All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
KC7
join:2006-11-08
Ottawa, ON

KC7

You might hit your usage cap and not know it.

New exploit dumps data on to your hard drive. If I was Robelus, I would actively deploy this exploit $$$ The revenue upside could be huge.

»arstechnica.com/security ··· of-data/
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

you don't need to even need access to your computer's hard drive.

Usage includes all data regardless of origin or validity that is sent to the Modem.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to KC7

to KC7
I don't believe this downloads the data, the code just creates junk data on your hard drive.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to KC7

MVM

to KC7
What does this have to do with usage caps? This exploit has to do with filling the disk, and requires virtually no bandwidth to do so.

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

Breadwinka to Samgee

to Samgee
Exactly i brought up a usage monitor my bandwidth was not increase all it does is exactly what you said create random garbage. Actually crashed chrome on me.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

There is a use for such a program. When you delete a file off your hard drive, only the reference to the file is deleted. The data itself continues to reside on the disk until it's overwritten by new files.

Having a program write random garbage to unoccupied spaces on a hard drive ensures any left-over data residing in those spaces are effectively destroyed. It's the most effective way to ensure that no compromising data falls into the wrong hands.

The concept Web site mentioned in the article could eventually become a useful tool requiring no software installation on any computer.

I'll let you people figure out the legality of such a tool.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg

Premium Member

No different than a wipe delete, or sanitizing program as long as it only works on un-allocated sectors.