Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

[Cable] UPS in power outage?

Hey guys, recently the power went out during the latest big snow storm and while I have a beefy UPS for my desktop, I do not have one for my modem/router. Not much for me to do with no internet so I was thinking about picking up another UPS for my modem/router, and especially since I'll be going the VoIP route soon.

So my question is, even if I have them on a UPS, will my internet be up during a power outage? I'm going to guess Rogers has backup generators for its CMTS' and so on, but between their CMTS, and my modem/router, is there anything else that would require power? Effectivetly making a UPS on my router/modem useless if I want internet during an internet outage...Hope this all makes sense.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

3 edits

unfortunately power outages are unpredictable. it could be for 1 block or half the city. And there is no way to predict how extensive the damage will be.

Getting an UPS won't "ensure" you have internet during the outage but if the system was unaffected, it at least lets you surf. For a VOIP system, I highly recommend getting one; I have a 1000 for my router/SIP/modem alone. In honesty, a beefy UPS system for your desktop is crapshoot. Without internet nowadays, there's little you can do. Get a regular 250/350 for your computer - enough for a safe shutdown. Ppl nowadays have tablets and smartphones lying around for surfing and gaming.

For high risk households, keep to POTS. Forward your line to cell towers as they are highly redundant for EMS purposes. (i.e. have an extra cellphone around)

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to d4m1r

Cable does work during a power outage (like DSL). The cabinets on the streets have battery backup.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to d4m1r

After the introduction of Rogers Digital Home Phone (now Rogers Home Phone) they put battery backups in the HFC nodes, so you should continue to have TV, Modem and phone signals during a limited duration outage. If the outage is longer duration you will find Rogers out hooking up lots of small generators near their nodes to charge the batteries.

But that's no guarantee it will stay up or Rogers will get the generator to the node in time, or that it won't run out of gas before the truck returns!!!

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to d4m1r

I have my only UPS on the Modem, Router, and NAS so that their core equipment at my house remains online. To me these more energy efficient devices have more to gain being connected to the UPS than my Desktop and two monitors. In a power outage I switch to my laptop. I've survived a few power outages like this and the internet kept on chugging.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

After the introduction of Rogers Digital Home Phone (now Rogers Home Phone) they put battery backups in the HFC nodes, so you should continue to have TV, Modem and phone signals during a limited duration outage. If the outage is longer duration you will find Rogers out hooking up lots of small generators near their nodes to charge the batteries.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

I know at least during the last outage a few days ago in Toronto cable still worked. I have some smaller UPS for my cordless phones as well as my router/modem/ATA. Since we run mainly laptops everything worked just fine.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to d4m1r

Get a decent one.

Get a reasonably beefy UPS, esp. if you'll have other devices on the same UPS, and you can have functional internet access for hours during an outage.

In my case I have my DSL router as well as my 24-port Gigabit switch on my UPS.

Fortunately, most outages don't last hours though.
--
Everything Apple

c_gadfly

join:2008-05-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to d4m1r

Re: [Cable] UPS in power outage?

said by d4m1r:

So my question is, even if I have them on a UPS, will my internet be up during a power outage? I'm going to guess Rogers has backup generators for its CMTS' and so on, but between their CMTS, and my modem/router, is there anything else that would require power? Effectivetly making a UPS on my router/modem useless if I want internet during an internet outage...Hope this all makes sense.

I can confirm that during the last big snow storm, TekSavvy internet was still working (I have a UPS for my router, cable modem, ATA device and cordless phone).

It was eerie surfing on the tablet while everything was pitch dark.

I had internet for at least 5 hours, before the power came back.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to d4m1r

Personally, I use the big beefy UPS (BR1500 with BR24BP external battery unit) for the desktop computer (can run for an hour and a half) and a dinky little UPS (BE750G) for the modem/router (can run for several hours because the modem/router use almost no power).

This complete isolation means that even if my desktop's UPS (which also powers my home theatre) runs dry, my network will remain working unaffected so that connectivity is maintained for my laptop and mobile devices. My file server (and projector) run on a different beefy UPS (BR150G with BR24BPG) to keep that ticking separate from the desktop too.

Probably should replace the BR1500... That thing is ooooold, the external battery pack is probably past its lifespan (main battery got replaced not too long ago), the wiring is fiddly (doesn't detect the battery is installed unless you poke the wires just right before closing it up), and the thing recently started switching back and forth between mains and battery every few seconds until I lowered the voltage fluctuation sensitivity... But a new UPS is expensive...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org