Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sarmiento

join:2009-06-29
Montreal, QC

[DSL] Wireless Router for FAST2864

Hi to all,

I am a new 25/10 DSL convert after having been with TS for 5 years at the 5/U program. I stupidly thought I was getting fiberoptic into the house and would be rid of my copper I was ofcourse wrong...So I still have my old copper lines going to the fiber Optic main lines....my copper lines are about 40 years old...

Well speed test show that yes I do have the 25 down but I max out at 6 Up no doubt due to the lines in my house and outside.

I will be using the FAST2864 as just a modem thats it so I am looking for a good wireless router that will have good wifi we mostly use macs in the house and are on a single story with many walls , my old Thomson Speedtouch 780wl could not get me signal in to the bedroom....

The essential qualities I am looking for in the router is a good thernet board as my TV is connected HW through a WD TV LIve plus and I have my synology NAS also HW to the router. The router must be able to accept PPPOE and telnet and assign VPN so I can watch my US Netflix. Should be as stable as possible I do not really intend to stream HD content by WIFI but it should be able to handle the task...

So any recommended picks out there?

At present I am using an old workhorse that is doing a good job a Dlink DIR-628 the router I am considering is the Asus RT-AC66U
Just want to make sure I am not going to end up with a router that will not let me connect and download my favourite things.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

I still think AC is too young for now. I use a N66U. Has all the options you're looking for. (it's not cheap though)

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10
reply to sarmiento

Linksys E4200 refurb (v1 if you like custom firmware or v2), Asus RT-N66U or Asus RT-N16 if you don't need dual-band.

sarmiento

join:2009-06-29
Montreal, QC
reply to sarmiento

Would the RT-N56U do as good a job in most cases except for the extended range and handling the large amount of traffic without the loss of pass-through?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

I still think AC is too young for now. I use a N66U. Has all the options you're looking for. (it's not cheap though)

Another vote for the N66U, I have it, I have Tomato on it, and it's fantastic.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to sarmiento

said by sarmiento:

Would the RT-N56U do as good a job in most cases except for the extended range and handling the large amount of traffic without the loss of pass-through?

I have one and it's awesome.