spc
Search similar:

uniqs
toolingguycg
join:2013-03-01
Crystal Lake, IL

toolingguycg

New u-verse from DSL install questions.

I ordered an upgrade from my DSL/voice to a u-verse internet/voice package. The sales person told me it would be a self install, but a tech would come out to the house to check the lines and I wouldn't need to be home. On the day that was scheduled for the tech, I got a call from him that he was on his way and needed to get in the house to install power to the new NID. There was no one home so we decided to reschedule. I also noticed that instead of purchasing the equipment, like I thought, there is a rental of $6.00/mo.
I would like to know what the difference is between the self install equipment and the powered NID? Is the router the same and can be purchased instead of renting? Can I use my existing wiring, (CAT3 installed in 1986), with plug in phones in more than 1 room?

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

It sounds like you are getting what is called an iNid. Basically, because you are too far for good signal on one pair of telephone copper, you get 2 pairs of telephone copper that go to the iNid which is mounted on the outside of the house.
This unit has to be powered and we run a cat5 cable in for power. To get the wireless & hardwire signal inside the house from the outside can use your existing cat3 wiring, but it would be better to have brand new cat5 running directly to that inside unit.
Are you switching your voice from pots to Uverse voice? If so then the iNid will push your dialtone from the outside on the older cat3 wire to any jack in the house.
The iNid cannot be bought so while you wont be purchasing the equipment you will have to pay the rental fee.

Hope this helps

BTW, the same scenario has happened to me 1 time as well where the cx thought they were getting a self install and because it was an iNid it was converted to a full tech install and the cx wasnt aware.

Self installs are going away for any new customers, but customers that have existing service are still going to be able to get self installs so hopefully this wont happen too much more to anybody
toolingguycg
join:2013-03-01
Crystal Lake, IL

toolingguycg

Thanks
I know the outside equipment (iNid) belongs to AT&T, but can I buy my own RG or are they paired? I am switching to U-verse voice and what I've seen on AT&T's web site, there are 2 different units for inside. Sorry, I wrote router instead of RG in my first post.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

2 edits

Tech007

Premium Member

inid IU on left power supply for outside iNid on right
as far as the iNid goes, there is only one router for the inside.

The pictures above I found off an ebay listing, On the left is an IU modem that looks like an old DSL modem with more lights and on the right is the power supply unit that actually powers an iNid with a case for Battery backup inside if needed

With your uverse voice the iNid sends the dial tone right from the iNid so there is no other inside device. The unit that will have to be place inside for power is also white and is square and it will have a battery that is for backup in case of power failure.

Edited for picture