Search similar:

uniqs

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00

One way to solve it

The FCC could determine that cell phones must be sold UNLOCKED.

Therefore there's never any circumvention and the DMCA doesn't kick in.

edit: for clarity
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Of course and when people screw around with the OS on their unlocked phone and brick it or mess it up some other way they'll blame the carrier and demand anew phone for free.

seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

Of course and when people screw around with the OS on their unlocked phone and brick it or mess it up some other way they'll blame the carrier and demand anew phone for free.

I highly doubt that
When people fuck up their computers by "tinkering" or by inadvertent fuckups, they dont go running to the computer manufactures asking for a "free" computer.

complete hogwash.

Alex J
@184.105.146.x

Alex J to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298

Only if they're stupid. Flashing something like CM10 is elementary grade difficult if you can read. If you're worried, don't.

It should be a consumer right to tinker with the device they own. Anybody who argues against these kinds of rights astounds me.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

The stupid people who expect a free subsidized phone aren't the same ones who buy their own to do as they please with it. I would expect that reaction from the subsidy-obsessed crowd.
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to seamore

Premium Member

to seamore
You might want to rethink that. Ask any phone support person. Or better yet; someone in the warranty repair department who sees these "bricked" systems come back for exchange with the user saying "I didn't do anything to it.... it just quit." It happens in many different sectors like routers, switches, modems, and even computers. Adding phones to the mix would be nothing new, just a change to the warranty system.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Robert to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

This has nothing to do with unlocking your phone. Unlocking allows consumers to use their phone on any carrier that supports the phone.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to 88615298

to 88615298
Your thinking of the wrong kind of unlocking, this is about sim unlocking which lets GSM phones work on other carriers, not bootloader unlocking which lets you load custom roms.
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419 to rfnut

to rfnut
Phones now days can be unbricked, and in fact some phones have to be bricked to be rooted. Granted they are soft bricked, but its almost impossible now days to hard brick a phone.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

We're talking about carrier locking here. Not messing with your phone / rooting.

They're completely different.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to 88615298

to 88615298
Bullsh*t. I've been running Cyanogenmod for years. It definitely kicks ass!
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr to nothing00

to nothing00
The FCC could simply deny an FCC ID/(license to transmit) approval for locked phones.

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank to Alex J

Premium Member

to Alex J
said by Alex J :

Only if they're stupid. Flashing something like CM10 is elementary grade difficult if you can read. If you're worried, don't.

Stupidity has nothing to do with it. Everybody has attributes.

Computers are easy to some but difficult to others just like cooking is easy to some but difficult to others.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to seamore

to seamore
said by seamore:

said by 88615298:

I highly doubt that
When people fuck up their computers by "tinkering" or by inadvertent fuckups, they dont go running to the computer manufactures asking for a "free" computer.

complete hogwash.

What are you talking about. People do that all the time.
fifty nine

fifty nine to nothing00

to nothing00
said by nothing00:

The FCC could determine that cell phones must be sold UNLOCKED.

And then suddenly a new iPhone will be $900.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

nothing00

said by fifty nine:

And then suddenly a new iPhone will be $900.

Uh, why?

Last I recall you sign a two year contract with high early termination fees to get the initial low price.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to theboz1419

Premium Member

to theboz1419
Had to brick my Burst after ICS upgrade to make it run right. Flash CWM, then the kernel files that the updater fails to overwrite, then run updater again by rebooting to download mode via CWM. Change defective CPU(goes from running on 2 cores to 1 on every one I seen after ICS upgrade) and memory default settings(causing OOM to be an epic fail) and you're in business. This stops all the freezes, lags, crashes, and other bs, as well as enables a recovery mode which was stripped with the ICS upgrade.

But anyways, what does unlocking a phone have to do with bricking? Unlocking is simply unlocking the baseband firmware to allow any carrier's SIM card, usually done via code. It has nothing to do with root and custom ROMs. A phone can be unlocked, but not rooted or vice-versa. I don't care much about unlocking as not many carriers around here meet my needs. Without root, I'd go nuts. I like to have control over my device and some, like this Burst, have to be rooted to run right. So, rooting voids warranties, but unlocking does not.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to tkdslr

to tkdslr
and Others would be smacking the FCC around and could possibly redo the entire "department/agency" for such a thing especially since the Library of Congress says otherwise.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to nothing00

to nothing00
Will never happen. The FCC would be smacked so hard they'd redo the agency. Plus the Agency would NOT have the power to do such a thing.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to fifty nine

to fifty nine
GOOD!
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

This has nothing to do with unlocking your phone. Unlocking allows consumers to use their phone on any carrier that supports the phone.

Even more pointless. You can't bring an unlocked at&t phone to Verizon or a unlocked Verizon phone to at&t even if they supported all bands of LTE. Unless the only thing you wanted to do is use data. Verizon's till uses CDMA for calls and texts and at&t still uses GSM for calls and texts. So you'd need a separate device for those things.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by Robert:

Even more pointless. You can't bring an unlocked at&t phone to Verizon or a unlocked Verizon phone to at&t even if they supported all bands of LTE. Unless the only thing you wanted to do is use data. Verizon's till uses CDMA for calls and texts and at&t still uses GSM for calls and texts. So you'd need a separate device for those things.

Au contraire. The point of unlocking, for the bulk of users, is so that when they travel internationally, they are not forced to use their carriers exorbitant roaming rates. Unlocking phones would allow users to purchase a simcard and use cheaper roaming charges through a local wireless carrier in the country they are in.