share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to andyb

Re: Outlook for people still on GAS

Parts of Haldimand County can get wireless from Last Mile Wireless based out of Fort Erie. They are open about and outright advertise the fact they have no caps, but their fastest speeds are still only 5Mbit/s.

Great company to deal with in case anyone out that way needs wireless, though.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

There are options but...Silo in a partnership with brant,haldiman,norfolk to get available to everyone in those area's.They never said anything about cheap thou lol.Never heard of last mile myself although there are hundreds of wisps etc around too

agtle

@teksavvy.com
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

I believe Grimsby and parts of the Town of Lincoln also have small amounts of FTTN. They each have 20,000 people. Hey, what do you know, that's the size of Dunnville in Haldimand County.

true but the 20,000 in grimsby have a far higher average income than the 20,000 in dunnville. that is what bell cares about.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by agtle :

true but the 20,000 in grimsby have a far higher average income than the 20,000 in dunnville. that is what bell cares about.

Not really, considering that St. Catharines-Niagara has the lowest median household income in all of Ontario, and there entire city of St. Catharines is blanketed in 50/10 Fibe and Fibe TV, with more being built out into Niagara Falls, Welland and eventually even Port Colborne and Fort Erie. Port Colborne is only about 15,000 people, too.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to bjlockie

said by bjlockie:

Population density is what matters.

Hah, apparently not here in London, population 366K (or 474K Metro)!

Lots and lots of 6M DSL MAX here. Even when I was actually with Bell last summer, they could not offer anything faster than 6M.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to stevey_frac

said by stevey_frac:

Honestly, at this point internet access in the first world is an essential service. The government should step in and subsidize it if it's not cost effective. We did it with phone and hydro.

While internet access may be considered essential, ultra-fast access is a whole other story since most of the stuff that requires (very) high speeds is either generally considered non-residential use or luxury/entertainment/non-essential.

Aside from VoIP, online banking/eGov/etc. and online shopping which can be accommodated even on 1Mbps access, what are the genuinely essential non-commercial/professional uses for FTTH that cannot be met with ADSL2/VDSL2?

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

VDSL2 would be great. I was speaking to the areas that are capped at less than 2mbit down and flaky wireless connections. I know of a lot of people in that situation right now. And it sucks. And while it may be possible to do many tasks with a 1mbit connection, it's so painful that many people avoid it. Today's media rich internet is not setup for slow connections.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03

said by stevey_frac:

Today's media rich internet is not setup for slow connections.

But most online services that would qualify as essential either have no UI, are practically text-only or simply feed data to an app that handles the UI.

Yes, 1Mbps would be painfully slow but it is enough to get most essential stuff done. Turning images off and installing AdBlock/FlashBlock is always an option if you want lean and mean browsing over a slow connection... find the page you want and enable images/flash on an as-needed basis.

I haven't tried browsing with images off in a long time, I bet it would be pretty zippy at 1Mbps with today's browsers and PCs.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to stevey_frac

said by stevey_frac:

VDSL2 would be great. I was speaking to the areas that are capped at less than 2mbit down and flaky wireless connections. I know of a lot of people in that situation right now. And it sucks. And while it may be possible to do many tasks with a 1mbit connection, it's so painful that many people avoid it. Today's media rich internet is not setup for slow connections.

Shockingly, people still use dialup. Now THAT is painfully slow - 1mbps isn't.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

I've used 2 meg DSL at my inlaws and it's actually quite good. I suppose it wouldn't be sufficient for a family of power users on Netflix but I had no problems with it.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1Mbit/s is fine for browsing, but the moment you try to download anything it becomes obvious just how slow it is.