spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kalokeri

@184.63.95.x

[DVR] Is multi-room dvr required?

Hello, I have a question that verizon chat support did not seem to be able to answer, I am looking to order fios tv (fios doubleplay) for 6 HDtvs, all with dvrs.

My question is: do I need 1 multi room dvr and 5 regular dvrs or just 6 regular dvrs? I want to be able to view recordings from any dvr from any tv. Is there any benefit to having a multiroom dvr in this scenario? I am coming from the awesome Dish hopper/joey setup and while I see that the setup is will not be as seamless I am looking for as similar an experience as possible.

Verizon chat wanted me to get 1 multi room and 5 stbs but I want to be able to pause live tv on all boxes and have enough tuners for 4 people to watch their own live tv while things are recording in the background. As I understand from searching the forums, HD stbs are only capable of pausing previously recorded content, Is this correct? When I asked him this he then said to get 6 dvrs no multiroom, but he didn't seem to sure so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thank you for your help! And I apologize for the wall of text.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

All DVR's are the same "box"...
Multroom is simply a ( more expensive) billing & software "upgrade to the existing boxes/ account, allowing multiroom viewing between boxes ...
It can also always be added later once you have your boxes, with no equipment change ..

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to Kalokeri

Yes you need an actual DVR to be able to pause live TV. Unless you absolutely need this feature, I would get 1 DVR and 5 HD STB's. That would save you a lot of money.

Kalokeri

@184.63.95.x
reply to MeatChicken

Thanks for the quick reply!
I thought they were the same physical device, but when I order do I need to select the $19.99 Multiroom dvr option for one of them (vs $16.99 dvr) to have the boxes talk to each other? Or will they do that automatically? I'm assuming from your response I'll need to pay for the software upgrade?

jr461

join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ
reply to Mac973

said by Mac973:

Yes you need an actual DVR to be able to pause live TV. Unless you absolutely need this feature, I would get 1 DVR and 5 HD STB's. That would save you a lot of money.

While this would save money, with 6 people, odds are that they will encounter recording conflicts. Up to the OP to decide.

In my case we have 1 MRDVR, 3 DVRs and one HD STB. Aside from transport controls on live TV, there are no recording conflicts, plenty of space to record without external HDs and all boxes see the others' recordings.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
reply to Kalokeri

If you want to be able to see recordings of 1 DVR to another, one of them has to be multi-room. As far as I know, having 1 MRDVR will allow all 6 to watch each others recorded shows.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to jr461

said by jr461:

said by Mac973:

While this would save money, with 6 people, odds are that they will encounter recording conflicts. Up to the OP to decide.

In my case we have 1 MRDVR, 3 DVRs and one HD STB. Aside from transport controls on live TV, there are no recording conflicts, plenty of space to record without external HDs and all boxes see the others' recordings.

I've always wondered about the details you report, especially the "and all boxes see the others' recordings." It means that the account has the MRDVR service, and any DVRs or STBs on the account participate in that service. The IMG DVR already had the capability embedded in all DVRs by the way.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to Kalokeri

Based on prices in NJ (I don't know where the OP is located):

1 MRDVR = $19.99
5 HD STB's = 6.99 x 5 = $35
Total cost = $55/month

1 MRDVR = $19.99
5 DVRs = 15.99 x 5 = $80
Total cost = $100/month

So there is a big price difference in the 2 setups. But obviously it depends how much recording you do and how important is it to pause live tv to decide whether or not the extra $45/month is worthwhile.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to Kalokeri

Yes, you will need just the $19.99/mnth MDVR "option", & that is the "software" upgrade.

Kalokeri

@184.63.95.x
reply to Mac973

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I'm in southern California and the prices are quite a bit higher:

Option 1

1 MRDVR = 19.99
5 HD STB's = 11.99 x 5 = 59.95
Total cost = 79.94

Option 2

1 MRDVR = 19.99
5 DVRs = 16.99 x 5 = 84.95
Total cost = 104.94

So here the difference is only 25.00. This cost will be split among all the housemates so the price is definitely worth not arguing over who canceled someone else's recording

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

said by Kalokeri :

Yes, we on the left cost get charged much more, and don't get some of the perks the New Yorkers do. But at least we can get FiOS and don't have to put up with the alternatives, Charter in my case. I saw Charter's HD picture quality last weekend (at the neighbors for the Oscars) and it was abysmal.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Kalokeri

The prices with the MRDVR + at least 3 STBs (or it may be two) qualify for bundle discounts. When I was pricing out the MRDVR + 3 STBs I believe the price came in at $46.99 instead of $55.96 w/o any discounts.

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to Kalokeri

said by Kalokeri :

Actually anyone outside the NY Metro area pays the same as California. Here in PA the prices are the same as you mentioned.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!