share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to Shootist

Re: MS policy on re-using activation key

You don't know what you are talking about. You are very naive regarding Dell. It is obvious you have never been in Dell Hell and thus you are not qualified to speak about this.

Further, I didn't ADD NEW SOFTWARE. That is what I thought I was doing. Instead, I OBTAINED A NEW OS THAT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH DELL. The support for the new OS comes from Microsoft.

I wrote a long reply but it is not wise for me to explain it further to you.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

No I've never been in Dell hell and have dealt with Dell on a few occasions always with a good outcome. Even after changing the OS and installing many programs on a Dell computer and then having NO Problems getting service for a failed piece of hardware. In fact on 2 different notebooks that I bought as Refurbs that still had the Complete Care warranty left on them. They, Dell, basically Rebuilt the systems with new case parts and motherboards putting them back to AS NEW. And on another that the screen went bad and that was replaced Next Business day at my place of work. And then with my present Dell E6420 that had soome spots on the screen, Dead Pixels. I did get the full Completecare on that system so I had to send it in. Dell sent me a box to ship it back and I got it back in less then a week. Completely fixed. On the newest notebook I had replaced the original drive with a SSD, removed the 2GBs of RAM I order it with and install 8GBs and installed a second HDD in the Media bay in a caddy I did not buy from Dell. I put all the original parts back in before sending it to them and Not a Word was said to me in any way that the "Hardware" Warranty was Void.

I have since replaced the CPU with an i7, it came with an i5, and increased the RAM to 16GBs.
If an when I have any more problems with that system I will do the same. Call Dell , explain the problem, They will send me a box, I will Replace all the original parts with the ones I have installed and send it in. It will be fixed and sent back to me without one word of any Voiding of the Warranty.
That is IF Dell is still in business at that time.

You are very mistaken in your opinion an attitude about what you can and can't do to a Dell computer and still have the warranty honored.
It Is a Hardware Warranty.
Right the MS Media center OS, SOFTWARE, is now covered by Microsoft support and not Dell as it is not longer the OEM OS.

But the Dell Hardware warranty is still in affect.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to Shootist

said by Shootist:

Please point out where and when a piece of software has Physically damage a piece of hardware and exactly what that software is.

One of the most famous one was already posted.

Another one is the Mars lander that failed to land due to a SW error.

It can make the computer not function and or crash but it can not damage the hardware. Once that piece of software is removed and or the Operating system reinstalled the hardware will be fine and will start to function properly again.

The original quote was "hardware".

In any case, I can safely say that you wouldn't be able to install the intended OS onto the SSDs I wrecked. I tried.

Do you think any computer manufacture would give a warranty of any kind on the hardware they sell if a software program you installed could physically damage the hardware they sold you.

The fact that most manufacturers allow users to install CPU, memory, add-in cards, and some even allow overclocking, voltage tweaking, etc., that is a clear indication that they don't prohibit activities that can potentially lead to HW damage. I agree that for an average Blow Joe it is much easier to mess up his HW the old fashioned way than with SW (the latter requires quite a bit of knowledge, and possibly work) but that doesn't mean it is not possible.

So the hardware in those SSDs was faulty, IE the firmware that controls the hardware that the Manufacturer supply. But I guaranty if the memory chips were taken out of those faulty SSDs, wiped clean and put in another system that did not have faulty firmware controlling them they would still function.

It wouldn't even require as much, just re-initializing the whole thing in the factory, but since the company has yet to provide me the proper SW (I don't think they have it at all for PCs)

But since the memory chips are BGA on those SSDs, desoldering, for the most part, is not a viable option for most.

Heat is about the only thing that can damage hardware.

Heat is only one thing that can damage HW.

Your reference to Monitor again is not software. It is User Error.
Again the hard drive YOU damaged was not caused by Software, Again User Error.

So you want to redefine the question to SW that runs without any input from as user? You should've done this beforehand, not after my counterexamples. If there's a SW, that is usually operated by a human, or set up by a human.

In all cases that someone Bricked there system it was from doing something the system was not designed to do and the USER Forced it. Software does not do that USERS do.

I have seen (and investigated) quite a few cases when bricking was not due to user error.
--
Wacky Races 2012!