uniqs

gwbuffalo
join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

2 recommendations

gwbuffalo to jtl999

to jtl999

Re: [Business] Six Strikes included?.

Wow, what a bunch of idiotic answers, none really even attempt to answer what is being asked here.

JohnInSJ, nice way to be condescending to the person asking the question then pointing to something that has nothing to do with the new "six strikes" policy. Hum... get a clue.

NetFixer, as usual, doesn't know what he is talking about either. The question had nothing to do with Comcast giving anyone "free reign" to their content.

The answer to the original question is yes, from what I've read the "six strikes" program will not be used on the business class connections. Think about it, that would mean one rogue employee could get the company's internet dropped and there are just too many problems with that. Also, what about the businesses that have a connection that they share with their patrons, like a coffee shop? You think they're going to lose their connection?

It's easy for Comcast, and other ISPs, to target the individual users and expect them to have some control over what happens on their connection, business lines make for a much stickier situation.

Wow, a real answer more than "don't infringe on copyrights," crazy!
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by gwbuffalo:

The answer to the original question is yes, from what I've read the "six strikes" program will not be used on the business class connections. Think about it, that would mean one rogue employee could get the company's internet dropped and there are just too many problems with that. Also, what about the businesses that have a connection that they share with their patrons, like a coffee shop? You think they're going to lose their connection?

Care to share where you read that?

So, Comcast would rather let it slide for business customers because you think it's rather inconvenient for the businesses themselves to lose their connection or there's just too many problems with that?

If they [businesses] can't implement good security measures on their network to avoid customers and or rogue employees dl'ing ILLEGAL stuff, then they shouldn't be allowing anybody access to it in the first place.

I have starter biz at home and I got my own network locked down really good. One more thing I need to do though, I need to make sure that users inside my network are warned not to DL illegal stuff.
said by gwbuffalo:

Wow, a real answer more than "don't infringe on copyrights," crazy!

now, this I agree....

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to gwbuffalo

to gwbuffalo
nice try dude. the only thing offered from the six strike policy is that businesses with open wifi (cafe, coffee shops, etc) wont be held responsible.

none of our answers were idiotic.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by gar187er:

nice try dude. the only thing offered from the six strike policy is that businesses with open wifi (cafe, coffee shops, etc) wont be held responsible.

Just playing devil's advocate here. But all someone on a business class connection has to do then is open up their wifi and then they can just claim that was the reason? Will this mean Comcast will require that businesses secure their wifi and provide an (accountable/loggable) way of backtracing who on their wifi network was to blame? Or stop providing free wifi? There are some subtle ramifications to this I think...

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Not to mention, I know it is not a "requirement" that you are an actual business to be able to sign up for, and use, a business account.

Do you think Comcast may change their policy to enforce that now? If not, I could see a lot of residential customers making the jump to business class service in the same way people jumped to avoid the 250 GB per month download cap.

--Brian

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

said by plencnerb:

Not to mention, I know it is not a "requirement" that you are an actual business to be able to sign up for, and use, a business account.

Do you think Comcast may change their policy to enforce that now? If not, I could see a lot of residential customers making the jump to business class service in the same way people jumped to avoid the 250 GB per month download cap.

--Brian

Funny you say that. A friend of mine in the Indianapolis area said in his region at least Comcast won't allow business class internet at a residential address. I don't know if it was just the person who spoke to or an official policy change. But yes, I could absolutely see Comcast do this.

On the other hand, I don't know what they would do to provide service to people who:

a. want a static IP
b. want to run a server
c. want a more reliable connection because they work remotely (teleworker)

Unless they create some kind of "premium" residential plan to cover the above, they'll lose a lot of business I'd imagine.

gwbuffalo
join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

1 recommendation

gwbuffalo to medbuyer

to medbuyer
asjamias, a few places, including this post from a Comcast employee on their own forums:
"The program does not apply to commercial business internet service and does not block P2P traffic at all. The CCI initiative is applicable to residential service."
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Cu ··· U1595521

I am just postulating here, but I believe that Comcast, and most ISPs, feel they can treat residential customers as a person, even if there are multiple people at the address they feel that "someone" is responsible for what happens on the network. With a business, it becomes much, much harder to determine who is at fault, and as such there isn't much an ISP can do to target a specific person as being the person infringing on the copyright.

If you think that any business can really lock down their system to prevent illegal file sharing, you're dreaming. Say you did have a business with a few employees, you warned them not to share illegal content on P2P networks and they did anyway, now your businesses' connection gets cut off. What will you do? Say "thank you Comcast, for keeping the bad people from doing bad things!"?? No, you'll be suing them for cutting off the Internet access for your company and losing you business! Which brings us to another reason why ISPs don't like messing with business customers, if you cut a home user off there's no possible "loss of business" lawsuit waiting to happen where as with a business you can bet there will be one.

gar187er, really? "copyright is copyright" wasn't a meaningless answer to the question on whether or not business lines will face the same system? Seems like it was to me. The "six strike" system doesn't apply to ANY businesses, doesn't matter if they have open wifi or not. But, hey, nice try dude!
gwbuffalo

gwbuffalo to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

Doubtful, especially since Comcast will most likely make more money charging someone for a business line. They're doing their part here and playing along with Hollywood and the music industry. What this really seems to be aimed at is kids downloading off their parents' accounts and trying to "educate" people more than anything.

Of course, once you have three or more strikes on a user's account, it's just that much easier for the RIAA or MPAA to file a lawsuit against them and win.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to gwbuffalo

to gwbuffalo
said by gwbuffalo:

asjamias, a few places, including this post from a Comcast employee on their own forums:

"The program does not apply to commercial business internet service and does not block P2P traffic at all. The CCI initiative is applicable to residential service."
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Cu ··· U1595521

so they won't apply it to Businesses who has wifi for customers...

m for sure, they have this in writing in their contract...
said by gwbuffalo:

If you think that any business can really lock down their system to prevent illegal file sharing, you're dreaming. Say you did have a business with a few employees, you warned them not to share illegal content on P2P networks and they did anyway, now your businesses' connection gets cut off.

I somewhat agree BUT, like I said above...

If the business can't lock it down, don't let anybody access it. May it be a 2 man business or 100 employee business, I would think that they could hire somebody to lock it down for them or hire a permanent IT guy to oversee their network. Unless, the IT guy himself is the culprit, then that's another question. And or you may have a very stupid employee that they didn't think it would cost them their job.

If they're not doing that, they are missing one of the basic principles of doing business, accountability.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to gwbuffalo

Premium Member

to gwbuffalo
said by gwbuffalo:

Wow, what a bunch of idiotic answers, none really even attempt to answer what is being asked here.

JohnInSJ, nice way to be condescending to the person asking the question then pointing to something that has nothing to do with the new "six strikes" policy. Hum... get a clue.

Business class has AUP verbiage that covers illegal use, and the 6 strikes system is how comcast will deal with infringement notifications.

Comcast does not give a rats ass the class of account. Infringement is infringement.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Business class has AUP verbiage that covers illegal use, and the 6 strikes system is how comcast will deal with infringement notifications.

Comcast does not give a rats ass the class of account. Infringement is infringement.

Unless I missed an official notice or comment, I don't believe we know for a fact one way or the other whether the "Six Strikes" implementation will be applied to business customers or not. And a minor nit, its not an "infringement" - its an accusation of infringement, a big difference.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

its not an "infringement" - its an accusation of infringement, a big difference.

6 times. Yeah.
Violation of the AUP is grounds for termination of the agreement with ETF. You agree to that when you sign up.

So you maybe be right, maybe one strike on business class.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to gwbuffalo

Premium Member

to gwbuffalo
What concerns me about this pop-up stuff is --- I wonder how long before there is some malware that puts a "P2P warning" pop-up on the browser window instructing the user to click through to a malware download site?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by camper:

What concerns me about this pop-up stuff is --- I wonder how long before there is some malware that puts a "P2P warning" pop-up on the browser window instructing the user to click through to a malware download site?

Popups happen all the time, spoofing security/virus scanners and other OS-level alerts.

Why be concerned about this over the plethora of existing social engineering attacks?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

...Why be concerned about this over the plethora of existing social engineering attacks?

Because the customers will be getting notices from the ISPs "sanctioning" the new P2P pop-ups, which is a new twist in the social engineering tactics.

The question I see is whether or not the ISPs will be able to sufficiently distinguish a real P2P pop-up from a bogus one.

If the ISPs cannot do that, then the ISPs are merely creating a new attack vector into their customers' computers for the malware vendors to exploit.
camper

camper

Premium Member

btw, here's some info (with screenshots) about Comcast's approach.

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· ks-like/