'm in