how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jam_bongo

join:2002-07-17
Toronto, ON

Outlook for people still on GAS

I am a little curious looking forwards what the latest decision potentially means for people still on GAS services? Will they stay on it indefinitely or is there going to be some sort of migration away from it?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
Legacy GAS will be there for a while still. Most rural areas still don't have much more than Legacy.

Martin

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to jam_bongo
I certainly hope it stays as that's what my in-laws are on and they definitely need the service even if the sync is only 2Mb.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to TSI Martin
said by TSI Martin:

Legacy GAS will be there for a while still. Most rural areas still don't have much more than Legacy.

Martin

Ahem. Most rural areas don't even have DSL..

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jam_bongo
I am very thankful for good quality 6M DSL in our rural village of 3000. It actually ends up being faster to work from home over VPN than it is at my own office.

We patiently await VDSL for faster uploads!

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
I rented a cottage for a week for the past 3 summers in Lac Ste-Marie, QC and was surprised it has 3 meg DSL. While not lightning quick it came in handy.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to jam_bongo
The latest decision has no effect on GAS because nothing changed.Transport fee's for usage changed thou so you may see a decrease if you wanted to go to a higher speed.Not so sure actual price for legacy will drop because of that

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
reply to jam_bongo
The entire county of Haldimand ONLY has legacy GAS ADSL1. The whole county, and every town in it is stuck at 6MB

I imagine nearby Norfolk county is not in a lot better shape if at all.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Rofl The entire population of your county is what? 10 thousand? I know it would be nice to wire it and all but I've worked out there.. It would be a Huge undertaking to fix all those Country hum lines and loadcoils.. P:)
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by morisato:

Rofl The entire population of your county is what? 10 thousand?

Sigh, typical Torontoid.

If you had used Google prior to making dull comments, you would have realized that your number was off by about 40,000.

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Gone:

If you had used Google prior to making dull comments, you would have realized that your number was off by about 40,000.

Population density is what matters.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by bjlockie:

Right, and while there's nothing the size of Markham down that way there are still rural towns like Dunnville and Caledonia that are more than just a few houses in the middle of nowhere. Shaw is doing 100Mbit cable in both.
Expand your moderator at work

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Gone

Re: Outlook for people still on GAS

Okay So 50 thousand people, The problem is your county is Huge for the return, i doubt you can expect much more than c/o slams ever out there. or a wifi solution of some kind Unless someone needs to run Thru your county to get somewhere profitable.
It sucks i agree But Until broadband becomes a charity your just not worth the effort. Spend 50 million to make it back in several hundred years... Check...
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Honestly, at this point internet access in the first world is an essential service. The government should step in and subsidize it if it's not cost effective. We did it with phone and hydro. I don't see why fibre is all that much different than electricity. Other than the fact that's cheaper. Honestly, it'd probably be revenue neutral after a couple of years, as we've consistently seen internet access drive innovation, education, and profitability everywhere it goes. There's no reason why this would be untrue of Haldimand county, Dunnville or Caledonia.

ShetiPhian

join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

1 edit
reply to Inssomniak
We're not any better 50k pop, many (most?) can't get 6MB sync due to poor lines (yet the trunk lines sync at 7-8 easily)
Bell laughs when asked about FTTN. (the last couple of sub divisions where wired with copper and tied into the old copper system)

Our biggest move forward was a few* years back when new fibre was ran from Toronto to Kingston, during that time the old copper connection to Kingston was changed to fibre.

Edit:
now that I think about it it was several years back, as the news came form a friends father (worked for bell) who was very excited.

maxboha

join:2012-05-12
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·Bell Sympatico
·Cooptel
reply to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

I am very thankful for good quality 6M DSL in our rural village of 3000. It actually ends up being faster to work from home over VPN than it is at my own office.

We patiently await VDSL for faster uploads!

Im in the same situation but our village is 8000 of population

I'm not thankfull... of paying 63 $ for 6 megabits unlimited and here in spain were i am actually , they are paying 39 euros for 100 megabits unlimited...

Having internet in my opinion isn't a privilege, its essential today in 2013.

Edit 1 : Correction

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

Okay So 50 thousand people, The problem is your county is Huge for the return, i doubt you can expect much more than c/o slams ever out there. or a wifi solution of some kind Unless someone needs to run Thru your county to get somewhere profitable.
It sucks i agree But Until broadband becomes a charity your just not worth the effort. Spend 50 million to make it back in several hundred years... Check...

Hey, Im not complaining, I make a very good living operating my WISP here. With the collapse of Shaw Hamilton's wireless division, piss poor service from xplornet, launch of our new phone service, things are great!
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

The problem is your county

It's not "my" county. If you look at a map, you will see that Fort Erie is in a Regional Municipality with nearly half a million people.

Despite having half a million people, only one city with 130,000 people - St. Catharines - has any sort of wide-scale FTTN. Welland (50,000), Niagara Falls (80,000) and Niagara-on-the-Lake (13,000) have bits and pieces with FFTN, but it's hardly widescale.

I believe Grimsby and parts of the Town of Lincoln also have small amounts of FTTN. They each have 20,000 people. Hey, what do you know, that's the size of Dunnville in Haldimand County.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario
reply to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

The entire county of Haldimand ONLY has legacy GAS ADSL1. The whole county, and every town in it is stuck at 6MB

I imagine nearby Norfolk county is not in a lot better shape if at all.

There is silo wireless but has a bad cap and aint cheap.Looked at getting it for when I'm camping in brant county but was easier just to tether

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Parts of Haldimand County can get wireless from Last Mile Wireless based out of Fort Erie. They are open about and outright advertise the fact they have no caps, but their fastest speeds are still only 5Mbit/s.

Great company to deal with in case anyone out that way needs wireless, though.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario
There are options but...Silo in a partnership with brant,haldiman,norfolk to get available to everyone in those area's.They never said anything about cheap thou lol.Never heard of last mile myself although there are hundreds of wisps etc around too

agtle

@teksavvy.com
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

I believe Grimsby and parts of the Town of Lincoln also have small amounts of FTTN. They each have 20,000 people. Hey, what do you know, that's the size of Dunnville in Haldimand County.

true but the 20,000 in grimsby have a far higher average income than the 20,000 in dunnville. that is what bell cares about.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by agtle :

true but the 20,000 in grimsby have a far higher average income than the 20,000 in dunnville. that is what bell cares about.

Not really, considering that St. Catharines-Niagara has the lowest median household income in all of Ontario, and there entire city of St. Catharines is blanketed in 50/10 Fibe and Fibe TV, with more being built out into Niagara Falls, Welland and eventually even Port Colborne and Fort Erie. Port Colborne is only about 15,000 people, too.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to bjlockie
said by bjlockie:

Hah, apparently not here in London, population 366K (or 474K Metro)!

Lots and lots of 6M DSL MAX here. Even when I was actually with Bell last summer, they could not offer anything faster than 6M.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

Honestly, at this point internet access in the first world is an essential service. The government should step in and subsidize it if it's not cost effective. We did it with phone and hydro.

While internet access may be considered essential, ultra-fast access is a whole other story since most of the stuff that requires (very) high speeds is either generally considered non-residential use or luxury/entertainment/non-essential.

Aside from VoIP, online banking/eGov/etc. and online shopping which can be accommodated even on 1Mbps access, what are the genuinely essential non-commercial/professional uses for FTTH that cannot be met with ADSL2/VDSL2?

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
VDSL2 would be great. I was speaking to the areas that are capped at less than 2mbit down and flaky wireless connections. I know of a lot of people in that situation right now. And it sucks. And while it may be possible to do many tasks with a 1mbit connection, it's so painful that many people avoid it. Today's media rich internet is not setup for slow connections.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
said by stevey_frac:

Today's media rich internet is not setup for slow connections.

But most online services that would qualify as essential either have no UI, are practically text-only or simply feed data to an app that handles the UI.

Yes, 1Mbps would be painfully slow but it is enough to get most essential stuff done. Turning images off and installing AdBlock/FlashBlock is always an option if you want lean and mean browsing over a slow connection... find the page you want and enable images/flash on an as-needed basis.

I haven't tried browsing with images off in a long time, I bet it would be pretty zippy at 1Mbps with today's browsers and PCs.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

VDSL2 would be great. I was speaking to the areas that are capped at less than 2mbit down and flaky wireless connections. I know of a lot of people in that situation right now. And it sucks. And while it may be possible to do many tasks with a 1mbit connection, it's so painful that many people avoid it. Today's media rich internet is not setup for slow connections.

Shockingly, people still use dialup. Now THAT is painfully slow - 1mbps isn't.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
I've used 2 meg DSL at my inlaws and it's actually quite good. I suppose it wouldn't be sufficient for a family of power users on Netflix but I had no problems with it.