horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: tracing a mac address

stuartmw:

I'm aware of that too. Not knowing whether the OP let his router assign IP's (most common) or has a service on a PC doing it I wrote

quote:
...you can use an arp utility either on a PC or on your router if it supports it's use.

i like to use static ips, so i assign them. my router is an airport extreme base station.
i'm almost positive there's no command line access.
might there be a way that some mix of disabling dhcp and other configs could help secure the router?

re: arp - i'm running os x, i have arp on the command line.
how can i utilize this to help secure my network?
and would some machine on the network always have to be on?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

So wait you statically assign IPs, yet you left DHCP on? From a quick Google search I see that good ol' Apple doesn't think you'd ever want to disable DHCP. Here's a workaround: »macnugget.org/projects/aebx/

Since your router has no command line access you can't check the ARP command there so you're basically at the end of the road here.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
said by horacebork:

i like to use static ips, so i assign them.

Actually I have some static IP's and some pseudo-static IP's (IP's assigned through DHCP but "static" based on their MAC address).

That mean's I don't have a have a local DNS server (I use Windows HOST files to name my stuff).

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork to SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

to SpHeRe31459

So wait you statically assign IPs, yet you left DHCP on?

right. there are still a couple of devices that i cannot assign static ip on the device itself.
the apple tv is one of them. i could reserve a static ip for it's mac address, i suppose ..

is there a way by disabling dhcp that i can prevent an outside machine from gaining a compatible ip address on my lan?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by horacebork:

So wait you statically assign IPs, yet you left DHCP on?

right. there are still a couple of devices that i cannot assign static ip on the device itself.
the apple tv is one of them. i could reserve a static ip for it's mac address, i suppose ..

is there a way by disabling dhcp that i can prevent an outside machine from gaining a compatible ip address on my lan?

Seems to me like you pretty much already hit on what you can do. Reserve the MAC address of those devices that can't be set statically (manually). Then set the DHCP pool to exactly the number of devices that must use DHCP.

I don't know of any TCP/IP enabled device that cannot be manually assigned. I'm pretty sure to be a TCP/IP enabled device the specifications mandate that it must expose a method for manual assignment.

For example: with a simple Google search of "apple tv static ip address" I immediately found instructions for setting a static IP address for Apple TV...

Menu >> Settings
General
Network
Configure TCP/IP
Choose Manually
Enter your desired IP

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

Reserve the MAC address of those devices that can't be set statically (manually). Then set the DHCP pool to exactly the number of devices that must use DHCP.

That'll work nicely unless someone tries to spoof one of the MAC addresses. Then, as they say, results may be unpredictable.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Right, it's sort of the best that can be done in that situation. I would think that it's pretty slim chances that someone is going to try that hard to mess with some random person's wireless network that was probably just seen while wardriving around or something.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by SpHeRe31459:

Reserve the MAC address of those devices that can't be set statically (manually). Then set the DHCP pool to exactly the number of devices that must use DHCP.

I've been doing exactly this for years. I also have some static IP's (set in the device) that are outside the pool. If someone manages to spoof any one of my IP's then I have more serious issues

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
said by horacebork:

that will not enhance your security. As long as the device is on an unused ip address on the subnet, it can communicate with other devices on the lan. DHCP makes it easier, but not impossible by a long shot.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by AVD:

that will not enhance your security.

Agreed. The best you can do (and what I have) is to use firewall rules, in your router, to try and restrict IP's (and log their activity) you know shouldn't be present. It's not foolproof however.